SONY A7RII may be less of an offer than you think

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
3kramd5 said:
Maiaibing said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Canon has inferior products? B. S. The problem is inferior "photographers". Look at the link Dylan777 provided below. Looks like it was all done with Canon gear. Inferior my a$$. Talent! TALENT!

Interesting comment from someone who has a new camera, several of the newest Canon lenses and flashes.

So talent is everything? Please explain how is getting new upgraded Canon gear different from just getting any other new upgraded gear? Or are you also just another inferior photographer chasing the rainbow?

The way I interpreted his post was more generous: upgrading gear, or chasing greener grass, will not necessarily improve your results. However, it may. Whether or not it does is up to the user.

Exactly the point. :)

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
I'm considering purchasing a a7rii instead of a 5Ds. I've been using the x100s lately for my high speed sync needs and I could use the a7rii for what I'd use the already slow MF system for. I could sell the hassy, pickup a a7rii with an adapter and tandem it with my x100s for my needs. The issue with the hassy is getting lenses at a reasonable pricing used and being able to use my canon stuff I already have with the a7rii would save me the headache. Per usual though, I won't pay full price and will wait 6 months after release to get a better price / get rid of the initial kinks.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
RLPhoto said:
I'm considering purchasing a a7rii instead of a 5Ds. I've been using the x100s lately for my high speed sync needs and I could use the a7rii for what I'd use the already slow MF system for. I could sell the hassy, pickup a a7rii with an adapter and tandem it with my x100s for my needs. The issue with the hassy is getting lenses at a reasonable pricing used and being able to use my canon stuff I already have with the a7rii would save me the headache. Per usual though, I won't pay full price and will wait 6 months after release to get a better price / get rid of the initial kinks.

I would take 5Ds/r if I'm in your situation - very simple reason, L glasses.

I combined the A7s & A7rII series in my photography for one thing - size and weight for family trips. There are pros and cons in each systems. I simply don't believe in EF to E-mount will work, at least for the Pros. The only lens that really WOW me in their native lenses is FE55mm. My expectation on new Zeiss Batis lenses is high - crossing my fingers.

Hope you think twice before making a jump.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
neuroanatomist said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Anyone who thinks that switching systems is going to make all the difference in their work is fooling themselves.

Yet some are convinced that when they switch from Canon to Sony last year in August in September someday, it will lift their images from mundane to sublime.

Yup. It is like saying a better hat will make one smarter. One has nothing to do with the other.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

I combined the A7s & A7rII series in my photography for one thing - size and weight for family trips. There are pros and cons in each systems. I simply don't believe in EF to E-mount will work, at least for the Pros. The only lens that really WOW me in their native lenses is FE55mm. My expectation on new Zeiss Batis lenses is high - crossing my fingers.

I'd definitely keep my 5d3, there is no doubts on that. It's been a solid workhorse of a camera for the past two years but the issue is its just fine where it's at. I don't see anything canon has released thay makes me want to upgrade from my 5D3. It's fast, effective, the files are great for weddings and quick photojournalist stuff.

The a7rii using canon glass would be slow. I accept that it will be slow but thay doesn't matter much to me as the hassy is also really slow. The process of setting up lights and tuning my exposure is a slow process and the a7rii wouldn't hinder me even if it was a glacier. I just need a box with a great sensor in it and the a7rii is looking very tempting but I can wait for it to drop in price as all a7 camera do after a few months.

The main reason I didn't buy the a7r was because of being a first Gen product. Just look how much they improved on it enough to peak the many attentions of canon users, include me.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

I'd definitely keep my 5d3, there is no doubts on that. It's been a solid workhorse of a camera for the past two years but the issue is its just fine where it's at. I don't see anything canon has released thay makes me want to upgrade from my 5D3. It's fast, effective, the files are great for weddings and quick photojournalist stuff.

The a7rii using canon glass would be slow. I accept that it will be slow but thay doesn't matter much to me as the hassy is also really slow. The process of setting up lights and tuning my exposure is a slow process and the a7rii wouldn't hinder me even if it was a glacier. I just need a box with a great sensor in it and the a7rii is looking very tempting but I can wait for it to drop in price as all a7 camera do after a few months.

The main reason I didn't buy the a7r was because of being a first Gen product. Just look how much they improved on it enough to peak the many attentions of canon users, include me.

I don't think that the difference between the Sony and Canon sensors is big, and I thought that the difference between FF and MF was big enough for the price difference to not matter for pros, but was the difference only in MPs? The bigger sensor size should be a big difference in comparison, and some like the colors... so is the difference between the MF and FF so small that the a7RII will be enough?

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
I've been using MF for its sync speed and it happens to have lenses I can swap and fantastic IQ. The issue is getting lenses that even used go for 2k$ each and I'd need two more primes. So I've been shooting everything with the 80mm and had it fail on me during a shoot. So meantime I've been using an x100s as a backup/ 35mm equivalent camera to my hasselblad and I've found its been simply amazing for aps-c. It doesn't even come close to the hassy in IQ, but I don't need it to the majority of the time. So, I could replace my MF system with two mirror less cameras, one for the high IQ and the x100s for its sync speed. Maybe down the road when pentax does release a line of leaf shutter lenses and the successor to the 645z, I'll look back into MF. At the moment, the a7rii with all my canon lenses is a very likely purchase.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CanonFanBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Anyone who thinks that switching systems is going to make all the difference in their work is fooling themselves.

Yet some are convinced that when they switch from Canon to Sony last year in August in September someday, it will lift their images from mundane to sublime.

Yup. It is like saying a better hat will make one smarter. One has nothing to do with the other.

Depends on the hat. ;)

51wQO83HIhL.jpg

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

As with most things, it depends on the situation. Like you, I have an A7r for the size and convenience when traveling and for my needs (architecture and interiors) the combination works perfectly and make traveling a breeze. It's also one of the few real-life situations (for me at least) where being able to coax cleaner shadows makes a tangible difference to the finished product, as I can't always run a decent lighting setup if I'm going fast and loose.

To be completely fair, given no limitations (travel, time, baggage etc.) it wouldn't be my ideal solution, but as a "best case compromise" scenario, I have a real hard time beating the combination.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

From what I've read, the Sony FE 55mm is truly a WOW lens. But the Zeiss Batis 85mm has 3% pincushion distortion according to Diglloyd:
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2015/20150429_1044-ZeissBatis-85f1_8-MTF.html

That's a pretty sorry number for a $1,200 lens, especially when Canon's 85/1.8 has only 0.24% distortion and costs $349 right now.

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013
zlatko said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

From what I've read, the Sony FE 55mm is truly a WOW lens. But the Zeiss Batis 85mm has 3% pincushion distortion according to Diglloyd:

That's a pretty sorry number for a $1,200 lens, especially when Canon's 85/1.8 has only 0.24% distortion and costs $349 right now.

And suddenly distortion of a lens is the most important property, because a FE lens has it. Who cares about stuff like:

"The MTF chart shows excellent micro contrast wide open at f/1.8 with highly uniform sharpness corner to corner at all apertures. Overall contrast is superb wide open, even into the corners.

Peak performance is reached at center by f/2.8, but the variation (wave inflection) across the field looks to be a mild field curvature; stopping down a bit more delivers outstanding micro contrast at f/5.6, far exceeding most lenses and no less good than the very best Leica M lens. "

It is not like distortion is hard to correct, and I bet the Batis beats the crap out of the Canon lens even after you check the box for correcting it.

It is funny reading these forums.

Upvote 0
msm said:
zlatko said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

And suddenly distortion of a lens is the most important property, because a FE lens has it. Who cares about stuff like:

"The MTF chart shows excellent micro contrast wide open at f/1.8 with highly uniform sharpness corner to corner at all apertures. Overall contrast is superb wide open, even into the corners.

Peak performance is reached at center by f/2.8, but the variation (wave inflection) across the field looks to be a mild field curvature; stopping down a bit more delivers outstanding micro contrast at f/5.6, far exceeding most lenses and no less good than the very best Leica M lens. "

It is not like distortion is hard to correct, and I bet the Batis beats the crap out of the Canon lens even after you check the box for correcting it.

It is funny reading these forums.

Who said distortion is "the most" important property? Heavy distortion is associated with cheap lenses. What's remarkable is finding this level of distortion in a not-so-cheap $1,200 lens. If Canon made an 85mm with that much distortion, we'd be hearing the usual repetitions of how Canon is milking customers and not being innovative and how the marketing dept. is to blame.

What's funny is how heavily and persistently some people promote everything Sony on a Canon rumors forum.

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013
zlatko said:
Who said distortion is "the most" important property? Heavy distortion is associated with cheap lenses. What's remarkable is finding this level of distortion in a not-so-cheap $1,200 lens. If Canon made an 85mm with that much distortion, we'd be hearing the usual repetitions of how Canon is milking customers and not being innovative and how the marketing dept. is to blame.

Well you didn't find it worth to mention the other stuff from the review so I can only guess you didn't feel that was as important...

What's funny is how heavily and persistently some people promote everything Sony on a Canon rumors forum.

Oh, you mean like you and certain other individuals "heavily and persistently" try to promote Canon and try to discredit Sony/Nikon at any opportunity?

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
3kramd5 said:
The way I interpreted his post was more generous: upgrading gear, or chasing greener grass, will not necessarily improve your results. However, it may. Whether or not it does is up to the user.

Hard to disagree with the basic point, but I'm pretty sure that since I decided I liked using old manual lenses, I've been generally taking better photos - for all the reasons usually given (the process slows you down, you have to think more about what you're photographing and why, etc.); so in a sense that's improving by downgrading. But only in part - it is, ironically, the most recent mirrorless cameras that make such downgrading easier ....

As for the original post, I'm more than a tad skeptical about Metabones AF speed too (via mine on my a7r, manual focusing is usually faster); nice if it proves true, of course.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
quod said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Keep chasing that rainbow! Skill and talent cannot be bought or provided by any camera manufacturer.
Ah yes! But clean shadows can be bought [from Sony] and provided for [by Sony]. I will chase that clean shadowed rainbow as far as it will take me.

I'm sure you'll find greener grass at the end of that rainbow. Why are you still here, exactly? ::)

Upvote 0