SONY A7RII may be less of an offer than you think

msm said:
zlatko said:
Who said distortion is "the most" important property? Heavy distortion is associated with cheap lenses. What's remarkable is finding this level of distortion in a not-so-cheap $1,200 lens. If Canon made an 85mm with that much distortion, we'd be hearing the usual repetitions of how Canon is milking customers and not being innovative and how the marketing dept. is to blame.

Well you didn't find it worth to mention the other stuff from the review so I can only guess you didn't feel that was as important...

What's funny is how heavily and persistently some people promote everything Sony on a Canon rumors forum.

Oh, you mean like you and certain other individuals "heavily and persistently" try to promote Canon and try to discredit Sony/Nikon at any opportunity?

Diglloyd presents one number (% distortion) that is easy to compare objectively to Canon's, and the Zeiss lens fared poorly in comparison. His other comments about the lens are favorable, but don't offer a basis for objective comparison. So yes, I highlighted that poor performance as a counterpoint to all of the endless Canon-bashing on this forum.

It's a Canon gear forum — a perfect place to point out Canon's advantages — especially in light of the constant Canon-bashing comments.

I don't go on Sony or Nikon forums to complain about their products. That would be silly. If I had a preference for some other brand, I would be using that other brand and wouldn't be here everyday complaining about Canon. That would be silly — but some people seem to do it all of the time.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
zlatko said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:
I'm considering purchasing a a7rii instead of a 5Ds. I've been using the x100s lately for my high speed sync needs and I could use the a7rii for what I'd use the already slow MF system for. I could sell the hassy, pickup a a7rii with an adapter and tandem it with my x100s for my needs. The issue with the hassy is getting lenses at a reasonable pricing used and being able to use my canon stuff I already have with the a7rii would save me the headache. Per usual though, I won't pay full price and will wait 6 months after release to get a better price / get rid of the initial kinks.

I would take 5Ds/r if I'm in your situation - very simple reason, L glasses.

I combined the A7s & A7rII series in my photography for one thing - size and weight for family trips. There are pros and cons in each systems. I simply don't believe in EF to E-mount will work, at least for the Pros. The only lens that really WOW me in their native lenses is FE55mm. My expectation on new Zeiss Batis lenses is high - crossing my fingers.

Hope you think twice before making a jump.

From what I've read, the Sony FE 55mm is truly a WOW lens. But the Zeiss Batis 85mm has 3% pincushion distortion according to Diglloyd:
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2015/20150429_1044-ZeissBatis-85f1_8-MTF.html

That's a pretty sorry number for a $1,200 lens, especially when Canon's 85/1.8 has only 0.24% distortion and costs $349 right now.
My 2cents: Zeiss Batis 85mm and ef 85mm f1.8 are not on the same league. Batis will give better results over all, from build quality to rendering.

I do agree EF 85mm is a good lens for $$$.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
zlatko said:
What's funny is how heavily and persistently some people promote everything Sony on a Canon rumors forum.

Except that this particular part of the board is about cameras other than Canon:

"Industry news that doesn't pertain to Canon"

So promoting non-Canon products is perfectly acceptable here, and in fact is what this part of the board is about.

Upvote 0
quod said:
msm said:
Oh, you mean like you and certain other individuals "heavily and persistently" try to promote Canon and try to discredit Sony/Nikon at any opportunity?
+1000

No body discredit Nikon or Sony, the only ones who are discredited are the ones promoting Sony and bashing Canon without logic, no body discredit jrista or Dylan for example because they are people who logicly present their opinion and back it up with facts.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
sdsr said:
3kramd5 said:
The way I interpreted his post was more generous: upgrading gear, or chasing greener grass, will not necessarily improve your results. However, it may. Whether or not it does is up to the user.

Hard to disagree with the basic point, but I'm pretty sure that since I decided I liked using old manual lenses, I've been generally taking better photos - for all the reasons usually given (the process slows you down, you have to think more about what you're photographing and why, etc.); so in a sense that's improving by downgrading.

You can slow down and shoot methodically with AF lenses too. If you have to hamstring yourself to force it, that's a discipline problem :p

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
zlatko said:

Except that this particular part of the board is about cameras other than Canon:

"Industry news that doesn't pertain to Canon"

So promoting non-Canon products is perfectly acceptable here, and in fact is what this part of the board is about.

Right you are, but the Sony promoters are all over the forum, not just Industry news. I don't promote Canon advantages on a Sony or Nikon rumors forum, even in their Industry news board. It would be silly. But that doesn't stop people from pushing the Sony sensor here every day.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
zlatko said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:
I'm considering purchasing a a7rii instead of a 5Ds. I've been using the x100s lately for my high speed sync needs and I could use the a7rii for what I'd use the already slow MF system for. I could sell the hassy, pickup a a7rii with an adapter and tandem it with my x100s for my needs. The issue with the hassy is getting lenses at a reasonable pricing used and being able to use my canon stuff I already have with the a7rii would save me the headache. Per usual though, I won't pay full price and will wait 6 months after release to get a better price / get rid of the initial kinks.

I combined the A7s & A7rII series in my photography for one thing - size and weight for family trips. There are pros and cons in each systems. I simply don't believe in EF to E-mount will work, at least for the Pros. The only lens that really WOW me in their native lenses is FE55mm. My expectation on new Zeiss Batis lenses is high - crossing my fingers.

From what I've read, the Sony FE 55mm is truly a WOW lens. But the Zeiss Batis 85mm has 3% pincushion distortion according to Diglloyd:

That's a pretty sorry number for a $1,200 lens, especially when Canon's 85/1.8 has only 0.24% distortion and costs $349 right now.

You want to talk distortion?

Clearly you don't own very many zoom lenses that bear the name "Canon" on them.

Canon's 24-105/f4L has 4.28% distortion at the wide end and its RRP is $999 in store.

Distortion on Canon's 16-35/f2.8 II is 3.26% at the wide end and its RRP is $1599.

You can easily pay over $1000 for a Canon lens and get ugly levels of distortion.

So you have to compare a short telephoto prime to two zooms, one super-wide to wide and the other wide to tele, to make this point? Really?

By the way, have you got your Sony yet?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
quod said:
neuroanatomist said:
I'm sure you'll find greener grass at the end of that rainbow. Why are you still here, exactly? ::)
Why are you trolling the Sony threads, exactly? ::)

Check around your residence for something that looks like this:

HCH66XV_mi.jpg

It might help you spot the troll.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
You haven't presented one comment that is remotely neutral or positive about the benefits that Sony's presence in the camera marketplace. On the contrary, you metastasize to every Sony thread with snarky comments and embellishments of Canon innovation, marketing success, yada yada yada. That's troll behavior. Perhaps you could post 16,000+ posts in the "5DS is awesome" threads because some of us are actually excited about what Sony has to offer.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
quod said:
neuroanatomist said:
You haven't presented one comment that is remotely neutral or positive about the benefits that Sony's presence in the camera marketplace.

ahem

neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:
Well done Sony. If only Canon could show a bit of vision, even a smidge :(

I'm not sure a $1000 point-and-shoot camera is in line with Canon's vision. :eek:

Still, I remain interested in the RX100 line.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
zlatko said:
dilbert said:
zlatko said:

You want to talk distortion?

Clearly you don't own very many zoom lenses that bear the name "Canon" on them.

Canon's 24-105/f4L has 4.28% distortion at the wide end and its RRP is $999 in store.

Distortion on Canon's 16-35/f2.8 II is 3.26% at the wide end and its RRP is $1599.

You can easily pay over $1000 for a Canon lens and get ugly levels of distortion.

So you have to compare a short telephoto prime to two zooms, one super-wide to wide and the other wide to tele, to make this point? Really?

By the way, have you got your Sony yet?

You linked distortion to the price tag, I merely completed your linkage by pointing out that you can spend the same or more on Canon lenses (that people praise quite highly for other reasons) and also get stupid amounts of distortion. Feel free to remove price from the discussion.

The other conclusion to draw from this is that because you don't see people harping on here about the high levels of distortion with the 16-35/f2.8 II that distortion isn't as big of an issue as it is made out to be.

Oh please, the point wasn't just about price. 3% pincushion distortion is ridiculously high for any 85mm lens, regardless of price. 85mm lenses typically have very low distortion. Wide angle zooms typically have more distortion; it's much harder to design out. Sony's zooms have at least as much distortion as Canon's and don't cost less, so no advantage there.

Still wondering ... have you got your Sony yet?

Upvote 0
quod said:
neuroanatomist said:
You haven't presented one comment that is remotely neutral or positive about the benefits that Sony's presence in the camera marketplace. On the contrary, you metastasize to every Sony thread with snarky comments and embellishments of Canon innovation, marketing success, yada yada yada. That's troll behavior. Perhaps you could post 16,000+ posts in the "5DS is awesome" threads because some of us are actually excited about what Sony has to offer.

+1000

Neuro is best left ignored. Just watch as he doesn't' reply to your comment and will resurface when someone posts another Sony or Nikon related comment/thread and offer some idiotic remark discrediting that Sony/nikon product.

Upvote 0
zlatko said:
It's a Canon gear forum — a perfect place to point out Canon's advantages — especially in light of the constant Canon-bashing comments.

Fanboys have an easy, carefree life with all the answers in stock "My brand is the greatest and has no faults". However, I prefer facts and to meet the realities of life with an open mind.

I have invested more in Canon gear over the last decade than 99.99% of Canon users and got myself a brand new 6D this week. I'll bash, hammer, complain about every single shortfall I can find with any Canon gear that does not live up to my expectations or current tech levels. Its my money and I want the best. Always. I've also posted lots of factual reviews, tests and samples to show what I am talking about.

I'm on preorder for the new SONY and I'll bash, hammer, complain about every single shortfall I can find with that camera too. I am sure SONY fanboys will attack me for that too. In fact that has already happened earlier in this thread. Twice. For no reason at all.

Such is the life of forums.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
quod said:
neuroanatomist said:
You haven't presented one comment that is remotely neutral or positive about the benefits that Sony's presence in the camera marketplace.

You need to read more.

that1guyy said:
Neuro is best left ignored. Just watch as he doesn't' reply to your comment and will resurface when someone posts another Sony or Nikon related comment/thread and offer some idiotic remark discrediting that Sony/nikon product.

Then feel free to do so. Also feel free to continue making insightful and pithy comments like this one:

that1guyy said:
So they're copying Sony's A7 line. canon is doomed.

I guess you need that mirror, too. ::)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Dylan777 said:
zlatko said:
Dylan777 said:
RLPhoto said:

My 2cents: Zeiss Batis 85mm and ef 85mm f1.8 are not on the same league. Batis will give better results over all, from build quality to rendering.

I do agree EF 85mm is a good lens for $$$.

I saw this video on SR: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/kai-reviews-the-new-batis-lenses-bloody-awesome-image-quality/

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
zlatko said:

Fanboys have an easy, carefree life with all the answers in stock "My brand is the greatest and has no faults". However, I prefer facts and to meet the realities of life with an open mind.

I have invested more in Canon gear over the last decade than 99.99% of Canon users and got myself a brand new 6D this week. I'll bash, hammer, complain about every single shortfall I can find with any Canon gear that does not live up to my expectations or current tech levels. Its my money and I want the best. Always. I've also posted lots of factual reviews, tests and samples to show what I am talking about.

I'm on preorder for the new SONY and I'll bash, hammer, complain about every single shortfall I can find with that camera too. I am sure SONY fanboys will attack me for that too. In fact that has already happened earlier in this thread. Twice. For no reason at all.

Such is the life of forums.

Canon has faults, just as any system has faults. Of course there are things that could be improved. Still, Canon has quite a lot going for it. Enough for me to want to counter the constant barrage of Sony promotion, always harping about low ISO DR, low ISO DR, low ISO DR. Yeah, I've heard it ~1,000 times now. Those who feel that Sony's new camera has "killed" the latest from Canon really ought to put their money where their mouth is. You've done that, so good for you! Some others should do the same. Instead of harping about Sony's low ISO DR, just buy the thing already if it means that much.

Upvote 0