S&Q Motion in Full HD from 1-120 fps
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
Hybrid Phase Detection AF System
0.5″ 2.36M-Dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF
3.0″ 1,228.8k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
ISO 102,400 and 12 fps Shooting with AF
Dual SD Card Slots; 14-Bit Raw Output

It will ship in November for $3,199!

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilca-99m2/specifications

Let the battle begin. The better 5D Mk IV? Let us wait until this page adds all specs.

The evil Sonikon empire strikes back.

Nov 17, 2011
xps said:
Dylan777 said:
Would be more exciting if there is a9 :)
One of my family members is working for this company. He says, it will appear on the market soon...

A-mount officially dead. Sony might as well releases A9 ;D

Edit: just went through some specs. Tilt screen and eye AF are the two features I use daily. Ok, A-mount is not dead yet... ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Flamingtree said:
Do these things have the same mount as the a7rII etc?

No, they have an SLR mount ("a mount"). a7 series is mirrorless with a short flange distance ("fe mount").

Thanks. My read of the Sony strategy was to leave fighting canon in the slr market to Nikon (with Sony sensors). good on them for having another crack at the market. It's only good for us consumers.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Flamingtree said:
3kramd5 said:
Flamingtree said:
Do these things have the same mount as the a7rII etc?

No, they have an SLR mount ("a mount"). a7 series is mirrorless with a short flange distance ("fe mount").

Thanks. My read of the Sony strategy was to leave fighting canon in the slr market to Nikon (with Sony sensors). good on them for having another crack at the market. It's only good for us consumers.

I suspect Sony is marching towards mirrorless only, but so far the autofocus isn't on par with dedicated off-sensor units. The day they decide it is, the mirror will go.

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
Etienne said:
4K full sensor readout without pixel binning, and XAVC-S codec.
It make you wonder why can't Canon put their XF codec and C-Log in the 5D mk IV.

I'm pretty sure it's only the Super 35 mode that runs without pixel binning.
https://youtu.be/HCuCON4jdgY?t=17m38s

From the official announcement:
Movie Magic

For the first time in a Sony A-mount camera, the α99 II has the ability to record 4K video internally16 with full pixel readout and no pixel binning17...

17. In Super 35mm recording mode

Upvote 0
plam_1980 said:
9VIII said:
Etienne said:
It make you wonder why can't Canon put their XF codec and C-Log in the 5D mk IV.

Movie Magic

For the first time in a Sony A-mount camera, the α99 II has the ability to record 4K video internally16 with full pixel readout and no pixel binning17...

So if I understand this correctly, this works in the same way as for the 1DXII and the 5DIV??
Then the crop factor should be even higher than with the 5DIV...and a lot of people were already complaining about that crop factor in terms of UWA 4K filming....

Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:
plam_1980 said:
9VIII said:
Etienne said:

Movie Magic

So if I understand this correctly, this works in the same way as for the 1DXII and the 5DIV??
Then the crop factor should be even higher than with the 5DIV...and a lot of people were already complaining about that crop factor in terms of UWA 4K filming....

It doesn't become very clear if the explanation is for both full pixel readout and no pixel binning or only the latter. Any thoughts anyone?

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
The specs are quite interesting, but what's the situation with the new translucent mirror? Is it the same 1/2 of a stop light drop? If they're aiming at the pro market, what about lenses? $13k for the 500 f/4 - no thank you... :)
12 fps - what are the limitations? If one day they decide the mirrorless AF is ready for the prime time - what's going to happen to your A-mount lens collection? The 85 and 135 primes are still screw-driven... GM series is only for the E-mount. So basically 2 FF mounts competing each other? I'm lost...

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Jopa said:
The specs are quite interesting, but what's the situation with the new translucent mirror? Is it the same 1/2 of a stop light drop? If they're aiming at the pro market, what about lenses? $13k for the 500 f/4 - no thank you... :)
12 fps - what are the limitations? If one day they decide the mirrorless AF is ready for the prime time - what's going to happen to your A-mount lens collection? The 85 and 135 primes are still screw-driven... GM series is only for the E-mount. So basically 2 FF mounts competing each other? I'm lost...

12 fps with a blank viewfinder and rear screen. 8 fps is the limit if you want to see anything.

And yes, the SLT design makes the T stop of the system (lens/body combo) lower than the lens on a normal camera (mirrorless or SLR) would be.

Upvote 0