Sony A99 announced

Nov 4, 2011
Re: Sony A99 ... flogging a dead horse!

what a waste of resources. fat camera with mirror in lightpath at all times. no idea why sony does this. launching a dead system product that will only sell a few hundeed copies at best and never make any profit, while large mumbers of an excellent mirrorless A9 plus FE lenses could be sold. sony aüparently lost in smoke and mirrors, it seems.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

AvTvM said:
what a waste of resources. fat camera with mirror in lightpath at all times. no idea why sony does this. launching a dead system product that will only sell a few hundeed copies at best and never make any profit, while large mumbers of an excellent mirrorless A9 plus FE lenses could be sold. sony aüparently lost in smoke and mirrors, it seems.

Stupid Sony. :p

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Jopa said:
If one day they decide the mirrorless AF is ready for the prime time - what's going to happen to your A-mount lens collection?

The same thing that will happen to your EF lens collection when Canon goes mirrorless for all of its cameras: you use an adapter or sell and buy new.
I checked with M3 users about adapter compatibility. EF to EFM adapter is just a physical connection. Electricals are same for both the mounts. Some EFS lens are suppose to be even faster in focusing with M(55-250mm and 50mm). Ofcourse adapter is another extra part and makes whole setup bigger. But it atleast works like a native lens in terms of functionality.

In contrast Sony adapters are not compatible with all the functionality.They need to keep updating. Every new camera has problem with old adapter. It is just not a simple adapter.

There is one big difference in adapters.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
what a waste of resources. fat camera with mirror in lightpath at all times. no idea why sony does this. launching a dead system product that will only sell a few hundred copies at best and never make any profit, while large numbers of an excellent mirrorless A9 plus FE lenses could be sold. sony apparently lost in smoke and mirrors, it seems.

you say it! I agree wholeheartedly.

Upvote 0

AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
what a waste of resources. fat camera with mirror in lightpath at all times. no idea why sony does this. launching a dead system product that will only sell a few hundred copies at best and never make any profit, while large numbers of an excellent mirrorless A9 plus FE lenses could be sold. sony apparently lost in smoke and mirrors, it seems.

you say it! I agree wholeheartedly.

So now it's about making profit? I thought you wanted everyone to make the camera you personally dream of? ???

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
Please forgive my ignorance in this matter. The camera is an "A" mount. There is a metabones Sony E-mount adapter for Canon lenses. Are they talking about the same thing and will the adapter work on the A99? I know some lenses won't have full function but I'd like to try out this camera but don't want to buy new glass. Not considering replacing my 5D but I have a bad case of GAS and can afford new toys.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:

At least it's not a flappy, slappy mirror....

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Labdoc said:
Please forgive my ignorance in this matter. The camera is an "A" mount. There is a metabones Sony E-mount adapter for Canon lenses. Are they talking about the same thing and will the adapter work on the A99? I know some lenses won't have full function but I'd like to try out this camera but don't want to buy new glass. Not considering replacing my 5D but I have a bad case of GAS and can afford new toys.

Canon EF/EF-S has a 44.0mm flange distance. Sony E/FE has an 18.0mm flange distance, so all that's needed to optically get the lens in the right place is a 26mm spacer.

For the Sony A mount, which this camera is, it has a 44.5mm flange distance. Your only option of adapting lenses from Canon to Sony A mount is by using and angle grinder.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
rs said:
Labdoc said:

Canon EF/EF-S has a 44.0mm flange distance. Sony E/FE has an 18.0mm flange distance, so all that's needed to optically get the lens in the right place is a 26mm spacer.

For the Sony A mount, which this camera is, it has a 44.5mm flange distance. Your only option of adapting lenses from Canon to Sony A mount is by using and angle grinder.
So, no go. Not doubting you, but the only confusion I still have is that the adapter works with the A7R2 according to Amazon. isn't that the same mount? Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Labdoc said:
rs said:
Labdoc said:

So, no go. Not doubting you, but the only confusion I still have is that the adapter works with the A7R2 according to Amazon. isn't that the same mount? Thanks for the reply

In a bid to keep everything simple, Sony have Alpha cameras out there with two mount types. The A7R2 is FE (a full frame version of E mount), whereas all of their SLT cameras and earlier DSLR cameras are A mount. You really have to read the fine print to find out what lenses the camera will take, especially when it comes to SLT looking cameras such as the A3000.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Labdoc said:

Sony has 2 mounts:
* A-mount for DSLRs and SLTs [like A99 II], with lenses for FF and APS-C image circle; flange distance longer than Canon EF, so no adapter for EF lenses to Sony body available
* E-Mount for mirrorless cameras, with FE-lenses for FF image circle [A7, A7 II series] and E-lenses for APS-C [A6300]; flange distance is a lot shorter than Canon EF, makin it easy to adapt EF lenses to Sony (E-mount bodies using a simple extension tube adapter (without lens elements) to provide correct flange distance. To (partially) enable lens protocol functionality like aperture control, AF, IS etc. adapter needs some not so simple electronics inside. :)

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
AvTvM said:
Labdoc said:

Sony has 2 mounts:
* A-mount for DSLRs and SLTs [like A99 II], with lenses for FF and APS-C image circle; flange distance longer than Canon EF, so no adapter for EF lenses to Sony body available
* E-Mount for mirrorless cameras, with FE-lenses for FF image circle [A7, A7 II series] and E-lenses for APS-C [A6300]; flange distance is a lot shorter than Canon EF, makin it easy to adapt EF lenses to Sony (E-mount bodies using a simple extension tube adapter (without lens elements) to provide correct flange distance. To (partially) enable lens protocol functionality like aperture control, AF, IS etc. adapter needs some not so simple electronics inside. :)
Got it, thanks so much. They make it confusing having the A7 and A9 lines both start with A.

Upvote 0