Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use sRAW/mRAW infrequently

• I seldom use sRAW/mRAW

• Total voters

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
One of my friends is a marine biologist and works on the national geographic expedition ships to Antarctica. One of the guests on board let him borrow a spare 7DMKII for him to try out and it was in SRAW.

Incredibly they happened upon a polar bear on the ice with a fresh seal kill. He got some absolutely incredible images while it ate.

later he looked at the images and found out it had been SRAW, 5mp files. How devastated would you be.

In my mind there is 0 reason to shoot in the smaller raw files you can always reduce them later

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
tomscott said:
One of my friends is a marine biologist and works on the national geographic expedition ships to Antarctica. One of the guests on board let him borrow a spare 7DMKII for him to try out and it was in SRAW.

Incredibly they happened upon a polar bear on the ice with a fresh seal kill. He got some absolutely incredible images while it ate.

later he looked at the images and found out it had been SRAW, 5mp files. How devastated would you be.

In my mind there is 0 reason to shoot in the smaller raw files you can always reduce them later

If you find a polar bear on your way to Antarctica, you need to double-check your navigational tools, because you're most definitely sailing north, not south.

That said, a very similar scenario to that which you mentioned is the reason I never switch any camera to JPEG and compulsively verify that it's still in RAW roughly every second time I pick a camera out of a bag. Preserving highlights is not a reasonable priority when shooting in JPEG with the wrong WB setting... especially not on a trip abroad... for three days straight. Burn me once, fool me no more!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Maybe the bear was bipolar. Or maybe a converted rectangular bear http://www.stevelee.name/macmania/rbear.html.

Anyhow I can't think of any reason I would use the reduced sizes in RAW or JPEG either one. I carry spare memory cards, and I don't travel in countries where more cannot be purchased.

In 2002 with my first digital camera that shot only JPEGs and had a 384MB IBM hard drive that fit in its card slot, I was wary of running out of apace on the drive during an Alaska cruise, so I shot a lot of the less scenic shots at less than full resolution. I was too conservative and wound up with space left on the drive at the end of the trip. Still, any picture that I wanted to print out was at the full size, so no real regrets.

That was then. This is now.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
tomscott said:
One of my friends is a marine biologist and works on the national geographic expedition ships to Antarctica.

Someone very confused. Captain, navigator or someone else. No polar bears in Antarctica.

No devastated. I see polar bear and fresh seal kill. Amazing experience. Don't care if not on camera.

Care more if I can get good selfie with polar bear and its dinner ;) But I dont want be dinner either ;D

Upvote 0

Ray-uk

Canon 7D Mk II
Oct 22, 2016
Rochester, UK
I have never used anything but full sized raw, I think there are other reasons why people use it other than file storage size.

There are a lot of people who have to have the most expensive camera they can get, they then use it like a point and shoot, doing no PP then only viewing their pictures at a small size or putting them on the web. It could then make sense to have small file sizes which are quicker to upload and require less resizing.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
hne said:
tomscott said:

If you find a polar bear on your way to Antarctica, you need to double-check your navigational tools, because you're most definitely sailing north, not south.

That said, a very similar scenario to that which you mentioned is the reason I never switch any camera to JPEG and compulsively verify that it's still in RAW roughly every second time I pick a camera out of a bag. Preserving highlights is not a reasonable priority when shooting in JPEG with the wrong WB setting... especially not on a trip abroad... for three days straight. Burn me once, fool me no more!

A few years ago I took Friday off from work and stayed home with my daughter who was a toddler at the time. We spent the whole day together doing various things (from a trip to the DMV to chasing a soccer ball around on a soccer field). I brought the 70D all along the took shots all day long. There was nothing award winning here, but there were a number of good, family fun, shots captured.

I never change my settings off of RAW, however apparently the night before I needed a picture of something real quick and just needed to email it to someone. The 70D supports a a picture size S3 which is like 0.3 MP. Apparently I used the settings and in my rush to get this picture emailed never changed the setting back. My whole day was captured in the tiniest resolution. I figured it out when I was trying to review the photos on the back LCD and I would zoom in and the picture looked awful.

Anyway, never again. If I'm not willing to process the shot through LR then just use my cell phone. I couldn't believe the 70D was capable of shooting such low resolution. I've attached a sample from that day.

EDIT: I posted a few of the pictures and my story of stupidity on facebook, there is where I pulled the picture from. So in this case it is not only low res, but highly compressed.

Attachments

• tiny70Dshot.jpg
    tiny70Dshot.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0
Only when I'm shooting casually and yet am also shooting enough to nearly fill the card; I'll switch down to a smaller raw size then to make the most out of whatever space is left.

But on a job I'd never dream of even beginning without an excess of memory cards to hand, and it's incredibly rare that when I'm shooting casually I take enough photos to fill a card even a third of the way. That may have happened twice, maybe three times in the 13 years since I moved fully-digital?

When SLRs start putting out 100mp+ files then maybe I'll use smaller options if that 'smaller' size still comes up as something like 50mp. For now that is far from an issue and I have a Phase specifically for 100mp files so even if such high resolutions became more common, though they're overkill in many situations, I'm already a little used to it and I'm sure I could adapt if lower-res files weren't available.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
In terms of using low res file sizes by mistake, why are you not using one of the custom functions (C) that specifies full RAW?

In terms of the question, I use full size RAW as if I'm going to the effort of processing in Lightroom, then I want a full res file. On the other hand, I occasionally use small jpgs e.g. for photos for Ebay. Hence, having the C functions specifying full RAW.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Would mRAW increase your burst depth?
If so, it might have its moments shooting sports action or BIF.

Do Nikon or Sony offer this odd little feature, or is it one of those exclusive Canon idiosyncrasies?

A few years ago I shot a public relations job and didn't notice that the camera (5D Classic) was set to small jpeg after an assistant had been messing around with it. That was a heart stopper. Oops! However I was amazed with careful processing how viable the files were for press release purposes, the client was happy. But never again. :p

Note: always check settings if someone else has been using your camera. :eek:

-pw

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
pwp said:
Would mRAW increase your burst depth?

In the case of the 5DS/R, no it does not (buffer stays at 12-14 RAW shots regardless of whether it's full RAW or sRAW). Unsure about other cameras though.

I've learned to adopt a "too much is better than not enough" approach over the years. In short, this means I'll always shoot full RAW, even if my aim is a small web-size pic. I can always downsize a pic, but cannot upsize it (without cost). Can always remove detail but cannot add it. and so on.

In any case, now that we have terabyte hard drives, I always keep the original RAW files - as well as full-size JPGs for ease of viewing - of all the pics I'm interested in keeping from a shoot. Space no longer the concern it once was, and it's definitely liberating.

Upvote 0