Tastes Great...Less Filling

If the new Nikon D800 is 36 MP and the new Canon 5D is 22 MP I will:

• Dump Canon because megapixels rule!

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Dump Nikon/Never buy Nikon because more megapixels are bad.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Stick with Canon but whine about it on the Canon Rumors Forum.

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • I own a 7D. What are you asking me for?

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
unfocused said:
Okay, I think polls should be fun and simple. Fewer choices the better. Just to stir things up over the weekend, let's see what people think.

And, yes, I know there are lots of other considerations, but keep it in perspective guys. This is for fun.

For us at this point in space and time, we can certainly dump Canon and not "lose" money. All of our bodies are near their life and glasses and flashes sell without much loss anyway. So, we can easily switch to Nikon, more specifically D4 and D800, if Canon does not deliver.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
I abstain from voting because I prefer a write-in vote:

...I will... Not give a crap because I'm planning to buy a 1D X (or if by heaven-sent miracle the 22 MP 5DIII also has pro-level AF and >6 fps I'll buy that instead).

Another point is that this discussion seems to be predicated on Nikon releasing a 36MP D800. I do not believe that Nikon has indeed confirmed this. The 36MP D800 appears to be a likely rumour still, but not cold hard fact.

Upvote 0
I'd guess for many landscape shooters a big factor would be how Nikon's lenses(espeically the "holy trinity") hold up at 35 MP at the borders.

If Nikon themselves were designing the sensor I'd be pretty confident that they would but it looks like this maybe a Sony hand me down and I wouldnt be at all supprized to see them release a sensor which existing FF lenses cannot make the most of.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
I can't buy Nikon cos I don't know how it works ???
And I don't care about AF, just need a MF screen on a FF camera above 16MP which makes the forest in the backgound green and not muddy... I sometimes can't see the red and violet noisy dots from the 5D2 where it should actually be just green - is this too much asking?
But I think of trying Sony NEX with the new adapter for EF or in my case for ZE lenses ... Anyone had a go already?

Upvote 0
R

Ryusui

None.

I'd gladly take a 22mp 5D Mark III. I honestly wouldn't care if it got pushed down to 18mp if it dramatically increased the ISO handling. Or better low-light AF. As it is, I don't even think I want them cramming 36 million tiny little pixels into the 5D's (relatively) small sensor. If I really have a need for 30+ megapixels, I think I'd be more comfortable using medium format.

Upvote 0
K

kapanak

I am not in favour of a 36mp FF camera from any company. However, the D800 sensor is rumoured to have the exact same pixel size as the NEX-5N, so ... not necessarily a bad thing. Whether Nikon lenses will start to show problems when you go that high with the mp is another debate.

Now if only the D800 had something akin to sRAW, I'd know a few friends who would be happy.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I abstain from voting because I prefer a write-in vote:

...I will... Not give a crap because I'm planning to buy a 1D X (or if by heaven-sent miracle the 22 MP 5DIII also has pro-level AF and >6 fps I'll buy that instead).

I'm with Neuroanatomist on this one, with the caveat that I may still go with the 1D X over the 5DIII if the ISO, evaluative metering, and the predictive autofocus of the 1D X is indeed well beyond that of the 5DIII. If the difference is negligible, then the 5DIII for sure.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.