The 5D Mark III Megapixel Count? [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ThomasN said:
With the risc for beeing called a gearhead or whatever, I will soon change to Nikon despite I have 580EX, 70-200 1:2,8L WFT and a 40D (I know it will cost a lot).
I have sold my 20D two years ago to buy a new Canon semi-pro camera which must be able to use autofocus while taking video. Sony, Panasonic and Nikon can do it . . . . Come ON Canon, get a hold of your self.

If Canon want to keep being the leading manufactor of cameras in the world, Canon should make a camera with the following specs (will be between 1Dx and 7D (5D mrk II):

Vari-angle monitor 3" OLED or LCD 1.1 mil. pixels display (good in the sun)(protects the oled glas)
Perhaps FF 18MP from 1Dx
ISO 100-51200
The necessary numbers of DIGIC 5+
Video 1080p mode with 60fps
Build-in Stereo mic
Head phone out
Autofocus at Video and Live View
Facedetection during both Video and still
Interchangeable Focusing Screen, Rule of Thirds known as the Golden Mean or Golden Ratio.
Continuous shooting 8fps
Magnisium alloy body
Water resistant (Weathersealing)
19 AF points with 9 cross over
Both CF and SD slots
Build-in WiFi per-to-per directly to laptop
GPS

No matter the cost, I would buy IT !!! (better than change to Nikon, that would also cost).

If the specs are between the 1D X and the 7D and you'll buy it no matter the cost, why don't you just buy the 1D X ::)?

Upvote 0
R

RedEye

All said, I'll be disappointed if the next advance in technology does not take us over 30MP. About a year ago I flirted with the notion of going medium format, and I decided against as I wanted to see if a competitor to the Lecia S2 appeared. So far the market is still theirs. The quality of the CMOS and CCD plates appears to be merging so hopefully we'll see some of that in the new releases in 2012. While I may be the last one standing, my vote goes for a large frame, very high MP camera with fewer gismos attached for aesthetic simplicity and quality results.

Upvote 0
RedEye said:
All said, I'll be disappointed if the next advance in technology does not take us over 30MP. About a year ago I flirted with the notion of going medium format, and I decided against as I wanted to see if a competitor to the Lecia S2 appeared. So far the market is still theirs. The quality of the CMOS and CCD plates appears to be merging so hopefully we'll see some of that in the new releases in 2012. While I may be the last one standing, my vote goes for a large frame, very high MP camera with fewer gismos attached for aesthetic simplicity and quality results.

+1

Too many people out there wants more techonolgy and more features. At the end of the day, a camera is a camera. It takes photos. Lets hope the buttons will be reduced, more focus on photography and less on techonolgy geeks.

Upvote 0
marinien
If the specs are between the 1D X and the 7D and you'll buy it no matter the cost, why don't you just buy the 1D X ?

I don't like to have at 1Dx with 70-200 1:2,8L around my neck skiing for at hole day. It is too big and too havy. The 40D and 70-200 1:2,8L is havy enough. And taking pictures of skiiers and snowboaders is one of my passions. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ThomasN said:
I don't like to have at 1Dx with 70-200 1:2,8L around my neck skiing for at hole day. It is too big and too havy. The 40D and 70-200 1:2,8L is havy enough. And taking pictures of skiiers and snowboaders is one of my passions. :)

I wouldn't want a Rebel and 18-55mm kit lens hanging from my neck all day. You might want to consider a Blackrapid strap, Cotton Carrier, Lowepro chest harness, or some other solution that takes the weight off your neck.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
ThomasN said:
With the risc for beeing called a gearhead or whatever, I will soon change to Nikon despite I have 580EX, 70-200 1:2,8L WFT and a 40D (I know it will cost a lot).
I have sold my 20D two years ago to buy a new Canon semi-pro camera which must be able to use autofocus while taking video. Sony, Panasonic and Nikon can do it . . . . Come ON Canon, get a hold of your self.

If Canon want to keep being the leading manufactor of cameras in the world, Canon should make a camera with the following specs (will be between 1Dx and 7D (5D mrk II):

Vari-angle monitor 3" OLED or LCD 1.1 mil. pixels display (good in the sun)(protects the oled glas)
Perhaps FF 18MP from 1Dx
ISO 100-51200
The necessary numbers of DIGIC 5+
Video 1080p mode with 60fps
Build-in Stereo mic
Head phone out
Facedetection during both Video and still
Interchangeable Focusing Screen, Rule of Thirds known as the Golden Mean or Golden Ratio.
Continuous shooting 8fps
Magnisium alloy body
Water resistant (Weathersealing)
19 AF points with 9 cross over
Both CF and SD slots
Build-in WiFi per-to-per directly to laptop
GPS

No matter the cost, I would buy IT !!! (better than change to Nikon, that would also cost).

Great to see some reasonable people here, I swear if I saw one more post with crazy specs and "all for $2500" at the bottom I was gonna scream. It's like people expect Canon to make them an awesome camera and want it for a ridiculously low price just so it fits their own personal price range.

I'd like a Ferrari for $20k, but it's not, so I'd look for cars in my price range...not demand that they sell it to me for that. Just because something isn't in your price range doesn't mean it's a ripoff, it doesn't mean the company is trying to scam you, it just means that you really like something you can't afford and you should look for the next best thing.

Upvote 0
I I were getting a 5D III, it would be have to a serious upgrade over a 5DII. Else, I am just going to get a 5D II when the 5D III comes out. If I get a 5D II. Which probably I will... Though maybe, I'll hunt a 7D mk II instead. Maybe the dream 1D ASP-C body will come out. Sure now, and it would be around 4500 buckaroos, but a little debt never hurt anyone... ::)

Upvote 0
gmrza said:
Canon Rumors said:
The most consistent mention is March for an announcement.

I've said before - I believe Canon will announce something at the beginning of March to mark the 25th anniversary of the EOS system.

The 5DIII and the 4k DSLR would both be good candidates for a March announcement.

If Canon does stick with 21 to 22 MP, it will be necessary to find some other enhancements over the 5DII that make for a significant upgrade. - One or two more stops of high ISO performance alone will not be enough to convince most users. Canon will need a whole bag of improvements.

Two stops would be huge, that's no small feat!

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
vuilang said:
marinien said:
If the specs are between the 1D X and the 7D and you'll buy it no matter the cost, why don't you just buy the 1D X ::)?
cuz there is still no word on AF @videomode compared to the Nikon D4.

Unfortunately I dont believe we will see this feature anytime soon on Canon camera. While I would love to get AF for video mode, first my understanding is most people using video professionally prefers manual focus for video.

More importantly (and maybe someone could confirm this), I am almost positive the AF capability you refer to in the Nikon D4 is related to a patent Nikon has and therefore Canon cannot implement it the same. Maybe they have not found a way to circonvent this patent or find it is not important enought...

I have tried the AF in video mode on a Nikon camera in a store once, and not sure it works as well as some believe. It was not focusing where I wanted it to focus - it can be limiting to some degree. I hope someone comes up with a solution for us mortal wishing to have some kind of help with AF in Live View mode while shooting occasionial videos...

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I dont believe we will see this feature anytime soon on Canon camera. While I would love to get AF for video mode, first my understanding is most people using video professionally prefers manual focus for video.

Yes JR, you are completely right about that. But it is very very sad that Canon has grown so big that they don't care about thier semi-pros and amateur customers! ! We are many that would like Autofocus while shooting video. :mad:

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
ThomasN said:

Yes JR, you are completely right about that. But it is very very sad that Canon has grown so big that they don't care about thier semi-pros and amateur customers! ! We are many that would like Autofocus while shooting video. :mad:

I know...I am one of them too who would love AF in video mode! Sad indeed...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
briansquibb said:
awinphoto said:
I cannot speak for those who chose the 5d2 over the 1ds... There are those who are dedicated to the 1d series because of their offerings, sealing, body, etc... It's about choosing the right tool to accomplish the task at hand.

Shooting back to back with the 5DII and 1Ds3 my conclusions are

- 5DII is the best all round, best at low light, best at high IQ (1Ds3 only goes to 1600)
- give the 1Ds3 good light and lower iso it gives best IQ

For a wedding I would still choose the 5DII due to the likelyhood of higher iso needed

I also had both and loved them and came to the same conclusion. If you do not need the 1D features, the 5D produces better images.

I finally sold off my 1D MK III for twice the price of the 7D I bought as a backup. The 7D is nowhere nearly as good as the 1D MK III, but it works fine as a backup and for sports in good light. The only place where it struggles is in very low light, but then, the sensor is smaller and I did not expect the 7D to be a low light body.

Upvote 0
If Canon cant implement AF in Videomode, they're losing the battle in video to the Nikon. And most definitely i'll need to switch.
JR said:
vuilang said:
marinien said:
cuz there is still no word on AF @videomode compared to the Nikon D4.

More importantly (and maybe someone could confirm this), I am almost positive the AF capability you refer to in the Nikon D4 is related to a patent Nikon has and therefore Canon cannot implement it the same. Maybe they have not found a way to circonvent this patent or find it is not important enought...

I have tried the AF in video mode on a Nikon camera in a store once, and not sure it works as well as some believe. It was not focusing where I wanted it to focus - it can be limiting to some degree. I hope someone comes up with a solution for us mortal wishing to have some kind of help with AF in Live View mode while shooting occasionial videos...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.