The best tripod ...

Hi all,

I've spent weeks (or months) now looking into a tripod.
I'm looking at getting a Carbon Fibre on and in particular the 3 Legged Thing - Eric.

The thing I'm getting confused about is getting a "stable" tripod... The 3LT Eric has 3 locks and 4 leg section/segments...
After doing my researching I have in my mind that this isn't stable and I should be looking at only a 3 segment tripod.
Is there completely false? What's people opinions on this?

Upvote 0
DaveMiko said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take my photography hobby to the next level, so to speak :D, so I'm thinking of buying me a tripod and a tripod head. I've done some research online, but I think I'm more confused now, than when I started thinking about tripods and heads. ;D (I guess, that happens a lot). From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands, so I'm looking to get the above mentioned gear from either of these two. I'm more inclined, however, towards Induro products.

In so many words, what do you guys make of this?

A newer tripod manufacturer is Sirui, a chinese company which seems to make good stuff at moderate prices.

Now I use
- a 25 year old Manfrotto 190 with screw locking for the legs (very time consuming!) but with some patina :)
- a MG468RC4 ball head (great stability, locking the ball doesn't move the camera - never had that before)

I am interested in the Sirui M-320?X series (carbon fiber legs) - the ? stands for 3, 4 or 5 and means the number of leg sections. I prefer the 4-section version due to its good balance with transportation size and "medium converion time" from transport to usage.

Has anyone experience with one of these Sirui tripods from the Master series (M-320?X)? How does it compare to Gitzo and RRS?

Thanks in advance - Michael

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
gshocked said:
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Carbon Fibre on and in particular the 3 Legged Thing - Eric.

The thing I'm getting confused about is getting a "stable" tripod... The 3LT Eric has 3 locks and 4 leg section/segments...
After doing my researching I have in my mind that this isn't stable and I should be looking at only a 3 segment tripod.

With high quality tripods, 3 vs. 4 leg sections isn't going to make a significant difference in stability, per se. What matters more is the diameter of the thinnest leg section.

Considerations of collapsed length and extended length (not counting the center column, if present) are generally more important than number of leg sections.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
mb66energy said:
DaveMiko said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to take my photography hobby to the next level, so to speak :D, so I'm thinking of buying me a tripod and a tripod head. I've done some research online, but I think I'm more confused now, than when I started thinking about tripods and heads. ;D (I guess, that happens a lot). From my understanding, Manfrotto and Induro seem to be the best tripod brands, so I'm looking to get the above mentioned gear from either of these two. I'm more inclined, however, towards Induro products.

A newer tripod manufacturer is Sirui, a chinese company which seems to make good stuff at moderate prices.

Now I use
- a 25 year old Manfrotto 190 with screw locking for the legs (very time consuming!) but with some patina :)
- a MG468RC4 ball head (great stability, locking the ball doesn't move the camera - never had that before)

I am interested in the Sirui M-320?X series (carbon fiber legs) - the ? stands for 3, 4 or 5 and means the number of leg sections. I prefer the 4-section version due to its good balance with transportation size and "medium converion time" from transport to usage.

Has anyone experience with one of these Sirui tripods from the Master series (M-320?X)? How does it compare to Gitzo and RRS?

I have the Sirui M3204X and it is the finest "general purpose" tripod for under $950 that I know of. I also have a very big Gitzo (GT3542XLS), a specialty medium sized Gitzo (GT2541EX) and a little Gitzo (GT1542T). The Sirui gets used the most due to it's ratio of stability/height/collapsed size. Of course it is not nearly as refined or well built as the Gitzos, but it is plenty good enough and costs less than $500. I'm 6'-2" and finding a tripod that is tall enough, without the center column being raised, so that I don't have to bend over while shooting is no easy task. I highly recommend this pod.

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
mb66energy said:
DaveMiko said:
Hi everyone,

Now I use

I have the Sirui M3204X and it is the finest "general purpose" tripod for under $950 that I know of. I also have a very big Gitzo (GT3542XLS), a specialty medium sized Gitzo (GT2541EX) and a little Gitzo (GT1542T). The Sirui gets used the most due to it's ratio of stability/height/collapsed size. Of course it is not nearly as refined or well built as the Gitzos, but it is plenty good enough and costs less than $500. I'm 6'-2" and finding a tripod that is tall enough, without the center column being raised, so that I don't have to bend over while shooting is no easy task. I highly recommend this pod.

Hello brad-man - thanks a lot. So I will take this one into the "inner circle" for my next tripod. It is appealing for me to because extending the center column reduces stability and I am 1.85m tall which is ... sth. like 6' and the rest :)

Best - Michael

Upvote 0
I've been shooting professionally for 30 years now. I have owned 4 Bogen/Manfrotto tripods. Then about 10 years ago I finally gave in and invested in a Gitzo Carbon Fiber. I use a tripod almost every day. The Manfrotto's tended to wear out about every 5 years. The Gitzo which is about 10 years old is just as good as the day I got it. Although a bit banged up now.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I totally agree on the Wimberley II as a good value for the money.

Another thing to think about is the accessories that they offer. I love the leveling base, and quick release clamps that allow quick change between different cameras and even heads.. Look at the site and they offer a line of L-plates, and foot plates with Arca Swiss adapters, etc. etc. So the whole ecosystem works well, is stable, and expandable.

It is expensive, but your gear is way more expensive.

sek

DaveMiko said:
neuroanatomist said:
DaveMiko said:
No, I didn't. From what I've read, I understand that Manfrotto and Induro offer the best quality in terms of sturdiness and strength.

Read more.

Also, don't use manufacturer's load ratings as a guideline, they are useful for comparison within a brand, but effectively meaningless for comparison across brands. A Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 is rated for 17 lbs - does that mean it can hold 17 lbs without breaking, hold 17 lbs with complete stability and no vibration, or something in between?

The Really Right Stuff TQC-14 is their 'travel tripod', the lightest and weakest one they make. It's rated for 25 lbs. That load capacity might, just might, be a bit conservative.

index.php

:)

Upvote 0

Leejo

Still relearning the same things...
Jul 20, 2012
gshocked said:
Hi all,

I have a Three Legged Thing - called Brian.
I am perfectly happy with it - there are a few criticisms - the rubber grips on the locks aren't the best,
and a cover fell off one of my tripod head locks - but they did replace it.
I have it as a travel tripod, hence the choice as it is airplane hand luggage compatible.
The price was also in my budget as well.
I wouldn't necessarily put a 300mm 2.8 or 600mm on it - but then I neither have them or envisage travelling
with them in an airplane either... (without making additional arrangements.)
Excluding Gitzo I consider it to be one of the best travel tripods available here (in Europe).

As with all things there is also a compromise - to get the folded length you need four sections, and it's not 2m / 6 foot tall. But that is pure physics. The monopod leg is also obviously a little on the short side, but that is also logical. Other combinations will have all the same characteristics. It's a travel tripod/monopod - mainly for cities reached by air etc. If I was travelling say in a car, ad larger lenses, availability of RRS, other budget then maybe other factors would come into play. for me it hasn't been topped for my purposes.

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
I am going through a similar exercise. Having researched and read many reviews on line, my thoughts were heading towards a mid range Gitzo. However, on visiting one of London's camera shops to see them for real, I realised that I would not be comfortable carring the Gitzo for a day's travelling by tube, bus and on foot. As much as stability is important, a tripod left at home will be no use at all.

The advice I'm giving is that having done some research online, go to a shop and try out the options. I'm glad that I didnt take the plunge after only online research.

My further research is on the Manfrotto 055 and 190 tripods. I will next take my camera and heaviest lens to weigh up my options (kind of literally). I think that after that, the brick and mortar store will deserve my business.

However, the tripod is only the first question. There are a myriad of tripod heads available, and the weight should be allowed for when choosing the tripod. i have found some informative reviews at Cameralabs (e.g. http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Manfrotto_190CXPRO3_tripod/ ). I will find out how informative when I buy.

I'm just hoping that I don't change my mind again after making the investment. I may well decide that the extra weight would be worth carrying!

Good luck in your decision making, I will follow this thread with interest.

Upvote 0

Keem

Horses for courses !!!
Apr 22, 2014
For tripods stability, portability (size&weight), cost and capacity are the main factors to consider and generally you should find you own balance.

I use Sirui T-2005x or T-005x (for APS-C cameras/small lenses) for travel; and Manfrotto 055XB for general use.

For the tripod heads, I have used both ball head and geared types. Ball heads allow faster positioning but if you are into high-precision positioning (like in the case of macro-photography) you should consider geared heads like:

- Manfrotto: 410 or 405 (I personally use 410 and very happy with it.
- Manfrotto: XPRO-3 (not a real geared head but friction controlled)

I find the quick release of Manfrotto more practical (spesifically faster) than the Arca-Swiss types. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Keem said:
I find the quick release of Manfrotto more practical (spesifically faster) than the Arca-Swiss types. Just my 2 cents.

There are lever-release Arca-Swiss clamps that are just as fast. IMO, the issues with Manfrotto plates/clamps are:

• The RC2 system has play when 'locked down'. There's a secondary locking pin, so the clamp is plenty secure, but the plate can move within the clamp which makes precise positioning a challenge.
  • The RC0/RC4 systems lock with no play, but the plates are big - they stick out beyond the edges of a camera body, which isn't good ergonomically.
  • The Manfrotto L-bracket offerings, to be blunt, suck. Since their clamps are proprietary and require Manfrotto plates, you cannot use the good L-brackets from other vendors (Kirk, RRS, etc.).
  • In addition to L-brackets, there are many other AS-compatible mount options – lens plates and replacement feet, macro rails, etc., none of which work with Manfrotto clamps.

Their geared heads are very nice, though. Ball heads less so, with the exception of the 468MG (ideally with a Wimberley, RRS or Kirk clamp mounted on it).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Keem said:

There are lever-release Arca-Swiss clamps that are just as fast. IMO, the issues with Manfrotto plates/clamps are:

• The RC2 system has play when 'locked down'. There's a secondary locking pin, so the clamp is plenty secure, but the plate can move within the clamp which makes precise positioning a challenge.
  • The RC0/RC4 systems lock with no play, but the plates are big - they stick out beyond the edges of a camera body, which isn't good ergonomically.
  • The Manfrotto L-bracket offerings, to be blunt, suck. Since their clamps are proprietary and require Manfrotto plates, you cannot use the good L-brackets from other vendors (Kirk, RRS, etc.).
  • In addition to L-brackets, there are many other AS-compatible mount options – lens plates and replacement feet, macro rails, etc., none of which work with Manfrotto clamps.

Their geared heads are very nice, though. Ball heads less so, with the exception of the 468MG (ideally with a Wimberley, RRS or Kirk clamp mounted on it).

I have a RRS lever clamp on a Markins M-10 ballhead sitting on a Gitzo (3-leg) 2531EX carbon fiber tripod - absolutely rock solid. I used a RRS L-bracket on my 40D and more recently the non-L Kirk plate on my 5D3 - both work great with the RRS lever clamp.

I also have a Benro Travel Angel with an AS compatible screw type clamp and it works fantastic on both the RRS and Kirk clamps. I would never go back to other clamp systems.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
If I had to do it over again, I would have kept the 468MG and put a RRS lever release clamp on it. The RRS BH-55 ballhead is nice, but in many ways I regret selling it as the Manfrotto holds just as well if not better and doesn't have the unwelcome quirks like the dual slots in (for me) a really poor spot. The RRS head isn't as smooth as the Manfrotto, either. I guess I was expecting more given the price, but it's really not any better than the Manfrotto and I feel that the RRS head is quite overpriced for what you get. You pay an awful lot for the pretty CNC machining. On the other hand, I don't miss getting the hook-shaped-handle snagged on everything about 20x during each shoot.

Upvote 0

jasonsim

Hobbyist
Dec 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Unless you want to buy twice or thrice, I would suggest you buy a Gitzo or RRS (Really Right Stuff) tripod and a RRS ball head. If you need a gimbal type head for the big lenses, I use one for my 600mm II, I recommend the Wimberley WH-200. I would not trust putting nearly $20k in gear (600m II + 1Dx) on a tripod made in China.

Best of luck in your search!

--Jason S.

DaveMiko said:
Hi everyone,

Upvote 0

Keem

Horses for courses !!!
Apr 22, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
Keem said:

Actually you are right with the issues about Manfrotto RC2 and RC4 types. RC2 has another issue; which is; if the part is used extensively it is partly weared-out and the plate play/move even in locked position significantly. To be fair, on the other hand, for lighter systems (ex: 40D + 15-85) RC2 is good enough. But with a full frame camera+grip+70-200f2,8 the system is not that stable. You should also avoid 3rd party manufacturers (even Calumet) to get cheaper plates.

For RC4 I generally put on a macro rail and having larger footprint is actually advantageous. You can also use 2 pins to lock the macro rail into the RC4.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
mackguyver said:
neuroanatomist said:
If I had to do it over again, I would have kept the 468MG and put a RRS lever release clamp on it. The RRS BH-55 ballhead is nice, but in many ways I regret selling it as the Manfrotto holds just as well if not better and doesn't have the unwelcome quirks like the dual slots in (for me) a really poor spot. The RRS head isn't as smooth as the Manfrotto, either. I guess I was expecting more given the price, but it's really not any better than the Manfrotto and I feel that the RRS head is quite overpriced for what you get. You pay an awful lot for the pretty CNC machining. On the other hand, I don't miss getting the hook-shaped-handle snagged on everything about 20x during each shoot.

I couldn't agree more about the RRS heads. I would suggest you give a Markins Q10 or Q20 a test drive. They are rock solid and buttery smooth. The only downside is a relatively weak panning lock. It only bothers me for macro shooting, which is why I have a RRS BH-40 on my macro rig.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
e17paul said:
I am going through a similar exercise. Having researched and read many reviews on line, my thoughts were heading towards a mid range Gitzo. However, on visiting one of London's camera shops to see them for real, I realised that I would not be comfortable carring the Gitzo for a day's travelling by tube, bus and on foot. As much as stability is important, a tripod left at home will be no use at all.

The advice I'm giving is that having done some research online, go to a shop and try out the options. I'm glad that I didnt take the plunge after only online research.

My further research is on the Manfrotto 055 and 190 tripods. I will next take my camera and heaviest lens to weigh up my options (kind of literally). I think that after that, the brick and mortar store will deserve my business.

However, the tripod is only the first question. There are a myriad of tripod heads available, and the weight should be allowed for when choosing the tripod. i have found some informative reviews at Cameralabs (e.g. http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Manfrotto_190CXPRO3_tripod/ ). I will find out how informative when I buy.

I'm just hoping that I don't change my mind again after making the investment. I may well decide that the extra weight would be worth carrying!

Good luck in your decision making, I will follow this thread with interest.

As much as portability is important, a tripod which is not stable is useless. With high available ISO, image stabilization and lighter cameras, we are able to take many shots today which were not possible a decade ago. Now we need tripods for longer exposures and then stability is very important.

Upvote 0
Tripods are a bit like lenses. Wide angle, normal, tele and super tele. Tripods are small, medium, large and X-large.

As I have stated a number of times on CR, I have wasted a lot of money on my journey to what I have today. It would have been a lot cheaper to go for the right stuff to begin with.

Today I have 4 tripods and 5 heads ( not counting monopods and heads for that). That is not one too many, because I use them all.

For very light travel I have the Gitzo GK1580TQR5, with a RRS BH-20 head. Very small, very compact and when I weight it down, it can support up to 70-200 f2.8L on a 5DIII body. No wind though and it looks like it could break any minute.

On the other end of the scale I have a RRS TVC-34L, where I alternate a BH-55 ballhead and a PG-02 LLR side kick.

And in between I have two others.

If I had to choose just one, it would have been the TVC-34L/BH-55 combo, because it can do everything, at the cost of size and weight.

The only advice I can give is go to a store and hold them in your hands, mount your camera and lens on it, think critcally through your use and go for the most stable you will be willing to carry and the best quality you can afford. Tripods purchases are not easy to do as a theoretical exercise on the web.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Tripods are a bit like lenses. Wide angle, normal, tele and super tele. Tripods are small, medium, large and X-large.

As I have stated a number of times on CR, I have wasted a lot of money on my journey to what I have today. It would have been a lot cheaper to go for the right stuff to begin with.

Today I have 4 tripods and 5 heads ( not counting monopods and heads for that). That is not one too many, because I use them all.

For very light travel I have the Gitzo GK1580TQR5, with a RRS BH-20 head. Very small, very compact and when I weight it down, it can support up to 70-200 f2.8L on a 5DIII body. No wind though and it looks like it could break any minute.

On the other end of the scale I have a RRS TVC-34L, where I alternate a BH-55 ballhead and a PG-02 LLR side kick.

And in between I have two others.

If I had to choose just one, it would have been the TVC-34L/BH-55 combo, because it can do everything, at the cost of size and weight.

The only advice I can give is go to a store and hold them in your hands, mount your camera and lens on it, think critcally through your use and go for the most stable you will be willing to carry and the best quality you can afford. Tripods purchases are not easy to do as a theoretical exercise on the web.

I agree with Eldar, there is nothing that replaces going to the store and trying them out. When I bought my Gitzo 2531EX I did a ton of research and ultimately bought what I thought would be my one and only tripod because I bought it 'right'. I opted for greater stability and sacrificed size meaning I bought a three legged tripod rather than the short 4 legged one and I went for the 2 series rather than the 1 series I was initially looking at. There are also 3 and 5 series (I am using Gitzo nomenclature only as an example ) which may be what you need depending on your needs.

When I was going to Paris and London a few years ago I bought a Benro Travel Angel carbon and again I went to the store and tested them out. The super short version with 5 sections did not appear stable (5D3 + 70-200) so I went with the slightly longer four section version (C1680TB0) and have been very happy. I now own two tripods and for my needs I will keep both.

There are camps that will urge you to replace the center column with a plate for greater stability and while I agree with that notion, you sacrifice height and adjust-ability.

As has been said by others in this thread, there are always trade-offs and buying my first expensive tripod setup over five years ago was more difficult than choosing a camera system ;)

Upvote 0
I've been through quite a few in my time and it really depends on your requirements. My main requirement is a stable base for fairly heavy landscape gear on uneven surfaces and often in wind. Not long ago I moved to a Redsnapper which was light but had slightly too much flex for my liking. There was also a small aluminium part that broke but was replaced for free. As a general purpose, light carbon tripod it can't be beaten for the price, but it's not quite the one for me. Their heads are pretty sweet too.

More recently, I aimed to purchase a tripod to end all purchases. Keen to avoid the overpriced main brands I settled on the chunkiest Induro carbon and their second-largest head (I can't imagine a need for their largest one, even the second is MASSIVE). I couldn't be happier. It has minor flex when extended but this is the case with all carbon-fibre rigs - hanging the camera bag off the centre post sorts it. I noticed a flex point was often in the length of the post between the ball and the QR base so I specifically chose the Induro for its fat, short post. This has made a MAJOR difference in the sharpness of my images. It's heavier and larger than the Redsnapper but is now my go-to tripod. The only minor annoyance is that I had to order the short centre-post seperately. I would highly recommend Induro to anyone.

Incidentally, my favourite ever tripod was called a Uni-Loc. I believe it was a British version of the Benbo tripods. This was hands-down the sturdiest tripod I've ever owned but had the weight to go with it. Legs were totally independent and lockable in any position. A real pig to figure out sometimes but solid as a rock and great in the water.

Upvote 0