The Canon EOS R1 will come well before the EOS R5 Mark II [CR3]

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.
Personally, I think the existing R5 model is a stellar camera that still competes with pretty much everything on the market today. Putting out a mark II of this camera isn't necessary... just give us a firmware that eliminates the 30 minute recording limit in 4k30p and it would be damn near perfect.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
The R1 cannot be anything else that the most advance camera in the market when it gets announced/released. And the gap between the R1 and other flagship cameras from Sony and Nikon better be wide otherwise its leadership will last for only few months. Anything else would be suicidal for Canon, but even more disappointing, a clear admission of limited and inadequate R&D. Considering recent launches such as the 10-20mm, the 24-105mm f2.8 and the 100-300mm f2.8, I’m extremely confident the R1 will be nothing less than a revolutionary camera. Fingers crossed
The R1 need to be non of the above, in my opinion. People invested in a camera brand that are buying the most expensive cameras are not changing brands in any kind of large number. Canon users will buy the R1. Sony users will buy the A1. Nikon users will buy the Z9.
Pros and serious enthusiasts care about reliability and usability and getting the shot successfully. Gear heads care about specs...and no one should care what gear-heads care about, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
I wouldn't be surprised if Canon realized after the R3 that trying to play catch up with SONY, Nikon and even Fuji for specific modalities compartmented or bundled is futile.

Thr R1's delay was caused by competition and Canon not wanting to put an obsolete into the market. I fear however, that Canon will again, put a less than spectacular R1 on the market.

The R1 was supposed to be Canon's giant killer. A flagship to end all flagships... The Mother of All Cameras.

Adapt in the Studio, Sports Arena, PJ's, Weddings, Portrature, Fashion Runway, BIF and on and on.

The R1 will not be all these things. The R1 will be a drip... drip... drip... with the R1 II announced and rumored as another drip... drip... drip... anounced to make up for the camera's shortcomings compared to SONY, Nikon and others technology.

Unless there is substantial innovation, I don't see the need for an R1 anymore.
Can you say bullcrap on the forum? Why do you think Canon is behind Sony and Nikon and needs to catch up? Are those cameras more reliable? Don't think so. Do those cameras have better AF? All about equal, based on just about everyone's experience. Better FPS? Nope. Better color Science? Nope. Better ergonomics? Nope. Better EVF? Nope. (Sony, in their usual fashion, has the spec with the most dots, but in practice has the dullest, darkest EVF). Hmmm, just can't think of anything that Canon is behind in right now.

Why don't you just say, I love SONY and they are the GREATEST!! Instead of the usual Sony bullcrap.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The R1 cannot be anything else that the most advance camera in the market when it gets announced/released. And the gap between the R1 and other flagship cameras from Sony and Nikon better be wide otherwise its leadership will last for only few months. Anything else would be suicidal for Canon, but even more disappointing, a clear admission of limited and inadequate R&D. Considering recent launches such as the 10-20mm, the 24-105mm f2.8 and the 100-300mm f2.8, I’m extremely confident the R1 will be nothing less than a revolutionary camera. Fingers crossed
I feel the same.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Not sure I understand. The R5 was extremely hard to get for about a year after announcement. I bought mine in the winter because that's when I was able to find one (got lucky) in stock -- BH, etc were still pre-ordering then too. If it's a good product, people clamor regardless to time of year. This is probably double for camera equipment because supply for new gear is often very constrained for months or longer and everyone wants to be first owner on the block. This was true even pre-Covid.
The R5 was not hard to find in the United States at all if one didn't mind making a few phone calls and paying a cash deposit. You don't have to purchase from large vendors. There are dozens of authorized Canon vendors in the United States. No pre order was required at all. My local vendors have "deposit same priority as preorder". With a $250 deposit I received my device two weeks later. The R5c and C70 being cinema cameras can be found at video equipment vendors. Never was a problem finding those either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
We made our choices for 2024, unfortunately Canon was not budgeted aside from CPS. First time in 27 years.
Would you mind proving a link to your portfolio that couldn't possibly be done with inferior Canon gear? All I care about is what people can do and not what gear they use. Seems like you felt the need to shake off the cobwebs from not posting since 2015 to tell us this, so now I'm intrigued...

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
The R5 was not hard to find in the United States at all if one didn't mind making a few phone calls and paying a cash deposit. You don't have to purchase from large vendors. There are dozens of authorized Canon vendors in the United States. No pre order was required at all. My local vendors have "deposit same priority as preorder". With a $250 deposit I received my device two weeks later. The R5c and C70 being cinema cameras can be found at video equipment vendors. Never was a problem finding those either.
True

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Wow, aren't you the gentleman. Bless your heart. You can go ahead and suckle on the income statements all you like, that appears to be how you get off. Meanwhile, Sony and Nikon are laughing at both you and the accountants at Canon. That market share you appear to relish so much is eroding.
Ahhh, you’re one of those people who are happy to ignore facts and live in your own personal reality. Like the people who wear red hats. Lots of them blessing hearts, too. Mmmmkay. No point in further discussion. You know what you know.

Upvote 0
R1 just need to be a reliable good workhouse. As long as it has higher MP than R3 it is enough for 99% of the target audience. R3 IMHO is a good camera, just hurt by the launch PR and the pricing before Canon lowered them secretly (at least in HK).

R5 for pro is cheap enough to earn back the body cost. It was the best solution for EF DSLR pros to upgrade without a pain.

My concern is not R1 unable to beat SonyNikon, but the lack of L primes in the sub 50mm focal length that will drive off pros. 24L and 35L is the minimum Canon needs to bring into the game. 14L, 20L, 28L, 200L and Tilt-shifts can come later.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Ahhh, you’re one of those people who are happy to ignore facts and live in your own personal reality. Like the people who wear red hats. Lots of them blessing hearts, too. Mmmmkay. No point in further discussion. You know what you know.
Mentioning "red hats," lately, I've become interested in media bias.

Obviously, manufacturers also use bias to help sell their products. I decided to take a look at Sony's Alpha 9 III product page and it gives 45 statements attempting to sound impressive (bit sometimes not impressive if you have a good understanding of the industry) for marketing with 33 footnotes (five are accompanying the two paragraphs of text) that make the previous statement less impressive. Canon's page for the R3 makes six statements (not even bothering to mention somethings that are impressive) and Three footnotes. (there are two asterisks that accompany the long text about the R3, but the reason doesn't seem obvious. one didn't even make a special claim and the other states the stipulation fairly clearly). You can see different marketing styles that we can interpret in a few ways.

Both companies make impressive claims with about half having less obvious stipulations, or if we want to include what appears to be a mistakes, 5/6 for Canon which doesn't look great.
One company makes many more statements as a list that can be quickly read with only two paragraphs.
The other company makes about 1/7th the amount of claims at the top and the rest explained in several paragraphs.

It's just my interpretation, but I have the feeling that having the big impressive list hopes for impulsive and emotional buyers and the other stratagy is preparing for buyers who want to make more careful considerations with less claims at the top and more explanations in paragraph form. It does seem to go along with the way many commenters seem to think...

In the end, some of us have made statements such as, "no mater what company you go with, you should be happy." Certainly today's cameras are all impressive compared to what was available ten years ago and it was unthinkable for those of us who started before autofocus.

I think if either company is d-worded it will be related to marketing

Upvote 0
Loving this thread - prime 'Canon Rumours'.

It's good to see that Canon is doomed once again, that no-one is buying Canon anymore and that unless the R1 has X/Y/Z then the rest of the market is laughing at them. All from people who have either already left the Canon eco-system or are not the target audience for the R1 in the first place. On release, these same people will be scanning the spec sheets desparately trying to find something that is the 'deal breaker', the indicator of failure, the achilles heel.

Meanwhile Canon silently continues to be market leader and the pro's will continue to buy Canon gear...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I wouldn't be surprised if Canon realized after the R3 that trying to play catch up with SONY, Nikon and even Fuji
I would.
Thr R1's delay was caused by competition and Canon not wanting to put an obsolete into the market.
Doubtful. What delay? It's likely coming in advance of an Olympics, right on schedule.
The R1 was supposed to be Canon's giant killer. A flagship to end all flagships... The Mother of All Cameras.
There. Is. No. Such. Thing. And supposed by whom? Wishful thinking forum commentators?
The R1 will not be all these things. The R1 will be a drip... drip... drip... with the R1 II announced and rumored as another drip... drip... drip... anounced to make up for the camera's shortcomings compared to SONY, Nikon and others technology.

Unless there is substantial innovation, I don't see the need for an R1 anymore.
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I predict the specs will cause commentators to be disappointed. And it will be praised once it's in people's hands. There is no unicorn, no goldilocks camera. Precedent can give you a few clues, but a lot of folk seem to prefer wild speculation, unrealistic expectation, followed by wailing and predictions of doom. 'Twas ever thus.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
There. Is. No. Such. Thing. And supposed by whom? Wishful thinking forum commentators?
I'm wondering where that supposition comes from, too.

I was watching the product announcement video for the 1DX III, and don't get the vibe of "Giant Killer," or "Mother of all cameras." It's really promoted as a fast and reliable camera geared towards pro sports/action photography (and some video shooting).

The R1 will probably be promoted in a similar way, not as the end-all, be-all, giant killing, mother of all cameras.

Upvote 0
This all sounds like the ramblings of a lunatic. But you have a nice day, and try not to hurt anybody.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Anything else would be suicidal for Canon
That is overstating it a bit.
Canon will not go out of business for having the worst flagship camera.
It will probably be the least-selling camera in the lineup.
That being said, it is hard to call anything a "flagship" that can't live up to the competition.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
That is pure rumor.
Canon has not publicly made such a statement.
That being said, Canon taking so long to release the R1 has build up anticipation to the point that expectations will be extremely hard to live up to.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That is pure rumor.
Canon has not publicly made such a statement.
That being said, Canon taking so long to release the R1 has build up anticipation to the point that expectations will be extremely hard to live up to.
Canon seems to do a 1 series every 4 years, so they are still on schedule from that point of view. The A1, A9III and Z9 being out there make it seem like it’s taking much longer than it actually is :)

Upvote 0