Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.
And I had already organised warm little nests in my backpacks for EOS R5 II The Magnificient, they'll stay empty for many more long and solitary months.
My eyes are dry from crying. I am doomed...
R5 II, where are thou? :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This all makes sense. Even with a February "announcement", the R5ii wasn't going to be in ordinary customer hands until Q4, anyway. MAYBE this means a Q3 announcement and Q4 customer supply . . . or maybe R5ii customers have a full year to wait. I've been predicting Q4 2024 availability for over a year now, but I'm beginning to wonder.

Upvote 0
If it comes in at 36MP that would be enough of a resolution bump over the R3 that it would be meaningful I guess. The R3 is already plenty of resolution for me in most cases, there are just some smaller subjects like swallows that could benefit from a bit more resolution. If they manage to bump the resolution, keep low light performance as good as or better than the R3, and shoot 60fps continuous then this will be a pretty killer camera. I feel like all of those are pretty conservative expectations so hopefully we’ll see even better performance from this body.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
What does it matter to you personally?
It matters because people are tired of hearing Sony and Nikon fanboys talk smack.
Most people are not going to buy either camera.
Canon is only going to have a year or two head start on the a1 II and Z 9 II.
If they do not catch up now then they will be the laughing stock for four more years.
It won't matter if every other camera is better than the competition.
I do agree that the R5 II is far more of an important camera.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
On the other hand, Canon has probably been developing the R1 for years, and might want it to be a "statement product".
It is pretty hard to make a statement when you wait that long.
Sony arguably rushed out the a9 III but they made a statement.
The competition has not been standing still while Canon has been working on the R1.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Why would Canon wait until the winter to release the R5 mk 2? The first R5 was released in July 2020. Summer time. Maybe Canon doesn't want it overheating again. Releasing it in the winter time? Hmm, Maybe they don't have enough of the cooling fans. The low resolution R1 isn't gonna heat up as much. Ok
Winter means it is Summer somewhere else.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Which is exactly why they are not likely to do that. Put out 2 cameras at the same time and more people will buy the cheaper model. Put out the more expensive model first and those who are too impatient to wait any longer will buy it, increasing its sales numbers.
Supply problems would need to be fixed in order to do that.
If not then the R5 II would need to come out 2 years after the R1.

Upvote 0
The R1 cannot be anything else that the most advance camera in the market when it gets announced/released. And the gap between the R1 and other flagship cameras from Sony and Nikon better be wide otherwise its leadership will last for only few months. Anything else would be suicidal for Canon, but even more disappointing, a clear admission of limited and inadequate R&D. Considering recent launches such as the 10-20mm, the 24-105mm f2.8 and the 100-300mm f2.8, I’m extremely confident the R1 will be nothing less than a revolutionary camera. Fingers crossed

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
The R1 cannot be anything else that the most advance camera in the market when it gets announced/released. And the gap between the R1 and other flagship cameras from Sony and Nikon better be wide otherwise its leadership will last for only few months. Anything else would be suicidal for Canon, but even more disappointing, a clear admission of limited and inadequate R&D.
Do you believe that the definition of 'most advanced' is unambiguous and universal? If not, who gets to decide what comprises 'most advanced'? To be clear, the answer is not you or me. And it's not DPR.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I wouldn't be surprised if Canon realized after the R3 that trying to play catch up with SONY, Nikon and even Fuji for specific modalities compartmented or bundled is futile.

Thr R1's delay was caused by competition and Canon not wanting to put an obsolete into the market. I fear however, that Canon will again, put a less than spectacular R1 on the market.

The R1 was supposed to be Canon's giant killer. A flagship to end all flagships... The Mother of All Cameras.

Adapt in the Studio, Sports Arena, PJ's, Weddings, Portrature, Fashion Runway, BIF and on and on.

The R1 will not be all these things. The R1 will be a drip... drip... drip... with the R1 II announced and rumored as another drip... drip... drip... anounced to make up for the camera's shortcomings compared to SONY, Nikon and others technology.

Unless there is substantial innovation, I don't see the need for an R1 anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Just honestly curious why people even care if the R1 is considered the leading flagship compared to Nikon or Sony. What does it matter to you personally? I would think the only thing to consider is "Is this a camera I want to buy, or not?"
On a similar vein, why be concerned about how well the camera sells, or why would someone buy it is they already have an R3? It seems like the only thing one should care about is whether they want to buy it, or not.
It's certainly a rhetorical question, but just in case it is not: it matters when together with a camera you want to buy what you lack: a status, appreciation, etc.

Upvote 0