The Canon EOS R1 will come well before the EOS R5 Mark II [CR3]

Sep 20, 2020
Canon seems to do a 1 series every 4 years, so they are still on schedule from that point of view. The A1, A9III and Z9 being out there make it seem like it’s taking much longer than it actually is :)
I agree but people have been anticipating the R1 since the launch of the EOS R.
That is a long time to be waiting.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I wouldn't be surprised if Canon realized after the R3 that trying to play catch up with SONY, Nikon and even Fuji for specific modalities compartmented or bundled is futile.

Thr R1's delay was caused by competition and Canon not wanting to put an obsolete into the market. I fear however, that Canon will again, put a less than spectacular R1 on the market.

The R1 was supposed to be Canon's giant killer. A flagship to end all flagships... The Mother of All Cameras.

Adapt in the Studio, Sports Arena, PJ's, Weddings, Portrature, Fashion Runway, BIF and on and on.

The R1 will not be all these things. The R1 will be a drip... drip... drip... with the R1 II announced and rumored as another drip... drip... drip... anounced to make up for the camera's shortcomings compared to SONY, Nikon and others technology.

Unless there is substantial innovation, I don't see the need for an R1 anymore.
When did *Canon* ever indicate that the R1 was going to be all that?

Upvote 0
This all sounds like the ramblings of a lunatic. But you have a nice day, and try not to hurt anybody.
Honestly just ignore this guy. I blocked him long time ago (can see that you replied to him but won't see or read his posts anymore). I wonder why he's allowed to spread so much hate and negativity on this forum.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
Honestly just ignore this guy. I blocked him long time ago (can see that you replied to him but won't see or read his posts anymore). I wonder why he's allowed to spread so much hate and negativity on this forum.
Because he tells the truth to people who don't want to hear the truth, and doesn't tolerate those who dish out baloney and propaganda, maybe?

Just sayin'.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Been saying it for a couple years that the guy is really disrespectful and rude to anyone he disagrees with. Nobody can have an opinion or say anything he doesn't believe as a fact otherwise he usually responds with something condescending or disparaging. Not being able to voice your own opinion or a personal want for a product without incessant ridicule isn't good for building a forum of this nature.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Been saying it for a couple years that the guy is really disrespectful and rude to anyone he disagrees with. Nobody can have an opinion or say anything he doesn't believe as a fact otherwise he usually responds with something condescending or disparaging. Not being able to voice your own opinion or a personal want for a product without incessant ridicule isn't good for building a forum of this nature.
I have no respect for people who make claims that are contradicted by readily available facts. When people make asinine statements, I will call them an ass with no compunction or regret. You are entitled to your own opinion and to voice that opinion. You are not entitled to pretend your opinions are facts, or claim that your opinion represents that of a majority of people with no evidence to back that up.

Some people become terribly offended when their fantasies are dashed against the reality of evidence. Honestly, I'll take that reaction over what is more common here, which is to simply ignore the facts and evidence and continue spouting false information.

By all means, point out where I have been rude or disrespectful of someone stating their opinion as such. I'll happily apologize. But in case you haven't noticed, the disrespect is reserved for those making statements like Canon, "...waste our time with camera bodies that nobody wants," or "Canon doesn’t care about APS-C at all and they never really have." Do you honestly believe that someone who makes sweeping claims about what everyone wants or doesn't, or someone who makes patently ridiculous statements, deserves respect? I don't. And please don't come back with something trite like everyone deserves respect – after levying insults my way, you'll just be adding hypocrite to your list of undesirable character traits.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Something which bears consideration when speculating on Canon's flagship camera is Canon recently announced production of their latest chip making machine. It appears it is reasonably competitive to market leader ASML with respect to how fine the internals of the chip can be. ASML extreme UV process can now go as low as 3nm (Apple iPhone) and Canon's glorified inkjet can go 5nm now with 2nm in the near future.

I have read it takes three freight 747s to deliver one of ASML's chip making gadgets and it costs a number with many zeros. Have read the price in the past but cannot for certain remember it. If Canon can do something special with their new gadget and showcase it in an R1 they may have marketing showpieces in both cameras and chip making. Might be why the R1 is coming along now and not two years ago.

Another factor is ASML's machine uses a great deal of energy and Canon's does not. Where Canon has languished in third place in the chip making lithography world, behind Nikon even, this may be something to boost their standing.

We know it does not take 5nm capability to build a 3 micron sensor, but there is a lot of other electron munching being done where more sophisticated circuitry could be used. Think a SuperDIGIX XXX, or quad pixel and a global sensor readout which does not harm dynamic range. Might be possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How can the R1 be classified as delayed, when they never announced when it would be available? It could be right on schedule, with their internal company timeline.
Simple. I wanted an R1 a year ago, and Canon didn’t give me one. Therefore it was delayed.

It makes perfect sense if you’re one of those people who believe they’re the center of the universe.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Wasn't it pretty commonly believed that the R3 was supposed to be the R1, but the specs weren't mindblowing enough given the competition, so they renamed it R3 and continued working on something to succeed it, thus "delaying" the R1? I mean, none of us have any facts here, so by neuro's rules, we should just shut our traps and let this forum die (even though it's canonRUMORS not canonFACTS).

Upvote 0
Unfortunately the admins clearly don't mind bullies as long as they're arguing in favor of Canon and keep engagement up. It's a pity that he has to waste his surely valuable time (as an expert of brain anatomy but clearly not psychology) correcting every single person that thinks they know what a large corporation should or shouldn't do; those peoples' minds won't be changed so it really just serves to make himself feel better. An unstoppable force meets immovable objects.

Upvote 0
That's just another silly internet conspiracy theory, that's unsupported by any evidence.
Perfect for this forum then! :LOL: Considering Canon doesn't talk future plans other than broad stuff for investors, I don't know how we would ever have enough concrete evidence to say this. Conspiracies usually have some evidence behind them, by the way, it's just improperly linked or lacking anything firm enough to prove them. They wouldn't conspiracies if they could be proven.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Wasn't it pretty commonly believed that the R3 was supposed to be the R1, but the specs weren't mindblowing enough given the competition, so they renamed it R3 and continued working on something to succeed it, thus "delaying" the R1?
it was commonly believed that the earth was flat. Recently, a lot of people believed taking a horse dewormer would cure the pandemic, and it is still commonly believed that a lot (meaning many) is one word.

Some people will believe some pretty ridiculous things.

Upvote 0