The Canon EOS R3 at the Tokyo Olympic Games

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If Canon can successfully keep the resolution a secret through the Olympics and until the official announcement, they will have demonstrated an absolutely astounding level of security. I imagine the controlled access at this Olympics is working in their favor, but still, if they pull it off, my hats off to them, even though I'll be disappointed that we don't know more.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
If Canon can successfully keep the resolution a secret through the Olympics and until the official announcement, they will have demonstrated an absolutely astounding level of security. I imagine the controlled access at this Olympics is working in their favor, but still, if they pull it off, my hats off to them, even though I'll be disappointed that we don't know more.
But why would they be so determined to do this ? There must be a good reason. I suspect the mp is going to cause a surprise so it has either to be relatively low or high either side of the current ‘normal’. Maybe it’s ‘low’ mid twenties but has quad pixel ? Or some practical way of increasing the resolution / output size, as pixel shift is pretty compromised as a useful tool.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
But why would they be so determined to do this ? There must be a good reason. I suspect the mp is going to cause a surprise so it has either to be relatively low or high either side of the current ‘normal’. Maybe it’s ‘low’ mid twenties but has quad pixel ? Or some practical way of increasing the resolution / output size, as pixel shift is pretty compromised as a useful tool.
It’s an interesting question. It also puts into perspective the control Canon has which makes me wonder, in a half conspiratorial moment, how much control they actually have over almost all the rumors.

I’m certain whatever the number of MPs it actually ends up being there will be a huge upset and disappointment from 90% of the people that said they’d get one! You can hardly please anybody when people want everywhere between 20 and 60.

I must be honest, I’d baulk at 20mp because although it would move me to the R system it really wouldn’t help my output that much, and if I can’t justify the purchase on output improvements I can’t really see why I’d get it.

Hmmm, the anticipation is a pleasant relief....

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm not sure it's that complicated. They need something new to announce and the price isn't a very good lead paragraph. It would be boring just to confirm everything that's already been announced. like eye-control autofocus and the new sensor design. Having worked in public information for decades, I know that you have to have something new to announce, even if its only something mundane like the resolution. I would not read anything into it other than that.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm not sure it's that complicated. They need something new to announce and the price isn't a very good lead paragraph. It would be boring just to confirm everything that's already been announced. like eye-control autofocus and the new sensor design. Having worked in public information for decades, I know that you have to have something new to announce, even if its only something mundane like the resolution. I would not read anything into it other than that.
Oh but where's the fun in that! Imagine all the time we'd have and the unused internet space if we didn't argue incessantly about irrelevancies?

• Haha
Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
The ancient Olympics might have been conducted in the nude, but there were no women allowed.
Several women actually won in the ancient Olympics.

Most famously princess Kyniska (or Cynisca) of Sparta, who won the four-horse chariot race twice.

She didn't drive herself though, but she owned the chariot that won, and by the rules in effect then that made her the winner. It is uncertain whether or not she was allowed in the audience to see the the race in person.

As far as I know, Canon R3 was not used at those Olympics.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I remain incredibly vigilant in trying to see if anything new gets snuck out through photographers or metadata, but people are being insanely careful. One of the big ones I'd like to see is the new hotshoe that Canon has been covering up with the hotshoe cover, not that it would give us all that more info on the new hotshoe features.

This is at least slightly something? One photographer posted an image showing the screen at least, not really new as it's basically the same as the R5. :LOL:

r3.png

Flipped to read:

1627241361785.png

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
wew definitely a good news! glad the removable eyecup is back.
also look at that viewfinder. its huge!!
Looks like there is a frame or bezel within the viewfinder, so that actual viewfinder may not be that large. Perhaps the bits that are used for eye controlled focus are in the bezel???

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I have done that with my G cameras when traveling. But on a long day of sightseeing, I don’t want to be using up the battery charge on both camera and phone all the time. So instead what I do is take a shot or two with the phone. The time and GPS stamps on those shots can be compared with the time stamps on the camera shots if I want to nail down a location. I do need to remember to set the clock in the camera. And even if I don’t change to the right time zone, I can go by the GMT in the metadata.

I decided to make prints from my Hawaii pictures to frame and hang in the guest room. I went through the shots I had posted on the web to choose what to print. I could not find the original Raw file for one of them. I discovered that it was one of my location shots of a beach on Kauai made with my iPhone 6S.
When used with your g cameras, did it tag your photos properly as you moved about?

Upvote 0
I find it interesting how many ‘dinosaur’ 1DX II’s and III’s there are given the abilities of the R5 and apparent availability of R3’s.

I just goes to show how good those cameras are at doing their job and, despite what all the youtubers would have you believe, you don't need a gazillion megapickles and a bazillion frames per second to get the shot ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I just goes to show how good those cameras are at doing their job and, despite what all the youtubers would have you believe, you don't need a gazillion megapickles and a bazillion frames per second to get the shot ;)
Indeed, I’m happy plodding away with my ‘ancient’ 1DX II....

Upvote 0
Looks like there is a frame or bezel within the viewfinder, so that actual viewfinder may not be that large. Perhaps the bits that are used for eye controlled focus are in the bezel???

Correct. Even in the early pics posted you could see the outline of the EVF and it was considerably smaller than some people were speculating. To me it looked about the same size as the R5.

Upvote 0