The Canon EOS R3 will cost €6099, still waiting on USD pricing

D

Deleted member 381342

I think the only way the R3 does not upset the 1DXMK3 is in that one is RF mount and the other is EF. Jared Polin has both the 1DXMK3 and the R3, and he said the R3 is the new flagship regardless of what Canon is saying. It’s superior in just about every way… 10:04

Our opinions and the opinions of a random Youtuber doesn't change anything. The OP expected the 1DX Mk 3 to drop in price as the R3 is so cheep, Canon aren't going to do that when they have stated the 1DX Mk 3 is the flagship and the best of the best. I honest to goodness don't know why people are trying so desperately to fight that.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

markko

CR Pro
Jan 21, 2012
It would literally be cheaper for every european photographer to fly to NY and buy it there and stick in luggage.

Except that most Europeans can't enter the US right now with the Covid travelban still in place. And I'd fly to a state with zero taxes ;-) But yeah, the currency differences are just insane.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Our opinions and the opinions of a random Youtuber doesn't change anything. The OP expected the 1DX Mk 3 to drop in price as the R3 is so cheep, Canon aren't going to do that when they have stated the 1DX Mk 3 is the flagship and the best of the best. I honest to goodness don't know why people are trying so desperately to fight that.
Canon will do exactly that. They can only sell at a price the market will support. When sales dry up, they will drop the price and later discontinue the model.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
The 1DX becomes the R1 when it is due for replacement. What some random Youtubers say doesn't change that Canon have said this isn't the flagship it isn't priced as the flagship and Canon are still selling the 1DX Mk 3 as their best camera and as such it's price wont change. The R3 may better it in a few ways, but not in every aspect.
In what ways is the 1DX3 superior? I can only think of 1 - dual CF express cards. Not enough to consider it to be the flagship despite what Canon says.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I think the only way the R3 does not upset the 1DXMK3 is in that one is RF mount and the other is EF. Jared Polin has both the 1DXMK3 and the R3, and he said the R3 is the new flagship regardless of what Canon is saying. It’s superior in just about every way… 10:04

Jared Polin has an irrational hate of DSLRs.
He basically only used the 1DX III in live view.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Try your R6/R5 or indeed any current mirrorless body on vertical lines (Note Samsung showed a quad pixel AF system that doesn't struggle). But to add again, since it seems lost: Our opinions are irrelevant. Canon say the 1DX Mk 3 sits above the R3.
That is why it is $1,000 US cheaper.
We should not give Canon any ideas.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Jared Polin has an irrational hate of DSLRs.
He basically only used the 1DX III in live view.
Perhaps, but that doesn’t mean he’s wrong. Fact is, he has had a chance to use both cameras side by side. So his opinion has to carry more weight than random posters who have not even been in the same room with the R3.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Except that most Europeans can't enter the US right now with the Covid travelban still in place. And I'd fly to a state with zero taxes ;-) But yeah, the currency differences are just insane.
I am guessing that people are picking NYC because B & H and Adorama are there.
A camera like the R3 won't be in the camera section at Walmart.
There are camera shops in other cities but I doubt many tourists would know much about them.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The 1DX becomes the R1 when it is due for replacement. What some random Youtubers say doesn't change that Canon have said this isn't the flagship it isn't priced as the flagship and Canon are still selling the 1DX Mk 3 as their best camera and as such it's price wont change. The R3 may better it in a few ways, but not in every aspect.
Canon DSLR prices do not seem to correlate very well with their mirrorless prices.
Even the existence of an R1 would not necessarily drop the price of the 1DX III.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The second hand market is already doing it and I assume they will fall lower. If they had put a 30MP sensor in the 1DXIII it would have been easier for it to continue as a flagship. As an owner of a 1DXIII it is a good camera, the limitless buffer is great but I'd have sacraficed that for a 30 MP Sensor. It would have made it a much better all round camera. At some point the 1DXIII will be a bargain 2nd hand (not quite yet). I don't think any Canon user will take it seriously as a flagship and not fully priced. You'd be far better off getting the R3.

Upvote 0
Canon are going to have to slash the price of the 1D X Mk III if the R3 is that much cheaper and by the sounds of it that much better too. Good news for most people I guess! (y)

More likely, Canon will just insist (without much evidence to their argument) that the R3 isn't their "flagship," and keep the price high, because the people who care about that sort of thing are willing to spend the extra $700 to help compensate for whatever it is that is lacking in their lives.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The second hand market is already doing it and I assume they will fall lower. If they had put a 30MP sensor in the 1DXIII it would have been easier for it to continue as a flagship. As an owner of a 1DXIII it is a good camera, the limitless buffer is great but I'd have sacraficed that for a 30 MP Sensor. It would have made it a much better all round camera. At some point the 1DXIII will be a bargain 2nd hand (not quite yet). I don't think any Canon user will take it seriously as a flagship and not fully priced. You'd be far better off getting the R3.
Maybe, but the R3 hasn't been released or even reviewed yet, so we have no idea how it will compare in real world use.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
More likely, Canon will just insist (without much evidence to their argument) that the R3 isn't their "flagship," and keep the price high, because the people who care about that sort of thing are willing to spend the extra $700 to help compensate for whatever it is that is lacking in their lives.
I suspect Canon has already sold about as many 1DxIIIs as they expect to sell. As someone else said, they will likely cut back on production (similar to the EF 400 and 600 lenses) and it may be hard to find new for the next year or two once stores have sold their existing stock. If it is truly the last of the DSLRs it's value may stabilize and it may remain in the Canon catalogue for many years to come, although likely at a reduced price.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
which country is that price from and is the national VAT included or not?

because that’s barley more than the R5 at launch…
I didn't see a country but per the source (Nokishita), this does include VAT of approximately 20% (assuming google translation is accurate).

So assuming this is accurate, the pre-VAT price in Europe would be 4879 Euros.

1631289957778.png

1631291025451.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0