The Canon EOS R3 will eliminate “Lag” and “Blackout” for stills shooters

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There is very little new information coming around about the Canon EOS R3, the last being the confirmation of the 24mp resolution sensor.
A small bit of information I did recently receive was about the blackout and/or lag that is present in the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 EVF when shooting still images. It’s not a huge deal for a lot of shooters, but I have seen various critiques about the lag present in the Canon EOS R5 being a bit annoying in certain shooting situations.
I have been told that the Canon EOS R3 will not experience any issues with blackout and/or lag. The new image sensor in the Canon EOS R3 likely has a much faster...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I’m sure it’s better on the R5, but the issue is very noticeable on my R, and annoying.

It's definitely better on the R5, but some sports shooters that I have spoken to don't think it's good enough, especially the lag. Most just say that it feels "off".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Well, great to know that issue will be resolved with the R5 MK II/ R6 MK II cameras :)

it’s very noticable on my R and along with the (lousy) FPS with autofocus one big weak point of the R.

That isn't guaranteed. Sony have reserved the stacked sensors to the A9 and A1 line so far and I fully expect Canon to do the same to differ the pro bodies from the R5 and R6. If you need blackout free, high FPS, and low latency; then go buy the R1 or R3. If you need a general do everything camera, buy the R5 or R6. Mirrorless bodies are differentiated in many more ways than we seen in DLSR, now the high end can have faster startup times, lower latency, no blackout, higher resolution and faster EVF's, and gosh knows what else to differentiate them from the 5-series and 6-series.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I know a birder who recently upgraded to R5(sold his 1Dx for R5) and he hasn't complained of lag, only thing he complained was weak battery life.
He needs to add the vertical grip for 2x batteries. What bugs me about the grip is the cost. The Canon grip for the R cost $350 USD but includes the USB-C port and the Canon “blessed” USB charger and cable. The R5 grip also lists for $350 but the USB-C port and associated circuitry is already in place on the R5 body so no charging port on the grip and no USB charger but still the same high price… :(

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
That isn't guaranteed. Sony have reserved the stacked sensors to the A9 and A1 line so far and I fully expect Canon to do the same to differ the pro bodies from the R5 and R6.
I agree that it is not guaranteed and what you said makes sense.
On the other hand, it would mean a new image sensor for the R5 instead of reusing and old R1 sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't understand why Canon would put an SD card slot in a camera like the R3. It would make more sense to provide two Cfexpress slots and anyone who can afford the camera will certainly be able to afford the more expensive type of memory cards.. A camera "built for speed" should have the fastest available memory cards and nothing less.
I have a feeling that the R3 will essentially be the "mirrorless 1DX Mark III", inheriting that camera's "pro sports shooter" role. Further, I bet the R1 is in the works and will be Canon's "megapixel monster", likely with between 75 and 85MP.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens.... And potentially really hard on my credit cards!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
That isn't guaranteed. Sony have reserved the stacked sensors to the A9 and A1 line so far and I fully expect Canon to do the same to differ the pro bodies from the R5 and R6. If you need blackout free, high FPS, and low latency; then go buy the R1 or R3. If you need a general do everything camera, buy the R5 or R6. Mirrorless bodies are differentiated in many more ways than we seen in DLSR, now the high end can have faster startup times, lower latency, no blackout, higher resolution and faster EVF's, and gosh knows what else to differentiate them from the 5-series and 6-series.
So maybe using a mirror and prism to see through the lens wasn’t such a bad idea after all……:censored:

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
This is possibly the most important spec so far announced for the R3.

This might (at last) enable action/sports photographers to switch to mirrorless...
It would also be interesting to know if the R3 has improved start up times from off and improved wake up times from sleep. The half second extra that mirrorless takes to wake up over DSLRs can cost some shots for sports and wildlife.
Of course, with the better battery, it might be possible to have the camera sleep a lot less often. But it would still be great to see improvements.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0