The Canon EOS R5 Mark II coming in Q2, 2023? [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just because it is slower does not mean it is older.
It just means it is less costly to make.
I wrote that it is an older, slower sensor. I did not write it was older because it is slower or vice versa. Or, are you implying that is a new slower sensor that is cheap to make and not a recycled M6II/90D?

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Nice to see some R5 II rumours at least. 61MP was an odd number to pick for MP (unless for some reason they would use the Sony Sensor).
The R5 is really good, I think Canon will struggle to make meaningful improvements to it. After using 30FPS I hardly see the point of it and wouldn't desire any more (its a real diminishing return). It just burns through the memory card.
I'm very impressed with the R5 ISO noise ability. I've shot at very high ISO and gotten very acceptable images.
Focussing is very good but can be improved upon. They way it can lock onto eyes is very good but not perfect yet. It can still be fooled by cluttered backgrounds. Faster aquisition of targets would be great,
I don't see many users complaining about it but I perceive a lag between moving the eyepiece to the eye viewfinder turning on. I usually try to push a focus button as I raise it to my eye so that its on when it gets there.
I was previously waiting for an R1 but its seemed so far away, I'm very happy that I got the R5. It's really impressive. More flimsy than my 5DIV or 1DX MIII but a clear improvement on both. I have it 6 months. Sometimes you might regret buying something a while on the market once rumours start about its replacement but not for me on the R5.
If Canon bring out an R5 with meaningful improvements it will be a big achievement.
It may only increase the number of MP in the sensor and solve the overheating issue on the video.
If that's the case I will keep waiting for the mythical R1 (or maybe we will get an R2 if Sony outspec it again).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Legit ordered a new body for fun right before this post. The R7 for it's 15 mechanical flappy bit per second to keep my mind off the R5. This sounds like an ideal upgrade to the tripod megapixel 5dsR dinosaurs I have. Sounds too good to be true..my intention was was the R7 for sports & then later the FF mirrorless upgrade. Thought it would of been the R5s or R1. 60mp is more than enough if it's like the R3's contrast characteristics and sticky autofocus
I had a quick look at your Website. Really beautiful architectural photography. You've a very consistent style, very good perspectives. They really show off the houses

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I came from 5D series to R5, and despite having large hands I quickly got used to the smaller body - the grip is fine and the controls are all well-spaced.

It does feel less sturdy to me though, compared to the indestructible feel of 5D and 7D models. I've had no issues (apart from occasional freezes) with the R5, but if I was going to be in a really tough environment where my gear was going to get a real bashing, I'd have more faith in my 5DMkiv.
I feel much less sturdy and more destructible since my first 5D and 7D so the R5 and R7 are more than keeping pace with me.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Focussing is very good but can be improved upon. They way it can lock onto eyes is very good but not perfect yet. It can still be fooled by cluttered backgrounds. Faster aquisition of targets would be great.
Yes, when using animal-eye AF or plain old animal AF, I find that my R5 jumps to the background too readily (despite trying every conceivable combination of AF settings). I don't know how well it compares with a Sony a1 or a Nikon Z9, but it does need to be stickier.

I don't see many users complaining about it but I perceive a lag between moving the eyepiece to the eye viewfinder turning on. I usually try to push a focus button as I raise it to my eye so that its on when it gets there.
I find the lag particularly irritating when photographing wildlife, which can suddenly appear in front of you without any warning. I missed a lot of shots in the early days with my R5. Now, my first action is to dab the shutter button *before* raising the camera, to make sure the EVF is active. In situations where the action takes place more frequently, I tend to dab on a button every few seconds to prevent the EVF from turning off. Reducing EVF lag should IMO be the number one priority for the R5 Mkii.

Sometimes you might regret buying something a while on the market once rumours start about its replacement but not for me on the R5.
If Canon bring out an R5 with meaningful improvements it will be a big achievement.
I feel much the same way. It's a fantastic camera, and if a few of the minor issues are fixed on the Mkii (freezes, EVF lag, choice of fps and bracketing with electronic shutter, faster readout, better battery performance, stickier AF) the R5 Mkii will really be something.

Upvote 0
It's wild to see the exact same comments about this rumor when compared to the original EOS R5 rumor.
Really? Your comment is only on page 1 of 8 so far so which ones are you referring to?

Canon drip fed specifications over the best part of 6 months before release. 8k was the "big" feature and what video it could do. 45mp was the obvious resolution to handle 8k video although 39mp was the alternative if UHD implementation was the only option.

The R5ii will be an evolution over R5 whereas I think that we can all concur that the R5 was a revolutionary new body irrespective of manufacturer.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Pixel binning - why the hell isn't there a mention of pixel binning so we aren't forced to shoot full 60mp. Craw doesn't count.
Oversampling is better than pixel binning. 2 processors to handle the additional computing load of the oversampling algorithms.
cRaw is lossy and although oversampling isn't technically "raw" but would be much better than pixel binning for recording smaller resolutions than native resolution.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why 2 USB-C ports...?
Parallel power and monitoring?
One USB-C port could be for thunderbolt connectivity/recording instead of needing the HDMI port.

That said, the HDMI port should be 2.1 spec as it can handle 4K at 120Hz or 8K at 60Hz due to increasing the bandwidth from current R5 2.0 spec of 18Gbps to 48Gbps.

Fitting 2 USB-C ports, full sized HDMI and mic/headphone/flash sync would appear in the same space as the current size would be interesting. With all cables in place at the same time may actually be stronger as a bunch :)

Upvote 0
*This is just me*, but...
Video doesn't interest me, I wish they'd just produce an additional video-orientated model, and put a tilting-flippy screen (Panasonic-style) on the stills-orientated version.
Although I agree with the rest of your post, the R5c already exists as the additional video orientated model. IBIS is the only obvious missing feature.

I'm okay with the flippy screen but I can appreciate that the flip/tilt option is nice in some scenarios eg street or hand held video.
The big question for Canon is longevity. We all thought that Canon wouldn't put a flippy on the premium bodies due to reliability but no far there are no widespread problems and it is better to turn it in when not in use. Nikon and Sony with the Z9/A7Rv are pushing the next boundary for reliability.

Upvote 0
My suggestion for good camera
1) M2 SSD slot
I'm not understanding what you are asking for?
While CFexpress Type B cards are pricey, they're essentially a small M.2 2230 NVMe 1.2-compliant SSD with a PCIe 3.0 x2 interface inside a special housing.

Whilst you are paying a premium for a genuine CFexpress Type B card, you are welcome to buy a kit to do it yourself. Also, a M2 slot wouldn't handle the weatherproof and insertion cycles needed for removable storage.

Upvote 0
It sounds more like the R1 than a R5II. Nonetheless, I doubt that it would price around $3.5k.
Who knows... perhaps Nikon's pricing of the Z9 has Canon rethinking their price structure.

What else would a R1 have on top of R5ii rumoured specs?
Quad pixel AF, global shutter (or equivalent sensor read rate to alleviate needing a mechanical shutter and have neglible rolling shutter)?

• Love
Upvote 0
Secondly 61mp is a bad idea, 45 is plenty and if they go to 61 then low light high iso will suffer. Id much rather have high iso and low light capabilities then any more MP. the photocells are small enough
The R5s crowd want the extra mp. This could be a model to suit them. "Plenty" is an arbitrary term and highly dependent on what you are shooting. The number of times that I have cropped significantly surprises me so 45mp is great compared to the 5Div.

The correlation of pixel pitch and DR/low light capabilities is no longer accurate. Canon has done a remarkable job with the R5 sensor considering it is FSI.
DXOmark (love or loathe it) https://www.dxomark.com/canon-eos-r5-sensor-review-a-high-water-mark/

"As for sensor performance, the EOS R5 sensor represents a high water mark for Canon. Maximum dynamic range is competitive with the best in class, and the R5 sensor offers a useful advantage at some crucial ISO settings over its rivals. It also has excellent color and low noise at high ISOs, which all go toward making the Canon EOS R5 one of the most well-rounded performers in this important category. It may have taken a while to get here, but the Canon EOS R5 looks set to be the one to beat."

A R5ii with BSI sensor should reduce the read noise and hence improve high iso capabilities compared to FSI sensors.

• Love
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Although I agree with the rest of your post, the R5c already exists as the additional video orientated model. IBIS is the only obvious missing feature.

I'm okay with the flippy screen but I can appreciate that the flip/tilt option is nice in some scenarios eg street or hand held video.
The big question for Canon is longevity. We all thought that Canon wouldn't put a flippy on the premium bodies due to reliability but no far there are no widespread problems and it is better to turn it in when not in use. Nikon and Sony with the Z9/A7Rv are pushing the next boundary for reliability.
Yes indeed, the R5C is there for the video guys. To clarify, what I'd *like* to happen, now that the R5C exists, is for the "R5 Mkii" to be better orientated towards stills users, by dumping the flippy and switching to a tilting screen. I know Canon aren't likely to do that, but my reasoning is as follows:

I personally find flippy screens to be virtually unusable, because they are not on-axis with the lens, which makes it harder to locate and follow a moving subject. Also, if I'm using the camera at a low angle, I find it awkward to curl my hand under the flipped-out screen to cradle the lens. Therefore I nearly always have it turned inward to protect the screen, which to all intents and purposes renders it completely useless to me.

Panasonic and Fujifilm have already solved the screen-choice problem, by producing a screen that can be used flippy-style and turned inwards, but can also be used on-axis as a tilting screen. As for reliability, that remains to be proven, but I'd be happy to take the chance. In any case my gut feeling is that an R5 (even if it had been designed with a fixed screen) won't prove to be as bulletproof as a 5 series or 7 series DSLR. I'm not about to drop it on the floor to test the theory though.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The R5s crowd want the extra mp. This could be a model to suit them. "Plenty" is an arbitrary term and highly dependent on what you are shooting. The number of times that I have cropped significantly surprises me so 45mp is great compared to the 5Div.
I don't think anyone here *objects* to more MP. The problem is that we'll likely have only 2 choices - either shoot at maximum megapixel RAW, or if we want smaller file sizes, shoot on lower quality JPEG or HEIF.

It would be much better IMO if hi-res cameras had an option to shoot RAWs at lower resolutions via pixel-binning, so that the full tonal and colour gamut was present. What I'd really like to see is the option to choose between (e.g.) 90MP, 45MP and 22.5MP RAWs.

Upvote 0