The Coming EF-M Prime to be 50mm Equivalent for APS-C EOS M [CR2]

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
25,518
3,800
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
Might we get a metal barrel?

Have you not used or held a current EF-M lens?

Only the 22mm pancake with the original EOS M body years ago. Presumed all of these (other than the mount feature) were plastic -- not true?

The main/outer barrels of the first three lenses – M18-55, M22/2 and M11-22 – are metal (anodized aluminum; the inner/extending barrels are plastic), and the mounts are metal, too. The four newer lenses all have plastic barrels and mounts. Given that, I'd expect this new lens to be plastic, as well.
 

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
3,576
2,601
Germany
ahsanford said:
... the first non-macro prime we've seen in EF-M since... the original 22mm pancake? Glad to see!
Yeah!

Slowly - but only very, very slowly - the EOS M system becomes interesting to me.
Maybe, when we see another prime - say EF-M 50mm/f2.0 IS ...
It'll come surely before another EF 50/whatever USM.
Don't you think so, ahsanford?
 

olympus593

I'm New Here
Oct 12, 2015
17
1
It's a known fact that full frame mirrorless doesn't result in real weight or size reduction. But with APS-C, it's a different game, as shown by Fuji.
I believe that in a few years the majority of Canon cameras with APS-C sensors will mirrorless, and that in 5 years from now the only APS-C DSLR will be 7D3 or 7D4.

Don Haines said:
yes, but the 50F1.8 is famous for its inconsistent AF.....

He mentioned 1.8 STM, the new one, not the 50 1.8 II shifty-fifty. :p
 

AvTvM

EOS R6
Nov 4, 2011
3,165
0
not interested.

short EF-M tele lens please ... anywhere from 75-85mm f/2.4 or 2.8 ... IS STM ... or no sale to me :)
 

bdbender4

EOS M50
Jan 19, 2017
35
23
I'll take it WHATEVER it is! 35mm is fine, f/2 and up is fine, no IS is fine if it helps keep it small.

As I have posted here before, after a year of waiting for another EF-M prime besides the 22mm, I put my M5 back on the shelf and got out my Fuji X-T20. (I had invested in Fuji before Canon got serious about mirrorless with the M5.)

I like the M5 body, and the touchscreen, and Canon colors, much better than the Fuji body. The Canon 11-22mm is very sharp. But slow. Adapted EF lenses are very sharp, but just too big for the M5, got tired of doing that after a year.

I like shooting with primes. Gee, the Fuji has two 35mm primes to choose from, f/1.4 and f/2 (I have the f/2). Gee, for macro, instead of that weird EF-M 28mm f/3.5, Fuji has two macros in the 50/60mm range to choose from (I have the 50mm f/2.8 Zeiss Touit, bought used for half the new price.)

So I am not suffering, but really would like to go back to the M5.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
bdbender4 said:
So I am not suffering, but really would like to go back to the M5.

Sure, but you realize that Canon isn't Fuji and isn't going to offer a dozen compact primes for an APS-C segment, right?

If you want small and comprehensive, it's m43 or Fuji X.

If you want small and the ability to seamlessly use EF (but be underweight native-glass-wise), it's EOS M.

EOS M will never be Fuji X for a host of reasons, the principal one being Fuji has no FF line and needs to make X look as sexy possible. Canon has quite the opposite thing going on, of course.

- A
 

windsorc

I'm New Here
Oct 14, 2014
22
8
The second prime lens in 2 1/2 years for the EF-M mount. It doesn't look like Canon have any intention of creating a set of prime lenses for the M series cameras, at least, not anytime soon.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
windsorc said:
The second prime lens in 2 1/2 years for the EF-M mount. It doesn't look like Canon have any intention of creating a set of prime lenses for the M series cameras, at least, not anytime soon.

Their steady sales growth with EOS M (now #2 globally in mirrorless, correct?) would imply that simply offering the standard 'starter' slate of lenses...

  • UWA zoom
  • Standard zoom(s)
  • Tele zoom
  • Tiny prime
  • Macro

...got them this far. The $64,000 question is whether EOS M's sales are due to its appeal as a standalone platform or as a second camera for EF/EF-S users.

If it's the former, more lenses should be on offer. Perhaps not a full slate of primes -- EF-S certainly never got that -- but perhaps an 85 or 135 prime equivalent would be a logical next step.

But if it's the latter, Canon may just offer the lenses that keep the system small and simple and this 50 may be the last quick prime we see.

- A
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
25,518
3,800
ahsanford said:
Their steady sales growth with EOS M (now #2 globally in mirrorless, correct?) would imply that simply offering the standard 'starter' slate of lenses...

  • UWA zoom
  • Standard zoom(s)
  • Tele zoom
  • Tiny prime
  • Macro

...got them this far.

And

  • Superzoom

(The EF-M 18-150mm that was in one kit flavor with the M5/M6.)
 

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
2,093
381
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
Any thought on this new one being Nano USM instead of STM?

- A

Sure, the super-quiet, super fast focusing I'm sure would be very much appreciated.

Not that it matters since this is going to be EFM, but the nano EF lenses are also much prettier (than STMs) :D
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
25,518
3,800
ahsanford said:
Any thought on this new one being Nano USM instead of STM?

magic-8-ball-batman-edition-300x239.jpg
 

BillB

EOS R
May 11, 2017
1,393
659
windsorc said:
The second prime lens in 2 1/2 years for the EF-M mount. It doesn't look like Canon have any intention of creating a set of prime lenses for the M series cameras, at least, not anytime soon.

It is certainly true that the initial emphasis in the M line has been on developing a suite of inexpensive (and slow) zooms, but I don't know that it follows that this pattern will continue now that there a bunch of affordable zooms out there. A set of prime lenses might be unlikely, but some primes and some faster zooms don't seem out of the question to me.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
BillB said:
It is certainly true that the initial emphasis in the M line has been on developing a suite of inexpensive (and slow) zooms, but I don't know that it follows that this pattern will continue now that there a bunch of affordable zooms out there. A set of prime lenses might be unlikely, but some primes and some faster zooms don't seem out of the question to me.

It's very simple to me. If this brand...

...lives and dies by being smaller than its mirrored counterparts
...is simply a smaller way to shoot EF-S/EF glass for existing Canon users
...is aimed principally at travelers

then it stands to reason that Canon will keep things small and point people to the EF adaptor if they want more.

But if this brand is principally new users for Canon has attracted since EOS M came out, they might see a big ask from that camp to provide them with native mount glass. Such folks wouldn't own EF/EF-S glass, and they'd be looking at EF-M perhaps they way A7/A9 users were looking at FE for so long.

- A
 

BillB

EOS R
May 11, 2017
1,393
659
ahsanford said:
BillB said:
It is certainly true that the initial emphasis in the M line has been on developing a suite of inexpensive (and slow) zooms, but I don't know that it follows that this pattern will continue now that there a bunch of affordable zooms out there. A set of prime lenses might be unlikely, but some primes and some faster zooms don't seem out of the question to me.

It's very simple to me. If this brand...

...lives and dies by being smaller than its mirrored counterparts
...is simply a smaller way to shoot EF-S/EF glass for existing Canon users
...is aimed principally at travelers

then it stands to reason that Canon will keep things small and point people to the EF adaptor if they want more.

But if this brand is principally new users for Canon has attracted since EOS M came out, they might see a big ask from that camp to provide them with native mount glass. Such folks wouldn't own EF/EF-S glass, and they'd be looking at EF-M perhaps they way A7/A9 users were looking at FE for so long.

- A

And if it is a mix of both, or if Canon wants to broaden the M's base... ?
 

dak723

EOS R
Oct 26, 2013
1,141
435
windsorc said:
The second prime lens in 2 1/2 years for the EF-M mount. It doesn't look like Canon have any intention of creating a set of prime lenses for the M series cameras, at least, not anytime soon.

I think it is pretty simple. Will enough folks who own APS-C cameras - and especially the M5 - buy enough primes to make it worthwhile for Canon to make them? Since we haven't seen too much more than the standard zooms for EF-S, it seems that they already have that info - and the answer is no. I think there are a lot of folks like me - I haven't used a prime since my Olympus OM-1 was replaced by a Canon SLR in the mid 1990's. I have no interest whatsoever in getting a prime. The zoom lenses cover everything and do everything that I ever need. My guess is that the majority of folks who use crop cameras feel the same way (Canon rumors users are the exception). Their sales info and marketing research must tell them that primes are primarily for FF camera owners.