The first licensed autofocus lens for RF to appear from Meike?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Meike AF 85mm f/1.4 was first shown to the world at the NABShow 2023 back in April, but not much has been seen or heard of since. It now appears that Meike is planning to officially announce the lens this month. It also appears that this will be the first licensed autofocus third-party lens

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
It’s kind of weird the next choice for RF lenses is the 85.
Since I got into Canon around 1996, for the longest time I envied Nikon users their autofocus 85/1.4. It seems "Goldilocks," just right, in between the too-big 1.2 and too-mundane 1.8. Funny, I started having eye problems around the time they finally made an 85/1.4 so I never actually tried it.

Canon's rollout of EF was pretty similar the 50/1.0 and 50/1.8 coming out quickly (the 50mm being a pro-quality build, unlike the EF50/1.8 MkII).

It's possible Canon's slowly-coming 35mm will be f/1.2, and they'll leave 35mm 50mm 85mm f/1.4 lenses to third parties?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I wonder why Canon would partner with obscure lens makers rather than Sigma, Tamron, etc.? It must come down to licensing fees or some other obscure factors? It\'s odd that Canon who sells the lux 85 f/1.2 and inexpensive 85 f/2 (macro) would seemingly undercut themselves?

Maybe this way they can say: "We allow third-party lens makers, look at the Meike RF lenses", knowing they are only a small player and no real danger to Canon lens sales.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
It\'s odd that Canon who sells the lux 85 f/1.2 and inexpensive 85 f/2 (macro) would seemingly undercut themselves?
They'll probably charge enough for the licensing that the 85/1.4 from a third party would not be cheaper than their in-house 85/2. The 85/2 also would probably get some buyers for "being Canon," whether just for the name recognition, or because Canon's been making these things for a century and really knows what it's doing. (Lens Rentals takes apart all the lenses and seems really impressed with Canon's internal designs.) Or for the macro capability, or perhaps its higher image quality.

In Canon's shoes I might want to license only lenses that are less sharp than the in-house lenses, and Sigma wasn't willing to come up with worse designs?

I'm not really a Canon fan, it's more of a codependency. Since I got into the outfit in 1996 or so, I knew they were mainly doing what was best for them, not best for me, but also, what was best for them would probably benefit me a fair bit anyway (e.g., making really good equipment is a way to make money!). I sure wish Canon licensed every other maker to RF, but sigh, I know why it's not happening, and I'm not about to move to Sony or Nikon over it. It's also possible that a company that was so generous in that way might ultimately make less or no money and shut the product line down. So if Canon's being a greedy tightass that's an annoyance but one that could also conversely benefit me in the long run.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Reviews will be hotly watched. Hopefully it can keep up with the AF systems in the camera. Though this lens in particular is portrait oriented, where speed of AF may not be an issue as much as an action oriented lens would be.

I want to see the new sigma 20mm mirrorless lens on the RF mount, great for astro. And maybe the 150-600. A refreshed 50mm 1.4 Art could be cool, but my EF one is so good I'm not sure it'll be worth the upgrade. Lets hope this opens up the gates eventually.

-Brian

Upvote 0
Is Meike a company to get excited about?

Not for me, at least until today; then things may certainly improve.
Until the release of Art series, "I wouldn't have touched a Sigma lens with a 10 feet pole" as someone says, while today I'm just waiting for the day (if it will ever came) Sigma would release RF lenses, so I can trade all my Canon lenses with Sigma equivalents (and trade all my Sigma DSLR lenses for their mirrorless equivalents), as I deem Sigma the best lens manufacturer today on the market.

Maybe Meike, or Viltrox, Yongnuo, or Samyang (brands that today I wouldn't touch with a teen feet pole) in 10 years will be my favourite lenses manufacturers, who knows?

Upvote 0
Maybe Meike, or Viltrox, Yongnuo, or Samyang (brands that today I wouldn't touch with a teen feet pole) in 10 years will be my favourite lenses manufacturers, who knows?
Post WWII, Japanese manufacturing was cheap and "cheerful" and now a symbol of quality. The Koreans came next and now the Chinese in most industries with car production being the most obvious. Western technology was transferred to tap cheap labour and domestic market penetration but China has dictated the best terms for local equity ownership and overall IP transfer. A massive emerging middle class is helping them to become self sufficient and they produce some key commodities that the world has difficulty finding and they are trying to develop bleeding edge tech as well.
Serious economic downturns from Covid shutdown to property market disasters will hurt them a lot and will flow to other countries in some way.

India has been different in that IT services quality/cost was their predominant outsourcing attraction to western countries. I couldn't work out why outsourced manufacturing didn't became a big thing there. Infrastructure eg stable electricity may have been one factor but they sorted our telecommunications.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
I couldn't work out why outsourced manufacturing didn't became a big thing there.
One factor is that it's very hard to buy big parcels of land to build a factory. It requires making deals with 1000 of individuals and not everyone is willing to sell no matter what the price. Modi's previous job was chief minister of Gujarat and he was very pro-business but I don't think he could do a huge amount either. I also wonder if a lot of people don't have a documented ownership and thus simply can't sell: their family may have been in a site for many generations but simply not have anything that says it's theirs.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
I am not of a use case for an autofocus 14/1.4 but it would be great to be EF mount and manual focus for astro.
Exactly, I don't even do astro, I want it for my fellow shooters. It's not only got the spec but it has nearly zero coma. It's really purpose-made for this this... purpose... that doesn't sound right???

Upvote 0
Exactly, I don't even do astro, I want it for my fellow shooters. It's not only got the spec but it has nearly zero coma. It's really purpose-made for this this... purpose... that doesn't sound right???
and they made is solely for Sony E mount which is suspiciously like Sony did a deal with them for some reason.

• Wow
Upvote 0