The Follow-Up to the EOS 5D Mark III Will be Called...... [CR2]

neuroanatomist said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
I always did hate the late summer (and even worse once it started sliding to late fall) release schedule. Out goes wedding season in big chunks of the world where DSLR sell well.

The 5DIII came out in spring, and I got my 1D X in July. But my wedding season happened 23 years ago. :)

LOL 42 here.
I thought Bridal Fairs were for shopping for a new bride.
I don't shoot weddings, so my credit card can cool off for a bit longer.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Orangutan said:
slclick said:
"just sell your glass...."

Folks who make statements like that don't see too clearly imho.....and seeing clearly is what this place is all about.

How so? Glass is just money.

Just sell your home,just change jobs, just move to another country....most statements by people starting with 'just' that involve money and investments who are not making said decisions are BS. There seems to be two types of posters here, those who tell others what they should do and those who don't. Guess which are more respected?

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
slclick said:
Orangutan said:
slclick said:

Folks who make statements like that don't see too clearly imho.....and seeing clearly is what this place is all about.

Just sell your home,just change jobs, just move to another country....
Laying aside the reductio ad absurdum, I totally get what you're saying...that it's not reasonable to spend a lot of money unless you get something of sufficient worth in return. I would add that each person is entitled to make those decisions individually: a wealthy person may find it worthwhile to have several full kits, while someone of more modest means (such as myself) may try to get the best value in one small kit.

Is that correct?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Orangutan said:
slclick said:
Orangutan said:
slclick said:

Laying aside the reductio ad absurdum, I totally get what you're saying...that it's not reasonable to spend a lot of money unless you get something of sufficient worth in return. I would add that each person is entitled to make those decisions individually: a wealthy person may find it worthwhile to have several full kits, while someone of more modest means (such as myself) may try to get the best value in one small kit.

Is that correct?

Not too mention the process of selling and that is a different story for everyone. i.e. location, market, size of collection. All not absurd examples

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
slclick said:
Orangutan said:
slclick said:
Orangutan said:
slclick said:

Is that correct?

Not too mention the process of selling and that is a different story for everyone. i.e. location, market, size of collection. All not absurd examples

Yep, all true.

What I'd add is that similar issues apply to businesses. E.g., for Canon to invest in the R&D necessary to produce sensors that match Sony's best at low ISO, while continuing to do what Canon needs at high ISO, will cost money. Only Canon knows how much money it will cost but, like individuals, they get to decide whether they think that would give them enough return to justify that expenditure. Since they continue to be the market leader and most profitable camera manufacturer, I would have to guess they they don't think such a major investment, all at once, would give them sufficient return. Clearly they've made some improvements to the 1DX2 and 80D, and we can hope for more in the future. Most likely that will be the pattern in the foreseeable future: small improvements from small R&D expenditures to maintain their profitability.

Upvote 0
Pebbles said:
Yep, 13 years as the market leader as Nikon falls further behind and Sony sells a small fraction.

Come on. That's such a dumb argument. Because they are selling more cameras and lenses they are also ahead in the technology stakes? Every empire crumbles. You'd struggle to find anyone to argue that Windows mobile was a great OS, or that Windows 8 really hit the spot. MS were the market leader and now look at the sorry state they are in. Almost no share of the mobile market. For those of us invested in glass, we are a captive audience. This forum seems to be split between pragmatists who just want modern equipment and see how Canon are simply failing to innovate or even keep up, and this weird crowd of Canon devotees who will not see their chosen brand sullied.

A ridiculous but unsurprising analysis, given your contributions so far. There are plenty of pragmatists - some happy with Canon, some unhappy. There are a few extreme naysayers who pop up here and spout nonsense about how Canon is terribly out of date, doomed, etc. And there are some people who try to point out alternative views and analysis (and I'd hazard that the majority of forum users are none of these, and just get on with taking pictures for pleasure or profit).

Pebbles said:
Surely all that matters is being able to get the best possible equipment for the money you have to spend. Who cares about which brand it is.

This I can agree with. If only your earlier comments were as reasonable.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
I invest in EF glass not cameras, my camera is...emm...12 Mp 5D from 2005...works fine 8)
But if 5D Mk IV is the camera where sensor technology is revolutionised maybe i'll skip a lens purchase....

Haha, here too. Since the original 5D came out nothing really stunned or convinced me that much again... at least not from the pictureresults. Ok, one or two more stops could be nice, but even @ISO800 it's still on par with the newer 5D's and 12MP is way enough. Autofocus is nothing I really need, so the 5DM3 was nice but also no killerargument.

So I stepped aside to mediumformat and Sigma Merrill based sensors... but if Canon finally would make a huge step forward I would think about it. Hell, my old 5D has probably more shots than Canon ever specced it to survive ;)

Buy glass, not bodies. 8)

Upvote 0
The Follow-Up to the EOS 5D Mark III will be a phantastic camera, reliable in every situation, just like the EOS 5D Mark III is a phantastic camera, and I couldn't care less if it will have low iso DR of 12, 14 or 16. The recent announcements from Canon are promising, that it makes a lot of sense for me to wait. I don't care, how it is called.
I am convinced, that I will see it in Cologne.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
I always did hate the late summer (and even worse once it started sliding to late fall) release schedule. Out goes wedding season in big chunks of the world where DSLR sell well.

The 5DIII came out in spring, and I got my 1D X in July. But my wedding season happened 23 years ago. :)

Yeah and I loved the spring release for the 5D3. But pretty much that and some 1 series are it. The xxD and 5D2 were later year releases.

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
slclick said:
Orangutan said:
slclick said:
Orangutan said:
slclick said:

Is that correct?

Yep, all true.

What I'd add is that similar issues apply to businesses. E.g., for Canon to invest in the R&D necessary to produce sensors that match Sony's best at low ISO, while continuing to do what Canon needs at high ISO, will cost money. Only Canon knows how much money it will cost but, like individuals, they get to decide whether they think that would give them enough return to justify that expenditure. Since they continue to be the market leader and most profitable camera manufacturer, I would have to guess they they don't think such a major investment, all at once, would give them sufficient return. Clearly they've made some improvements to the 1DX2 and 80D, and we can hope for more in the future. Most likely that will be the pattern in the foreseeable future: small improvements from small R&D expenditures to maintain their profitability.

Now that Sony split off their sensors and appear willing to sell the best, right away, to anyone, I really wish Canon would just give up sensors and use Sony. The A7R II sensor in a 5D would be pretty amazing (if they didn't cripple any video usability features). The 80D sensor doesn't seem that close to Sony yet, sure much better than the 70D sensor, but much more to go. No saying the 1DX/5D4 sensors will be better than 80D.

Upvote 0