The manual for the Canon EOS RP is now available for your reading pleasure

603 pages. Instant fail, as far as I'm concerned.

I won't even read this one, but from other recent ones I already know that Canon don't write succinctly, repeat information, and omit information (have they ever documented the flash compensation curve in evaluative metering?).

But more than that, the cameras are doing too much and are unnecessarily complicated to use.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
USB charging is still via an optional adaptor and not at all useful feature unlike with competition which can charge via any battery packs. That is a massive disappointment for this camera claiming charging via USB.

The R charges from anything that supports USB-PD, including powerbanks and battery packs, are you saying the RP is different?

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012

I won't even read this one, but from other recent ones I already know that Canon don't write succinctly, repeat information, and omit information (have they ever documented the flash compensation curve in evaluative metering?).

But more than that, the cameras are doing too much and are unnecessarily complicated to use.

I'm curious as to why you'd think that a good, detailed manual is indicative of a failure. I want detailed information on how to use every function on the camera.

I'm sure that there's a quick-start guide also included, that covers basic operation and features.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Page 252 of the manual says 23.98fps is available when set to NTSC. Hopefully this includes 1080p!

View attachment 183145
It does not support 1080 at ~24FPS only at ~30FPS - according to a just released hand-on preview by Jared Polin at Froknowsphoto.com (search it on youtube). He makes it clear that (even though it's a 30 minute video) the video is not a review of the camera but a preview only. He is disappointed by Canon's continued designed-constraints in their video capabilities in their EOS DSLR and SLR (mirrorless) cameras. But his impression of the feel, use, and stills capabilities of the camera are very good. With video capability more designed for the "mom & pop shooters capturing the kiddos" (my paraphrase) rather than as a second ("B", or even "C") body for serious video shooters.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I'm curious as to why you'd think that a good, detailed manual is indicative of a failure. I want detailed information on how to use every function on the camera.

I'm sure that there's a quick-start guide also included, that covers basic operation and features.

I don't understand knocking a large manual...? Having purchased and owned Canon products for the past nearly 30 years, their manuals all have a ToC and are typically well-laid-out. With basic operation info towards the front and more complex, advanced functions deeper into the manual. And with the addition of video capabilities going back around 12-15 years, this nearly doubled the size of the manual because now you have a large section devoted to the video capabilities and functions...

Upvote 0

PDF viewers usually have a search function accessible via Ctrl+f and then you can click "Next" or "Back" to skim through the document ... its 2019

Upvote 0
CR Guy: Thanks for providing the link, very helpful for decision making.

I intended to use the RP for Full HD with e.g. the 10-22 in crop mode to have a real "16mm" lens + 4k if I need it (possible).

But Full HD is NOT possible. I do not see any reason why this is impossible - makes me stay with the M50 until I really need 4k.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The R charges from anything that supports USB-PD, including powerbanks and battery packs, are you saying the RP is different?

Never heard about it but I am 5...10 years behind with most computer equipment. Interesting features are provided by USB-PD with flexible voltages and currents and data communication to set them! The PD power supply from Canon seems expensive but those from other manufacturers and USB-PS powerbanks aren't really cheap. But it's good to know that there is mobile power source available.

And the manual states: "you can charge battery pack ..." - not you "must use this specific ..."

EDIT: Hopefully it does not conflict with guarantee !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't found any information about setting the IS effectivity (lens and myself) for Av mode

One example of my problem:
M50 chooses 1/250 sec @200mm with the EF 70-200 IS f/4 before it cranks up the ISO (IS is on) I would prefer that you can set maybe 3 stops IS effectivity to let it go to 1/30 sec before it cranks up ISO. - Or more general 3 stops below 1/<focal length * 1.25> or so.

Does anyone of you know a camera where you have control over such a setting?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I haven't found any information about setting the IS effectivity (lens and myself) for Av mode

One example of my problem:
M50 chooses 1/250 sec @200mm with the EF 70-200 IS f/4 before it cranks up the ISO (IS is on) I would prefer that you can set maybe 3 stops IS effectivity to let it go to 1/30 sec before it cranks up ISO. - Or more general 3 stops below 1/<focal length * 1.25> or so.

Does anyone of you know a camera where you have control over such a setting?
The 1DX MkII allows you to adjust the focal length/shutter speed equation for auto ISO.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bearing in mind that I have not read this one, but only most of the R, and all of the manuals for the 5D Mk IV, 1DX Mk II, Sony α9, and Nikon 850 (because I was considering all those cameras) and am assuming this is like the one for the R :

The Canon R and 5D Mk IV manuals are neither good nor detailed. They aren't good because they are repetitive (sometimes on the very next page), bury key information in cryptic footnotes, and don't explain the concepts behind what's going on. For example, I'm left to guess what on earth "Highlight Tone Priority" might be based on the footnote that ISOs below 200 become unavailable. They aren't detailed, omitting bread-and-butter information like the program curve and the adjustments the camera makes by default to fill flash ratio based on EV. They are certainly long, patronising, and heavy on space-padding graphics.

From a consumer point of view, I have a limited amount of patience with new devices. I managed to read the Nikon D850 manual from start to finish in one sitting and am confident that if you handed me one and a lens without the manual I could now take it on a holiday and operate it with no problems. The manual is well written and describes a well thought out interface, and because the interface is well thought out it is bound to be easier to describe. There is no way I would dare try that with any recent Canon camera.

The 1Dx II manual was a bit easier for me because I've been using earlier 1 series Canons for a long time, so I can't judge with a fresh mind how good or bad it was. I did think the whole business of AF cases was overhead I, and the manual, could do without.

Is there Stockholm syndrome here? Do people really think it is normal and reasonable for the aperture control to jump around between wheels depending on what mode the camera is in? It doesn't do that on the Nikon, so they don't have to spend two pages explaining it. Why does anyone think it's OK for Canon to arbitrarily restrict what function you can map to the programmable buttons, to the extent that they have to put a huge table of the allowed options in the manual?

And every feature you add you have to describe. Fv mode is a classic case. An utterly pointless feature which damages usability and the readability of the manual.

Setting aside video modes, on-camera raw conversion and stuff like that, the stills part of a camera manual should not be longer than 10 pages. Any more, and there is either something wrong with the manual or the camera design.

And generally speaking, the way this should be done is to write those 10 pages first and then design the camera around them. Then you would have the 10 pages, and, therefore, the final manual would be 10 pages. That's why I think the state of Canon's manuals is indicative of the state of their camera design, and why I pay so much attention to manual quality for things like cameras (and washing machines, vacuum cleaners, and home cinema gear).

That might be fine if the camera came with sensible defaults, but none of my Canon cameras did.

PDF viewers usually have a search function accessible via Ctrl+f and then you can click "Next" or "Back" to skim through the document ... its 2019

I'm not the slightest bit interested in using the manual as a reference. I want to read the manual once from start to end to understand how to use the camera and then never bother with the manual again.

I suspect there may be people who like to mine gadgets for "exciting" new features, but I'm not one of them, and I want a camera to be simple to operate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0