The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming next month [CR2]

-option for exporting camera settings (write to memory card)-option for disabling both EVF and display while shooting time lapses etc. (saving power)

-changing settings must not require pushing set button - like it used to be (5D4)

-some useful customization for the rate button

-Pixel shift

- MS/ESFC auto change to avoid shutter shake at certain exposure time range especially with long lenses

-Record function+card/folder settings change after taking out a memory card. Please provide a way of returning to existing setting after the card has been returned

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
honestly the options already are a bit overwhelming, but there are features it'd be nice to see and see others indicating
- better programming on buttons
- better control on IBIS/IS
-pixel shift.
- better control on rapid fire when not using shutter. (its nuts how fast it goes)
- even faster FPS in 1080p ;-) it'd be interesting
- trigger on brightness change or movement (Magic Lantern did this with older canons, so definitely possible and useful from time to time)... heck they should hire the magic lantern guy and have him go nuts.

trying to be realistic on which can be done via software vs hardware

while I'm not a big video person, did see the wobble at the corners with wider lenses (24mm end of the 24-70) and IBIS with video.. would be nice if they got that under control a bit better, but not sure if a hardware or software issue.

Upvote 0

SV

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 24, 2017
My biggest ask: Ability to save current eye-focus point to the single focus point - would be very useful in animal/bird photography.

Example: Acquire eye using eye-AF, then press a button to save point as the single AF point. When animal moves head slightly and lose eye-af, you can use the newly positioned single AF point to maintain focus until get the eye back.

Think of it like when using a TTL Strobe and press a button to save settings for manual strobe, and can then adjust manual settings as needed. In this case its Eye-AF, then save point as the single focus point, and can then manually adjust as needed.

Upvote 0
-option for exporting camera settings (write to memory card)-option for disabling both EVF and display while shooting time lapses etc. (saving power)
I believe that I have worked out a way to do this for star trails with a manual remote.
Set the rear LCD in the menu (turn off EVF) and then close the rear LCD. I have the MF-n button set to alternate EVF/read LCD for underwater usage as the housing permanently blocks the EVF sensor (why can't the rate button do this!!) so I used it then closed the rear LCD

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Still no way to save/restore settings from card or EOS utilities externally. Very helpfull when multiple users are using the same camera or factory reset is done. As in the 1Dx and other Canon cameras. This has been requested for a while now. Frequently posted all over the internet. Canon can't be that unaware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My wish list:
Remap the Rate and Lock buttons
Pixel shift
Bug fix for my occasional freeze that I get
Turn off focus search when LCD/EVF is on battery save *
Save the settings to a card or PC/DPP
Battery status on top LCD
Overexposure blinkies in liveview
Being able to access/change 4k120 without diving into the menus

* Anything to improve battery life would be an advantage.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
My wish list:
Remap the Rate and Lock buttons
Pixel shift
Bug fix for my occasional freeze that I get
Turn off focus search when LCD/EVF is on battery save *
Save the settings to a card or PC/DPP
Battery status on top LCD
Overexposure blinkies in liveview
Being able to access/change 4k120 without diving into the menus

* Anything to improve battery life would be an advantage.

"Turn off focus search when LCD/EVF is on battery save *"

I was annoyed by that but if it's what I had on, I was able to turn it off so it only continually focuses while I have the focus button pressed or if it detects a face/eye..
I went into the Autofocus menu and page 1 continuous autofocus disable. Prior to that it always was trying to lock a focus, chewing battery and when just holding the camera while waiting it'd keep focusing back and forth trying to figure out what I wanted in focus.

I also turn on Initial Server AF pt for face detect on page 5 so that it starts auto focus where I want it to, rather than it guessing.... of course each person has a preference, but damn if there aren't a lot of options already.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
What? I haven’t used an R5, yet, but that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. At least give the option to choose which way you want it to work.
I think thats what he meant.

And I agree - in studio light it would be very usefull if I could lock the aperture to the actual aperture I dialed in =)

Upvote 0
Where's the fw update to allow lower shooting speeds with e-shutter there should be a 10fps at a minimum and even a 5fps option added like on the Sony A9. I almost never use 20fps on my A9 and when you do shoot 20fps 80% of the shots are the same.

Apart from that good to see them bringing new fw but they are still fairly minor compared to a Sony or Fuji fw update. Given the lengthy time between updates why not add more features in one go.

Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
How do you let Canon know that you demand the R5 mkii comes with the Direct Print button?

Navigate via a web-browser to www.usa.canon.com and then look at the top left of your screen where you will see the word feedback.

If you point your mouse at that and then use your left finger to click on it, you will then be prompted by 3 choices.

Move the mouse to the bottom of the 3 choices and using the same finger motion as before, click on the Product option.

This will then open up a new window that allows you to demand Canon re-implement the Direct Print button or perhaps if you are desperate for 480P options on R5, then go ahead and demand that and while you are it, threaten that you are switching to Pentax if they don't accommodate.....

1611273603862.png

• Haha
  • Love
Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
I would like two things :

The ability to turn off the IBIS but still leave the IS activated on the lens.

I would also like other crop modes such as an APS-H 1.3x crop. I never liked the 1.6 crop cameras. It's just too extreme and too much of a compromise. I still like my old 1D Mark4 and I had the 1d2, 2n and 3 before that. A 1.3x crop on the R5 would be a very useful 26mp or so.

Upvote 0
This might sound and odd adition, but as long as I'm working with people and their pets, I missed a lot to have a shortcut to change between people and animal eye AF. This add would be extremely welcome.
I have added that change into the custom menu. Probably a step too far to add it as an option to an assignable button

Upvote 0