The RF mount mirrorless version of the EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2021 [CR3]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Plenty of working photographers still using the 1DX and 1DX2. Just because they make money doesn't mean they want to piss it away on upgrades.

They'll keep using those bodies until they finally fail or they get a really compelling trade-in offer.

Or their jobs disappear.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
How is it the “obvious” nomenclature when EVERY “pro” camera has been called EOS-1something.
It’ll be called EOS-1R

Nah, all of the film bodies were the EOS-1something.

The digital bodies have been the EOS 1Dsomething.

All of the RF bodies so far have been the EOS Rsomething, even though all of their DSLR predecessors were EOS somethingD.

The new 1-series camera will be the EOS R1.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Valid points, to be sure!

Just makes me wonder why Canon didn't do that with the 1DXIII...

Canon has not had any M-Raw or S-Raw modes in any of the cameras with .CR3 raw files and the C-Raw option.

It seems they assume the only reason for using M-Raw or S-Raw was to save storage space.

Of course there are still quite a number of output resolution options in JPEG. Maybe HEIF as well, I haven't really looked as file size isn't that big a deal for what I do.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don't see Canon announcing an R1 without a couple of RF big whites. The lenses adapt flawlessly, but they will want to make a splash of a fully baked RF Pro solution.

They will be the next generation 300/2.8 and 500/4 that were not updated when the 400/2.8 IS III and 600/4 IS III came out in 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don’t understand why the fps drops with low battery charge on the R5 - my old 7D2 shoots 10fps all day until the battery dies
Why not allow the full 12fps until the battery dies ? Easy to carry spare batteries and if you can afford an R5 the cost of the batteries is not an issue
This is purely a firmware issue as the hardware must be able to cope surely so Canon should be able to sort this out with a firmware update
Voltages drop as the battery capacity decreases. The R5 and R6 have full frame shutters, which have more mass and need to travel further for each image than the one in the 7D. I am not certain of the exact challenges that prevent the high FPS mode to be used at lower capacities. But I don't think it had anything to do with Canon withholding features or preserving battery life.

What Joules said.

Additionally, the 1D X series (all three of them) use three cell Li-Ion batteries rated at 10.8V, whereas the 7D Mark II uses two cell Li-Ion batteries rated at 7.2V.

So the 7D Mark II is already running at two-thirds the voltage of the 1D X series. If the 7D Mark II had a 10.8V battery, it could probably go faster with a full charge than it does with a 7.2V battery at full charge. Most of us who use 7D Mark II bodies for that many frames also use a grip with two 7.2V batteries in them. Perhaps at some point when the voltage starts to drop the camera can draw some power from both batteries to keep the nominal voltage at 7.2V?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Both batteries are exactly the same voltage with slightly higher storage so the LP-E6NH batteries last slightly longer but the voltage doesn’t changes 7.2 volts for all versions of the LP-E6

And the LP-E19 (and previous LP-E4 that are backwards/forward compatible) run at 10.8V.

But all of those voltages are nominal at full charge. As they are used the voltage begins to drop. By the time they are down to 10% or so, the 7.2V batteries are probably only outputting around 6 volts.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
An ideal R1 for me:
  • 24 MP
  • Dual CF Express
  • 20 FPS mechanical and Electrical(perhaps rolling shutter free)
  • 1 series battery
  • Pre-gripped
  • No focus on video, there is a C70 in the same price range now with much better video bits and bobs on it
  • Faster AF than R5 (Dual Digic X perhaps)
  • TB3/USB-C. TB3 might be impossible due to the size of the controller
  • 2.5 or 10 Gb Ethernet for tethering when I am doing product shots right into Capture One
  • No AA filter or close like the 1DXIII
  • A RF 500mm f/4.0 - f/5.6 prime to shove on it on day one, preferably of the DO variety.
  • 14 bit RAW even at 20FPS mechanical
  • Under £7000

AF processing has not been done on the DiG!C chip(s) in any of the 1D X series bodies. Nor the 7D Mark II, 5D Mark III, and IV, for that matter.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Well no Nikon was totally dominant in the pro market until Canon targeted them with their pro Eos lenses like the EF300 f/2.8 , EF50 f/1.0 and their first competitive pro camera the EOS 1n

Their older F-1 wasn't considered a pro camera by the professionals and the whole EOS system with the first decent autofocus system won the pros over to the point where nearly all pro sports photographers use Canon

I'm well aware of the history of camera gear (I'm 58) and the way Canon carefully planned their way to the top of the pro market with reliable quality gear , outstanding performance and the best customer service of any camera company

It was USM AF which was enabled by the all-electronic interface between the camera body and the lens that put Canon ahead of Nikon. Specifically, it was the original EF 300mm f/2.8L USM introduced in November 1987.

In 1987 when Canon introduced the EOS system, over 75% of professionals shooting in the 135 format used Nikon. Having said that, there were plenty of pros in the remaining 25% who shot Canon F-1s. There were certainly pro-grade accessories available for the F-1, such as high speed motor drives , as compared to consumer level lower speed power winders, and high capacity film magazines that could hold as much as 35 feet (250 frames) of bulk film.

F1250bulkfilmback.jpg

A scant five years later, in 1992, Canon had overtaken Nikon as the #1 camera used by working pros who shot 135 - there were still a ton of pros using 645 or larger format film.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
AF processing has not been done on the DiG!C chip(s) in any of the 1D X series bodies. Nor the 7D Mark II, 5D Mark III, and IV, for that matter.
What exactly do you mean by this? To quote from the official 1DX III white paper, detailing the enhancements the Digic X processor has over previous iterations:

"Dedicated sections (“blocks”) of the processor for specific Dual Pixel CMOS AF tasks, and for subject detection (including the new Head Detection AF, and AF tracking capabilities for both viewfinder and Live View shooting)"

This sounds very much like AF processing is a responsibility of the Digic main processor in n the 1DX III. In fact, I guess it does handle the majority of this task, in light of the R6 and R5 AF performance, neither of which has the second processor as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What exactly do you mean by this? To quote from the official 1DX III white paper, detailing the enhancements the Digic X processor has over previous iterations:

"Dedicated sections (“blocks”) of the processor for specific Dual Pixel CMOS AF tasks, and for subject detection (including the new Head Detection AF, and AF tracking capabilities for both viewfinder and Live View shooting)"

This sounds very much like AF processing is a responsibility of the Digic main processor in n the 1DX III. In fact, I guess it does handle the majority of this task, in light of the R6 and R5 AF performance, neither of which has the second processor as far as I can tell.

From what I've understood there are 2 scenarios for the 1dx3:
  1. Using the OVF, AF is using a separate sensor coupled to a Digic 8 for processing
  2. Using liveview, AF is done on the main sensor by the Digic X
What I can't find right now is what kind of 'processing' the digic 8 does, it could be just AE, actual AF, including the 'deep learning helmet' is done on the digic X. DPreview says "There's also now a dedicated Digic 8 processor for autofocus and metering through the viewfinder." in their coverage of the announcement.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Okay, so the DiG!C X cameras do main sensor based AF processing on the DiG!C chip. All of the previous DSLR cameras I listed had separate processors for (at least) viewfinder based AF, as does the 1D X Mark III when using the OVF based AF system.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
And the LP-E19 (and previous LP-E4 that are backwards/forward compatible) run at 10.8V.

But all of those voltages are nominal at full charge. As they are used the voltage begins to drop. By the time they are down to 10% or so, the 7.2V batteries are probably only outputting around 6 volts.

What I know from cell phone batteries, full-full is 4.2V and typical full is 4.1V. Nominal/rated is the 3.6V and shut-down is usually around 3.1-3.2V, maybe down to 3V if adventurous. Those camera batteries have 2 in series, or 3 for 1DX.

So from those,

normal full (>95%) is 8.2V / 12.3V
nominal is 7.2V / 10.8V (about 80% down to 20% is fairly close to this voltage)
Shut down (<10%) is around 6.2V / 9.3V.

Upvote 0
The processing power of a single DiG!C X (which is what the 1D X Mark III has -a single DiG!C X processor) dwarfs the combined power of the Dual DiG!C6+ processors in the 1D X Mark II.
Yes, there are other independent processors for things like AF and metering in the 1D X Mark III, but that is no different from the 1D X Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 1D X, and 5D Mark III which also had such independent processors in addition to the main DiG!C image processing chips.
The current processing power of the Digic X is substantial but also a single hot spot performing all operations. The 1DXiii has more space for thermal dissipation that the R5 so no overheating issues. In liveview/mirrorless, all the functions are done centrally whereas in OVF mode they can be separated ie the other AF/metering chips are physically separated in the 1DXiii/5Div etc but they are all combined into the Digix X chip for R5

For my proposed R1 specs, there needs to be more processing power than what the R5 can currently do. My proposal is to have 2 x Digic X processors. The power may not need to be twice the max speed so the 2 processors could have a slower clock speed or parallel process in a way that the individual max temp is lower and that the heat is spread out physically to 2 areas in the body.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So is the title of this thread accurate? We're going to get a mirrorless version of the 1dxMiii? Sounds like old tech to me other than it's gonna be mirrorless.

What part of "... it WILL NOT recycle the EOS-1D X Mark III sensor.. " is too hard for you to understand?

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
The only information I have been told about the camera spec wise is that it WILL NOT recycle the EOS-1D X Mark III sensor.

Best part of the news! :)

Let the pro bodies raise up in MP! Maybe 24-30MP!

Big need:
NO SHUTTER BLACKOUT AND LAG!
And 120Hz+ 5MP EVF minimum!

Will there be a battle of Sony and Canon? Anything about Nikon :D?
But Sonys A9II isn't that old... hm

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
"What part of "... it WILL NOT recycle the EOS-1D X Mark III sensor.. " is too hard for you to understand? "

"How on earth could anyone glean that this is a recycling of old tech? Please, find an adult community college course to help in reading comprehension."

Sounds like I'm going to have to add a /s in my posts made in jest to cater to the simpler crowd. :sneaky:

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
"What part of "... it WILL NOT recycle the EOS-1D X Mark III sensor.. " is too hard for you to understand? "

"How on earth could anyone glean that this is a recycling of old tech? Please, find an adult community college course to help in reading comprehension."

Sounds like I'm going to have to add a /s in my posts made in jest to cater to the simpler crowd. :sneaky:
Sorry, that retort was as weak as the supposed sarcasm. Simpler crowd? Insults as well? Take a hike.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0