The sensor in the upcoming Canon EOS R3 is designed and manufactured by Canon

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS-1D X Mark III
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
After the development announcement of the Canon EOS R3, the internet went a bit silly with stories about who is actually manufacturing the image sensor in the Canon EOS R3. Why it mattered? I don’t know, but I stayed away from the claims made by a bunch of sites.
PetaPixel reports that Canon has directly told them the following about the Canon EOS R3 image sensor.
The sensor in the upcoming EOS R3 camera is Canon designed and manufactured.
I’m glad this issue has been put to rest and we can get on with things.

Continue reading...

Reactions: frjmacias and Chig

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Hardly surprising as Canon only use their own sensors in all their current cameras , why would they start using Sony hand me downs ?
Edit : I've been told Canon use Sony sensors in their powershot cameras.

Last edited:

john1970

EOS R5
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Good to know that Canon developed and manufactured this sensor. I would expect all sensors going forward to be either BSI or BSI/stacked going forward.

Last edited:

Hector1970

EOS R
CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Hardly a surprise its their own sensor.
Was there any relevant sensor Patents from Canon to align with this camera.
Any 45/50 MP sensor patents or have they been 20 / 30 MP sensors?

Reactions: chasingrealness

Sharlin

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
For real, where did all those rumors come from?

Hardly surprising as Canon only use their own sensors in all their current cameras, why would they start using Sony hand me downs ?

Well, you know how the Internet works? Presumably the rumors stemmed from the idea that obviously Canon can't have made such an advanced sensor themselves, so it's actually a Sony camera in disguise and Canon is only not d****d thanks to Sony. Or something.

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
This 30 MP Sony sensor is probably for A9 III. If R3 is also 30 MP, it will be interesting to see the price difference between the two. Hopefully, we will know a lot more about R3 in a couple of weeks.

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
This 30 MP Sony sensor is probably for A9 III. If R3 is also 30 MP, it will be interesting to see the price difference between the two. Hopefully, we will know a lot more about R3 in a couple of weeks.
Problem is, in a couple of weeks was two weeks ago....Bring it on Canon.