The specifications for the upcoming Nikon Z 9 leak out ahead of the official announcement

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Now Nikon is coming out with a 400 2.8 + 1.4x.
We’re getting out-innovated, folks. Canon just wants to sit at the top of the mountain and do nothing and hope the R5/R6’s keep selling forever.
If the built-in 1.4xTC is anything like the one on their 180-400 f/4, it will be a disaster. So let's hope they have learned their lessom.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
We’re getting out-innovated, folks. Canon just wants to sit at the top of the mountain and do nothing and hope the R5/R6’s keep selling forever.
I wonder if the new Nikon 400/2.8 will use fluorite? I like how for years they bashed Canon’s innovation as susceptible to thermal shock and cracking…then they started using it themselves (in camera lenses, they’d actually used fluorite in microscope objectives all along).

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
If this lens is made small and "light" like the latest Canon and also accepts external teleconverters, it will be an incredibly versatile wildlife lens.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
A nice article with some great photos. It would be much appreciated if you post some here. By the way, Terns are now missing from Inner Farne as our National Trust failed to maintain their habitat during the covid period and it became too overgrown for them.
Late reply, since I am really busy (IPCC etc): thank you, Alan :). I am a bit lazy with showing my images...

And I am very sorry that the terns left Inner Farme! Hope they'll return again. My fav cap still has marks of their acidic sh (beep) t.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I wonder if the new Nikon 400/2.8 will use fluorite? I like how for years they bashed Canon’s innovation as susceptible to thermal shock and cracking…then they started using it themselves (in camera lenses, they’d actually used fluorite in microscope objectives all along).
Here is my EF 500mm f/4.5 L USM which contains fluorite glass: made in 1995, survived several crashs, sandstorms, salt water spray, heavy rain - and still works flawlessly...

5D3 mit 500mm.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Here is my EF 500mm f/4.5 L USM which contains fluorite glass: made in 1995, survived several crashs, sandstorms, salt water spray, heavy rain - and still works flawlessly...

View attachment 199641
That's all fine, but you cannot use it in full sun or the fluorite will crack, or so Nikon implied. But then they went and put fluorite into their black-painted lenses. And tout it's benefits. Gotta love marketeers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Good for Nikon. Reaching the bar set by the R5.
Do you mean the 45mp bar? I’m an R5 user and like many things about it. But, I suspect for most users the Z9’s stacked sensor, blackout free EVF, FPS, and GPS are likely to have a far greater impact on user experience. All of which raise the bar past the R5.

Upvote 0
The Canon 800 f/11 is no abomination. It is an excellent lens with awesome AF performance and much less restrictive then you might think given it is f/11. Given the price point, compactness, and very low weight; it is an awesome offering from Canon.
Nice shot. Seems like one really useful application of BIF when light is plentiful and needed SS is still attainable at f11. Agree with your comment. I don’t own either lens but most reviews are quite positive and comment on the merits you mentioned.

Upvote 0
Pleases me.
I was uncertain about this initially before buying the R5. What I realized is that there are very few times in my shooting the speed of CFB actually seems necessary. But I have several times filled my CFB card and been grateful to have a handful of SD UHSii cards lying around that are perfectly fast, relatively cheap by comparison, and easily available. So I’m not reliant on a super high priced backup card, which has been helpful. I’m sure some would like the high speed redundancy for writing to both cards simultaneously and I can definitely appreciate where that could be missed. For my purposes, I’ve found the SD alternate to work quite well and be affordable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hmmm....Guess MP isn't important to landscape, portrait, wildlife, or travel photographers. Sony bundled a camera with excellent weather sealing, 50 MP, 30 FPS, super AF, fantastic ISO performance, big buffer etc. Wish I had such a "toy"......but that stuff is for spec lovers, not photographers. lol
Agree here. I switched from Sony to Canon a few months ago for a variety of reasons but was generally pretty pleased with many aspects of Sony’s cameras and lenses. The A1 is a very nice camera that I had a chance to use for a bit. Perhaps missing an integrated grip but the lack of such hasn’t seemed to hamper Sony’s rise in the mirrorless space. It certainly appears that Sony’s innovating has really pushed Canon and Nikon forward in this market. Calling their cameras “toys” comes off as fanboyish and a bit naive.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Or just do what Sony did for the A7SIII and A1 and offer dual hybrid card slots. 1 side of each slot takes SD cards, the other side takes CF express type A.

Canon could do the same and offer SD and CFX type B hybrid slots.
Yes this was a nice compromise. Not the fastest CF cards but they are certain a bit bump from SD and having dual options is a smart move for a variety of reasons.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Agree here. I switched from Sony to Canon a few months ago for a variety of reasons but was generally pretty pleased with many aspects of Sony’s cameras and lenses. The A1 is a very nice camera that I had a chance to use for a bit. Perhaps missing an integrated grip but the lack of such hasn’t seemed to hamper Sony’s rise in the mirrorless space. It certainly appears that Sony’s innovating has really pushed Canon and Nikon forward in this market. Calling their cameras “toys” comes off as fanboyish and a bit naive.
Sony cameras on the level of the a7RIV, a9II, and a1 are not toys! I have shot all three extensively along side my Canon R5s and they have a lot to offer to many photographers. The R3 should be on the level of the a9II and hopefully better it in several ways. The R1 needs to be a 45-60mp, high fps camera to match and hopefully better the a1 and Z9. I just cannot fathom Canon bringing out the R1 at 20ish mp and thus having two 20ish mp, high fps camera's. That would make no sense at all to me. One, of either the R3 and R1, needs to be higher mp. Folks say Canon does not have to "compete" with Sony and Nikon. They can do what their research says is best to pursue. This of course is true. But, concomitant to this, Canon does have to compete with Sony and Nikon given Sony and Nikon, by definition, are Canon's competitors.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Folks say Canon does not have to "compete" with Sony and Nikon. They can do what their research says is best to pursue. This of course is true. But, concomitant to this, Canon does have to compete with Sony and Nikon given Sony and Nikon, by definition, are Canon's competitors.
When people say, “Canon has to compete with SoNikon,” that’s usually code for ‘Canon should offer feature x or specification y’ because the person making the statement personally wants x or y in their next Canon camera. People always think they are Canon’s market, often in spite of ample evidence to the contrary.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
The Sony A1 is aimed at more sectors of the market than just sports shooters. It has the speed for wildlife, the resolution for landscapes, the IQ for portraits, the video features for film making and yet its still fairly small and light enough for the street and weddings.

The R3 will be a great camera but for silent shooting at weddings/events I’m sure many would prefer a smaller and lighter kit.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
That's all fine, but you cannot use it in full sun or the fluorite will crack, or so Nikon implied. But then they went and put fluorite into their black-painted lenses. And tout it's benefits. Gotta love marketeers.
Well, Eduard Louis Bernays, the later pioneer of PR, worked in WW I as an expert of "psychological warfare", as he put it. Nikon marketing seems to have learned from him. I guess they had in the 90s a real problem because Canon was too innovative in lens design, their own original field when Canon made the Leica copies and Nikon the lenses. Today, Nikon still is behind, if one takes the DO tech as a measure. Canon has improved their EF 400mm f/4 DO II much, and Nikon came much later with their small 300mm f/4 - and they had trouble with decentered lenses:

Upvote 0