The Unthinkable: Swapped out 5D3 for 6D

So over the Thanksgiving weekend, I finally gathered the nerve to just let go of my 5D3 as I was offered a fair price for it. That, in conjunction with the deal for the 6D at $1400 pushed me into pulling the trigger on the swap out. Done and done.

Some things I'm struggling with, some not so much. Either way, I think the decision was the right one for me (for now).

Wondering if anyone else has given the same move some thought.

U-Type said:
What was your reason for switching?

Since I purchased my Fuji x100s, I have been using it about 90% of the time I need a camera (mostly because I always have it with me). When I first got my hands on the Fuji, I went for two whole weeks without touching my 5D3. So it was a lot of money just sitting on the shelf. Problem is, I still have a lot invested in EF glass that I want to continue using when I need them.

I don't shoot sports or super dynamic action scenes (very often) and figured the body switch would put a little over a grand back in my pocket. After assessing all the different things I shoot, IQ, and what I actually need the Canon system for, I realized that I just couldn't justify having the 5D3 since the 6D offered me enough to get the job done at a reduced cost.

Things I miss the most are CF slot and AF system from the 5D3. I recognize that moving up from one of the crop bodies (minus the 7D) or 5D2, the AF of the 6D will seem perfectly acceptable if not good. However, moving backwards from the 5D3 AF system, it leaves much to be desired. That being said, I am still able to get the job done with what the 6D has to offer.

Also, I have been selling things here and there and trying to build up a fund to purchase something else. My hope is that Canon puts outs a body aimed at absolute IQ like some are speculating they are working on which is what my piggy bank will be broken for. My interest is also piqued by the rumors of an interchangeable lens full frame Fuji in the works. The possibility of both of those things has led me to want to recoup as much cheese as reasonably possible into the camera fund in preparation.

At the core though, the simple explanation is that I was able to take a long hard look at what my needs are, realized I don't absolutely need the 5D3 and took the opportunity to put some money back in my pocket as the 6D is capable enough for my needs (and most importantly provides the same IQ).

Upvote 0
I'm looking at doing just the opposite. I got a good deal on a Canon refurb 6D at $1,400 USD so I pulled the trigger, but I am seriously considering selling it and moving up to a 5DIII.

The 6D is great, but after having a 7D (still have) for 3 years I have a hard time getting adjusted to the AF system on th 6D. I have ended up using the center point and reframing most of the time, because the outer points don't seem to provide coverage or struggle in lower light.

I thought I would be fine with the AF system on the 6D, and although I can get by on it, I really do miss the 7D AF system.

Upvote 0
I actually did the same thing and I have not looked back. If you don't need the AF for tracking objects, the 6D is actually a better camera than the 5D3. They are genuine uses for the Wifi, GPS, replaceable screen features of the 6D; and I swear the files the files coming from the 6D are also better; they are slightly cleaner and the shadows react better when pushed in post. I also prefer the smaller size of the camera; it's smaller and lighter but the grip size remains the same as the 5D3.

I like the fact that it is a simpler camera with less buttons on the back. It took me just a day to learn each button on the back by feel. The 5D3 had a cluster of buttons for superfluous functions such as rating photos. Finally for reasons that I can't understand, I get more accurate focus confirmation using my 6D with manual lenses that are chipped; I have gotten so confident in the AF confirmation that I don't feel the need to chimp every shot using a manual lens.

To be honest the only thing I miss about the 5D3, are that the focus points more spread out than the 6D; but I have mostly been able to work around this.

Below is an example of what I mean when I'm talking about pushing shadows. This type of shot would have produced a lot of banding in the black skin tone on a 5D2 and the 5D3 would have handled it slightly worse than the 6D.

Upvote 0
I definitely miss the 5D3 AF. Not having the additional points has been somewhat of a thorn in my side. However, as stated before, it isn't the end of the world for me as I just have to get better with the 11 points.

As Arize stated, I have noticed the same thing regarding the files in post as far as shadow pushing goes.

Now that I have gone small with the Fuji as my primary, I definitely also appreciate the smaller/lighter form factor of the 6D (albeit not a huge difference).

I don't care for the wifi functionality as I was using the Camranger on the 5D3 before which was much much better and more feature rich than the OEM wifi features. I also don't use GPS so that is a wash.

Overall though, the image quality is quite good and seemingly better in some instances which is enough for me to consider it a good move for the time being.

One other thing to note about my reasoning. I felt like 1-1.5 years from now, it would be easier for me to get rid of the 6D at a smaller loss (and more quickly) if I do decide to get whatever the new FF body from Canon is.

Some samples so far. Sizes were reduced significantly from sending them on my phone. My apologies for the low res.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 6,228
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    658.4 KB · Views: 6,236
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6,215
Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
Dylan777 said:
I hope is a right decision JohnDizzo ;)

As much as I enjoy X100s, I'm still looking at A7 + Zeiss FE 35mm and/or 55mm as my general camera due to FF.

Have you looked into Sony A7 options for speedlite, wireless trigger (both manual and TTL), and studio strobe/strobist accessories? The options seem awfully restricted, and the latest Sony top-of-line speedlite Sony HVL F60M is reported often to have serious overheat issues.

Looking at my large collection of Canon-compatible speedlites/triggers/accessories and countless other options out there, this is the main thing that gives me pause when thinking about going the Sony A7/r route myself :(

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:

As much as I enjoy X100s, I'm still looking at A7 + Zeiss FE 35mm and/or 55mm as my general camera due to FF.

Will wait out little for Rumor FF X series in 2014 ::)

Me too. For now, it seems like the right call. It gives me as much as I need out of any available canon body at the moment. I can deal with the AF and some of the other quirks. With this swap + selling a few lenses recently, my fund is already nearing 3k. Will be ready when the time comes.

I would love to just have one of the Sony bodies right now. But it doesn't make sense for what I need. When I want small, I still think the Fuji is king. The Sony may give me more res, but that's where the advantage stops. More res and dr for me doesn't equate to getting better shots. The Fuji is smaller, ovf/evf, has leaf shutter, and built in nd. Those four things alone make it better for my needs already. The Sony may be smaller than a dslr. But with a fast lens on it (which I would want), it is no longer all that small. If I go big, I'm going with a dslr for faster AF, and compatibility with all my existing lighting equipment.

These days, my philosophy is either go small (truly), or go big and don't worry about size at all. That being said though, if for some miraculous reason I can get either one of the Sony's at a large discount, I would still consider it. Lol

Upvote 0
drjlo said:
Dylan777 said:

Have you looked into Sony A7 options for speedlite, wireless trigger (both manual and TTL), and studio strobe/strobist accessories? The options seem awfully restricted, and the latest Sony top-of-line speedlite Sony HVL F60M is reported often to have serious overheat issues.

Looking at my large collection of Canon-compatible speedlites/triggers/accessories and countless other options out there, this is the main thing that gives me pause when thinking about going the Sony A7/r route myself :(

+1 I use speedlites and radio triggers a lot.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
drjlo said:
Dylan777 said:

If you look at my signature, I doubt you will see any flashes. I like primes, therefore, A7 fits me better. I'm waiting for Zeiss 55mm to be avaiable at local Sony store, so I can hand-on it. If the combo works out as I planned, half of Canon will be gone.

I'm slowly switching over FF mirrorless due to body size. Will keep the monster 300mm + 70-200 + 135L around with 5D III ;)

Upvote 0
JohnDizzo15 said:
drjlo said:
Dylan777 said:

Metz / Nissin / Phottix / Yongnuo speedlights are now so good that they actually outperform Canon/Nikon speedlight systems per dollar and in most cases outright. The new Yongnuo 600EX is going to be the Sigma 35 1.4 of speedlights - cheaper and better than the Canon equivalent. The best speedlight on the market today is the Mecablitz 58 AF-2, which is available in a native Sony configuration. So from a strobist perspective, there's no reason to avoid the A7/7r.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
JohnDizzo15 said:
So over the Thanksgiving weekend, I finally gathered the nerve to just let go of my 5D3 as I was offered a fair price for it. That, in conjunction with the deal for the 6D at $1400 pushed me into pulling the trigger on the swap out. Done and done.

Some things I'm struggling with, some not so much. Either way, I think the decision was the right one for me (for now).

Bravo! I took a less costly route and just bought the 6D to begin with, having tried my cousin's 5D3 a few times.

John, just keep in mind, that in the eyes of the 5D3 lovers, you are no longer a serious photographer. You have taken a step down in your photographic station in life!

Upvote 0
LostArk said:
JohnDizzo15 said:
drjlo said:
Dylan777 said:

Metz / Nissin / Phottix / Yongnuo speedlights are now so good that they actually outperform Canon/Nikon speedlight systems per dollar and in most cases outright. The new Yongnuo 600EX is going to be the Sigma 35 1.4 of speedlights - cheaper and better than the Canon equivalent. The best speedlight on the market today is the Mecablitz 58 AF-2, which is available in a native Sony configuration. So from a strobist perspective, there's no reason to avoid the A7/7r.

Amendment. Compatibility with the lighting equipment I already own. :)

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
JohnDizzo15 said:

Bravo! I took a less costly route and just bought the 6D to begin with, having tried my cousin's 5D3 a few times.

John, just keep in mind, that in the eyes of the 5D3 lovers, you are no longer a serious photographer. You have taken a step down in your photographic station in life!

That's never meant much to me one way or the other. What matters to me is being able to make the images I want the way I want them (and more easily when possible).

I will miss the 5D3, but the 6D is enough to get it done for the time being. One of the big motivations for this swap is to have more money ready in prep for canon's next potentially high end full frame offering.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
drjlo said:
Dylan777 said:

If you look at my signature, I doubt you will see any flashes. I like primes, therefore, A7 fits me better. I'm waiting for Zeiss 55mm to be avaiable at local Sony store, so I can hand-on it. If the combo works out as I planned, half of Canon will be gone.

I'm slowly switching over FF mirrorless due to body size. Will keep the monster 300mm + 70-200 + 135L around with 5D III ;)

I would be all for this same strategy except for the fact that the evf and af speed are still not where I need it to be on mirror less for me to do so. If only I had deeper pockets like yours Dylan, I would sport the Fuji for small, the canon for tele, and pick up the Sony for a trial run.

Can't wait for you to get your a7/z55 combo so I can hear of your findings and see some images.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Similar experience here. I used to own the 5D3 and Oly EM5. After 9 to 12 months of usage, I came to the following conclusions: (a) as much as the 5D3 AF impressed me, the camera was too heavy for me (b) even though the EM5 gave me some great images, I totally hated the EVF and ergonomics.

So, I dumped both cameras and replaced them with 6D and 70D. Couldn't be happier. Really enjoying my cameras again. I plan to use both cameras for the next 5 years at least. Will invest more in lenses. Hoping to see 50 f/1.8 IS and 16-50 f/4 IS from Canon soon.

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
JohnDizzo15 said:

I haven't done exactly what you have done BUT I had the chance to shoot with a 5D3 for the day and now that I have, I won't buy one. I will keep my 7D.

The 5D3 is a great camera but not worth (at least to me) the $3400 price tag. After reading people's thoughts and reviews I was expecting a powerhouse of a camera, and it really wasn't. I just couldn't justify spending the money on it to upgrade. The 7D is a VERY fast camera and very hard to beat in that department. I shot BIF (birds, raptors exactly, in flight) with the 5D3 and got 10 times more blurry bird shots than I did with my 7D! (Yes I KNOW how to set up my camera for birds in flight, I am NOT new to this! Please don't waste your time telling me how I didn't know what I was doing... I always select the center point on AF and use AI Servo...) I was also using my own EF 70-300L on the 5D3. That lens is lighting fast on AF, so I know the fault wasn't with the lens.

I know a few people will say that I didn't give the 5D3 a chance to give it an honest opinion. Well, let me say this, I had (on loan) the 5D3 for a day and took well over 1000 photos AND was shooting with friends who OWNED the 5D3 and I was asking questions and they were gladly giving me pointers. By the time the day was over, I was so frustrated after shooting with it for a day and getting missed shot after missed shot. In contrast, when I upgraded from my 40D to my 7D, the transition was almost seamless. I had the 7D mostly figured out in just a few shots and was very happy with my decision. It was so much faster (in AF and fps) than my 40D that I was sorry I hadn't upgraded sooner! I learn more and more about it the more I shoot. Honestly? I had really been wanting a 5D3 so I know I was excited to give it a try. It just did not deliver enough goods to make me want to give up my 7D.

A few of my photography friends who upgraded to the 5D3 say that most of the time 5D2 did just as good of a job and in some cases the 5D2 was better.

I spoke with a good photography friend of mine after I used the 5D3 and told him that I still preferred my 7D over it. Before I tell you what he said, let me say that my friend Kenny is a published and very respected photographer and has owned and/or shot with just about every camera body Canon has ever made, including the 1DX and the 5D3, for starters. He has many friends at Canon and I have learned to respect his words of wisdom. He said to me, "Well, what did you expect? The 7D was designed for speed and the 5D3 was designed mainly for studio work and weddings like the 5D2 was. The 5D3 is a little faster and has better video than the 5D2 but it wasn't designed around speed. You shoot wildlife so the 7D is going to be perfect for that at a fraction of the cost!"

I couldn't argue with him...

The 5D3 may be a very fast full frame, but not as fast as the 7D. But again, that is my opinion. I used to own the 5D2 and let the ex-wife have it in the divorce, I wasn't super impressed with it either, outside of it's image quality. I shoot wildlife and the 7D is perfect for that. :)

So, I respect your decision to sell the 5D3 and get the 6D. I probably would have done the same.

D

Upvote 0
JohnDizzo15 said:

Yeah... Unthinkable... ;D Rented 5D3 for 1 day just to know if I'm choosing the right camera, I'd say that for around 90% of what I shoot, I find the 6D adequate enough. My only problem with the 6D is it's AF is a slower and I tend to crop more when I shoot moving subjects since I can't almost trust the outer points. The center point is good enough. Another gripe that I have is the maximum flash sync is only 1/180. I was hoping for a faster flash sync.

Here's a shot at around ISO 800 and was pleasantly surprised on the absence of noise (well, almost) even at 100%. Taken with 100mm macro USM non-L.

11199564776_5ace0f16f2_c.jpg

Upvote 0
@Jason - Definitely agree with you on your points about AF differences. I do realize the limitations relative to the 5D3. However, that is where the importance of self-assessment lies. I took a long, careful look at how often I was actually shooting in situations where I was tracking moving subjects and it was hardly ever. Most of the time, I am able to simply get away with following subjects on my own based on my shooting habits.

I looked at the 6D not from the standpoint of being a superior/inferior tool when compared to the 5D3, but as a different tool with different things to offer. There are obviously pros and cons to both tools with the 5D3 offering some things that I definitely will miss. However, at this point in my photog life, I just don't need those differences to accomplish what I need to accomplish. With that in mind, I set out to take back $1100 into the fund and still have a very capable Canon body to do what I need to do. And when the time comes, I will be back on the horse for the next pro level ff body (assuming it will provide a marked increase in IQ relative to the current ff offerings).

Also, to detail the financial aspect of the decision. Based on the locale I'm in and the used gear CL market, I will be able to sell the 6D much more quickly simply due to the price range when the time does come to get a different updated body. For now though, suffice to say that I would rather have the money piled up in waiting and a 6D that will serve me well enough for my needs.

Also, re the flash sync speed. The 5D3 is not any better at 1/200 which is nothing in real world usage relative to 1/180. That is definitely something that I took note of as well. However, If I ever need anything in that range or above, I'm using HSS anyway so it was a wash in my view.

Upvote 0