The upcomming Dead of EOS DSLR / EF-line

So Canon came out with the M, and the Rebel lines continued..... They are different cameras for a different set of users, with a bit of overlap for those who have both.... They are two different markets, Canon does not have to choose between being in one or the other, they are in both.....

So now we have a FullFrame M..... what is different? There is a market for both, with a bit of overlap, and rather than choosing to be in one market or the other, Canon has chosen to be both...

THIS!

Upvote 0
So Canon came out with the M, and the Rebel lines continued..... They are different cameras for a different set of users, with a bit of overlap for those who have both.... They are two different markets, Canon does not have to choose between being in one or the other, they are in both.....

So now we have a FullFrame M..... what is different? There is a market for both, with a bit of overlap, and rather than choosing to be in one market or the other, Canon has chosen to be both...

We got rid of the wife's rebel and bought her an M. Lighter, smaller and the IQ is better than her Rebel.
I am sure that Canon will offer some enticing lenses so that I will be compelled to change my landscape and walk around body for an R.
The migration seems to be headed that way.

At some point in the future Canon will choose to not be in all four markets, and this will be when it is not profitable.
It will not be this decade.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Actually, Fullstop's guide isn't that bad. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a consolidation that isn't captured, such as a merging of the 5D/6D line or getting the Rebel line down to 1-3 bodies. In otherwords, fewer bodies going forward after the "Gen +1" but not "fade to black"...

But this is like predicting we are all going to die. It is true, we will all die...but hopefully not anytime soon.

Let's wait for some reviews. Let's wait to see gradations of the R (R1, R5, etc) and about 20-30 RF lenses.

Oh, and let's really wait to see a R camera body that is actually better than my 5DIV in terms of AF speed, FPS, weather sealing, etc.

Upvote 0
Hehe, if you mean the decade 2010-2019 ... I agree. I you mean 2018-2027 or 2020 to 2019 ... then LOL. :)

btw: quite possibly the "final" new EF-S lens has already been launched. :)

I will let you know in 2027 which I mean.:)

I do not agree, even if Canon believes the EF-S lens line is coming to an end they can put out minor changes just to entice the last few buyers.
If they see a way that capitalizes on a dying market they will take it.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
ok, slightly adjusted version of my expectations.

dwq8gscdeqira2y6h.png

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
ok, slightly adjusted version of my expectations...

You might be fairly close in your predictions, although I think you might be wrong about the SL-2. I think that line has more potential than most of the other Rebels. After another generation of the major lines (5D, 7D, 1Dx) Mirrorless technology may have improved sufficiently to match the quality of these bodies, at that point, they will probably transition to models that look and behave very much like the existing DSLRs, but don't have a mirror.

The big question will be how Canon handles the lens transition (if there is one). If the new lenses can be seamlessly adapted to fit existing DSLRs and the adapters for EF lenses work flawlessly then Canon can gradually stop releasing new versions of EF lenses and no one will really care.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
TEXTBOOK classic business communications for: "heres why were screwing our customers, will be forcing you into new purchases into the future and why you will like it.

That's an odd opinion. I don't think creating a new line and saying they are doing it for greater freedom in lens design and to utilize new tech is screwing customers. Who's been screwed? I have what I have and it still works fine. I don't believe adding an adapter (12mm thicknes? Not sure) will impact image quality or performance. That distance is already there with a DSLR. So where is the screwing taking place?

Lots of people have to take a terribly negative line of thinking. I don't believe anyone gets screwed here except the people who choose to believe they are being screwed... which, come to think of it, might actually just be wishful thinking. Maybe not negative after all! Just hopeful! ;)

BTW: Nobody is "forced" into buying anything. My 70-200 is 5 years old. It still works fine. I won't be "forced" to buy new for many years to come. Same with my camera body. Even then, it won't be "forced".

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
When you read the Canon white paper, its pretty evident that they believe that the RF lenses are superior to EF, and hope that they catch on. I certainly expect to see several more RF lenses come out next year, apparently, they are telling the reviewers at DPR to expect more next year. Just the fact that they are putting out lenses in the $2K - $3K price range tells me that a higher level camera or cameras are on the way, and possibly some RF big white lenses that will be announced when they introduce a top of the line mirrorless.

It all depends on sales volumes.

With all the gear-heads and MTF chart readers around here, I expect the RF line of lenses will be a cause for celebration. People seem to be constantly selling previous versions of gear and buying the latest. I don't think this whole thing will be as painful as some people think. I don't think it will be painful at all for the serial up graders. Just a new adventure!

I don't believe I will be moving to RF anytime soon, but I am happy for those who want it. I think this is all very exciting.

I'm with you, I think a high end version is coming and can't wait to see it, but what I have is still far better than I am. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I started a thread about this over in the lens forum with my full thoughts on it. But I've suddenly realized, for lenses that do not benefit from the shorter flange distance of the RF mount, like pretty much any telephoto lens, you have to ask yourself, what does Canon even gain by moving them over to the RF mount, aside from pissing off DSLR owners?

The mount diameter is no bigger, there are a couple extra electrical contacts (big deal.)

Honestly, I forsee Canon continuing to make EF lenses for the foreseeable future, unless it's a lens that could benefit from the shorter flange distance, in which case they'll make it an RF and take advantage of that.

After all, you just toss an adapter on the back of any EF lens, and viola, it's now an RF lens. So why even bother changing the mount on a lens that doesn't get an optical benefit from doing so. People will complain that you need an adapter, but I suspect that this might be a lot smaller of an issue for Canon than it seems to be for us because they know that the adapter will work flawlessly and it's not just some iffy, stopgap solution the way that Canon to Sony adapters are.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
I started a thread about this over in the lens forum with my full thoughts on it. But I've suddenly realized, for lenses that do not benefit from the shorter flange distance of the RF mount, like pretty much any telephoto lens, you have to ask yourself, what does Canon even gain by moving them over to the RF mount, aside from pissing off DSLR owners?

The mount diameter is no bigger, there are a couple extra electrical contacts (big deal.)
After all, you just toss an adapter on the back of any EF lens, and viola, it's now an RF lens. So why even bother changing the mount on a lens that doesn't get an optical benefit from doing so.

no, no, no. :)

there is a good reason for those extra contact pins and (gyro-) sensors and ASICs and firmware In RF lenses. and Canon will make good use of them. it gives RF lenses capabilities way beyond EF lenses. Some come immediately to bear - eg the enhanced IS performance, others may only be implemented later on.

yes, EF glass will work fine with the RF adapters, but it is "legacy" on EOS R and will never be equal to native RF lenses.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Sure. I mean, it's not like DLSRs comprise the majority of the ILC market. Oh, wait...

Exactly. Mirrorless hype is driven in part by the fact that people don't bother to look at CIPA sales data. DSLRs out sell MILCs by a very wide margin.

I'm curious to see the impact of all the new MILC bodies being announced. But my guess is that we are still many years away from "the end of the DSLR", and in fact still years away from majority MILC sales globally.

As for me, Canon could have sold me an R if they had just included decent video specs. An R with solid video could have filled the roll of backup stills camera AND video camera using my Canon glass and offering me familiar ergonomics, color science, etc.

Take away the video and I'm left scratching my head as to why I should care about mirrorless. I'll just get another DSLR for backup stills.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
EVFs still visually suck compared to OVF.

In your opinion. Which is not shared by those who enjoy the WYSIWYG nature of EVFs. In fact, the only reason I now own mirrorless instead of DSLRs is the WYSIWYG ability of the EVF. Don't care about focus peaking, or more FPS, or silent shutter or any of the other things mirrorless may bring. Not saying EVFs are perfect - in some sunny conditions they are much harder to use than an OVF - but like most things, there are pluses and minuses.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
Actually I think a lot of us enthusiasts change gear more than many pros...pro means you make a living with your camera, and the pros I know often keep using older (not ancient) gear longer than I do because it works well, causes no problems and still makes then money...you still see a lot of 5d3 and even 5d2’s shooting weddings.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
In your opinion. Which is not shared by those who enjoy the WYSIWYG nature of EVFs.

The only way in which they are more WYSIWYG than OVF is exposure preview. I was very impressed with this back when my DSLR was a 7D. The 7D's meter was always a bit erratic which led to chimping and reshooting with EV comp. So my first few sessions with a mirrorless impressed me in that respect. It's very natural to work in full manual exposure and just turn a dial to set exposure with a live preview.

The 5Ds meter is uncanny in its accuracy and stability. I imagine any Canon DSLR with a newer mini-image-sensor meter is the same. That renders exposure preview almost inconsequential to me. Take that way and it's hard to beat reality, i.e. light bouncing off a mirror.

I'm not saying EVFs are unusable, nor am I saying that they will never match OVF for sheer IQ. But they have a ways to go yet.

Upvote 0