There is an APS-C RF mount camera coming [CR3]

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
FF crop does nothing other than throw away pixels. It doesn't add any 'reach'.

You say "throw away pixels", I say "allows me to buy cheaper lenses that get to supertele, without extenders that add cost and rob light, without photoshop". I love full frame and mostly shoot wide, but if I was a birder who liked to travel, a crop R5 with the RF 100 - 500mm would give me a 2-piece setup that gets to 800mm effective and fits in a backpack, with usable files straight off the camera. That's never been done before.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
Yeahhh buddyyy. Watch out birds.

Some hopeful specs:
Joystick
~10fps still shooting
30mp sensor, like the one in the 90D/M6 II
At least one UHS-II slot, or one CFexpress slot
Video: don't care, but it will probably have at least 4k 30p
USB-C charging while shooting
Flippy, rather than tilty-flippy screen. It's way quicker for low shots and subjects that are in motion
Tight weather sealing. I wanna be able to shoot birds with God's natural softbox in the rain
IBIS: I don't care too much, but it will probably have it
An Olympus Pro Capture-like feature

I expect to pay ~$2k or a little more for this

agreed.
actually M6 ii is pretty good at tracking but lacking evf is really a let down.
90D in live view is also good at tracking but using LCD to track fast moving subject is not comfortable at all
to be honest i like canon releasing R7 with its EF-M mount conterpart (M5 ii maybe? & yes i dont want EOS M line to be dead ) at the same time
just like 90D & M6 ii style.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I don't get it. The RP is a grand, and by that point next year, achievable for less. If you go APSC, what's the point of RF glass? Why would someone drop (let's say) 600 bucks on an APSC body that shoots faster than an RP, but then have to shell out for the expensive RF glass? What am I missing?

7D owners mostly use FF glass anyway. Yes, RF glass is even pricier than EF glass (for now at least) but EF compatibility is there. And, if Canon plays their cards right, they could potentially release moderately inexpensive mid-tier RF glass that has great center resolution but the corners have CA/vignetting/distortion/require builtin correction. Already released lenses show they're prepared to do just that. On a crop body what happens in FF corners is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
:giggle:
Without lenses?
True! For me whole thing doesn't make sense with the current line up.
Incidentally I was one that didn't think an aps-c R would ever happen. Aps-c was always really about price, my understanding is that price difference is much smaller now, those 600 & 800 lenses seemed to me to be an indicator, so what do I know! :LOL:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
If Canon plays their cards right,

7D owners mostly use FF glass anyway. Yes, RF glass is even pricier than EF glass (for now at least) but EF compatibility is there. And, if Canon plays their cards right, they could potentially release moderately inexpensive mid-tier RF glass that has great center resolution but the corners have CA/vignetting/distortion/require builtin correction. Already released lenses show they're prepared to do just that. On a crop body what happens in FF corners is irrelevant.
Yes but why a smaller and therefore poorer handling body what is this obsession with teeny weeny :cry:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
As I am exited for the C70 I'm more interested in solid APS-C glass that fit the cinema line with AF. So they should be of solid quality, and somewhat bright. Not just "entry level" lenses for those that don't want to shell out for the FF RF lenses. Something competing with the Sigma 18-35 1.8 or along those lines.

Upvote 0
An APS-C sensor R camera would be great for bird photographers, especially if it is a high megapixel sensor like the 32 megapixel sensor in the 90D and the M6 Mk II. My best resolution combination for photographing small birds is the 600mm f4 Mk II with the 1.4x III and the M6 Mk II+EVF. Even with that focal length (840mm) plus the 1.6x sensor crop factor (takes it to 1,344mm equivalent), I typically still have to crop 50% or more of the image on small birds like lesser goldfinches (4.5 inch body length) even at a relatively close range of about 25 feet or so. That little 32 Mega pix sensor produces great results – high resolution and relatively low noise (ISO 1600 is very useable) - even when cropped 50%. That sensor extrapolated out to full frame size would be about 84 mega pix, a camera that doesn’t exist (yet) and if it did would probably cost upwards of US$4,000. The M6 Mk II has limitations that hopefully an R body would overcome: 1) it suffers from shutter shock with long lenses, so the electronic shutter has to be used to avoid that, 2) when the electronic shutter is used, only single frame drive mode can be used, no multi frames per second, 3) AF performance could do with improvement, 4) IBIS and finally, 5) the M6 II camera is physically small for a good grip with big lenses. An R-sized body with a vertical grip added would be a much better fit. By the way, I chose the M6 II over the 90D to avoid having to do focus micro calibration, a blessing that comes with mirrorless cameras. Perfect focus is especially critical with long lenses.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Great news!! Hopefully to hear about some rumored specs soon.

Would love to have the following specs:
  • 1080 120P with DPAF
  • 4k 60p 10 bit with DPAF
  • IBIS
  • Flip screen

''but will pack a punch sports shooters and videographers" I hope this will be a R6 but APS-C version. High end APS-C please Canon, I am willing to pay for it :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hopefully this will more than just an after-thought... considering less than a year ago they went on the record saying this wasn't going to happen. Also, this is really going to break their line up, being they will now have a FF 7D Mark II and a Crop 7D Mark II RF camera. So I'd assume the R and R6 are going to merge. Odd choices, but I do believe they'll sell cameras as there are a lot of people who love their crop bodies.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I have never doubted that Canon would launch an enthusiast APS-C camera with RF mount, sooner or later. And as someone who want a compact and affordable enthusiast camera(-system), I will for sure be buying such a "sports shooters" thing to replace or supplement my current 7DII.

It is a bit disappointing the rumor says no "RF-S" lenses are planned. I was hoping for the rumored (and patented) 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 lens, which sounds like a cool match for an "R7" type of camera (if it is an "enthusiast" but cheaper than L kind of lens). And I would love to replace f.ex. my walk-around EF-S 15-85mm and 10-22mm lenses with "RF optimized" versions either more compact with same range and quality, or better range/quality in similar size. A bit wider wideangle zoom would be really cool (9-20mm?). But I guess I can easily live with adapted EF-S lenses. And in the long run I still believe we will see APS-C lenses (and more APS-C cameras) for the RF mount.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder if that focal reducer they announced with the C70 will fit on here
It should, but a much more affordable focal reducer, not intended just for Canon Cinema line, should be announced to make Canon DSLR APS-C user move to Canon R mirrorless easier and more affordable, moreover Canon should also create an adapter that goes 2mm inside the RF mount and allow to adapt EOS-M glass to work with future EOS R APSC cameras, it's not that easy to go inside the lens mount, but it's not impossible for Canon as the EOS- M glass "fits" at least 2mm inside the EOS R mount, that will allow a smooth transition from both DSLR and mirrorles APS-C Canon photographers.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I don't get it. The RP is a grand, and by that point next year, achievable for less. If you go APSC, what's the point of RF glass? Why would someone drop (let's say) 600 bucks on an APSC body that shoots faster than an RP, but then have to shell out for the expensive RF glass? What am I missing?

Maybe you are missing that you can use EF(-S) glass too on an R-body?
And RP is not an enthusiast camera.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I will take my cropped 5dsr photos over my 7D efforts every time.

Looking at technical quality alone, you probably have a point.
But cameras are also about the tool. And I don't think 5DSR are optimal for every kind of photography.
(and of course, there's the price too)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
APS-C sensors are only giving you a "crop" of you FF lens' image circle, hence the "reach". Also, APS-C sensors are more pixel-dense than FF sensors, giving them more noise, all else equal... Meaning, you might be better off cropping from a FF sensor anyway.

A lot of people really misunderstand the relationship of pixel density vs noise in the final image. When you have higher pixel density it means you can down sample more for final delivery. When you down sample it shrinks the noise. In the final image how much noise you actually have is basically a wash between a high density sensor and a low density sensor all other factors being equal.

Over the last 6 years or so I standardized on crop glass as I could use it both for video and stills shooting with out having to do the math on the focal length every time I switched. The crop glass is a lot cheaper as well and I am not talking the cheap F4+ stuff. I have been facing having to sell all my glass and replace it with FF even though it wouldn't do a damn thing for me. A mirrorless 7D in an RF mount would be awesome sauce for me, and I don't give a damn whether any one understands why I want it or not.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0