There may be a higher-end APS-C mirrorless announced in late 2020, early 2021 [CR2]

The $64,000 question: will they follow suit with Nikon and Sony and make smaller/lighter/cheaper APS-C sized RF lenses to go with it?

If they don't, it's Canon's way of saying 'FINE. Here's your damn 7D3, you guys never stop asking for it!' but birders/wildlifers lose their mirrors.

If they do, yowza -- it would mark the beginning of the end for both EF-M *and EF-S* mount bodies.

- A
But, it would be epic to offer say a 200-600 zoom in a lightweight RF/APS-C size with L-quality build, and say f~8 largest aperture. I’m not sure if the market for such a lens is large enough for the investment, but imagine.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
They should do what Nikon did. Have a high performance APS-C body with RF mount and 2 or 3 basic lenses. And keep the M mount for the compactness, just add 1-2 lenses per year.
That should be enough for 90% of the customers.

...and it's a means to downsize/obsolete EF-S and EF-M someday if Canon should ever want to. Then everyone would be under one roof in RF -- without the painful 'migrating to FF means you can't use your crop lenses anymore' problem.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I kind of wonder what this means for EF APS-C. I figured Canon would continue that because it draws a lot of customers, but if APS-C on RF mount or in R body style becomes a thing, maybe Canon is considering a larger pivot to mirrorless. The EF-M transition pathway to RF is obviously much more clunky than EF-S to EF was, so there is reason to consider that path.

I think Canon may take a page from Nikon's book on crop and just make an RF mount crop platform -- lenses and APS-C R mount bodies -- to (eventually) get out of EF-S.

The low end of that line would need to be really cheap to replace what the entry Rebel line does for the business financially.

- A

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Wasn't there a rumor a while back about a new M-series camera placed above the M6II? Maybe this is it. Honestly the M6II is great in actual use. Two things missing that make it lackluster and unsuitable as a replacement for the 7DII - not the most robust build (don't mean size), and more importantly the lack of tracking options/cases to make it suitable for tough situations like BIF.
Naaah, the biggest problem with the M6 Mk II is that it's relatively slow and kludgy to adjust settings on the fly.

The main problem with BIFs is the EVF - it's not responsive enough. But the AF actually tracks pretty well, otherwise.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon painted themselves into a corner with the R mount and its lack of interchangeability with other mounts/formats. It will be interesting to see if and how they address this going forward. It seems like no matter what path they take, it carries a lot of risk at a time when a shrinking market is unforgiving.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I guess there could be an APS-C R7 in the pipeline and may be even R 10D 20D etc plus some new RF-S lenses.

I am looking forward to some new EOS M bodies too, that would give us lots to chat about on here but if all this is to come I think that might be the final nail in the coffin for the EOS DSLR line-up though, which some people might miss.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
They should do what Nikon did. Have a high performance APS-C body with RF mount and 2 or 3 basic lenses. And keep the M mount for the compactness, just add 1-2 lenses per year.
That should be enough for 90% of the customers.

The problem Canon have is that they have two incompatible lens mounts, EF-M for APS-S and R for Full-frame. Sony use a single mount for both as do Nikon now.

EF-M is a big seller for Canon, so no chance they'll abandon it now.

I don't think the 7D crowd will be happy with an EF-M mount camera now, they will want the new RF long lenses.

I can't see Canon releasing any APS-C only R lenses though. The 18-45 lens will probably be FF capable, but just with reduced quality towards the (FF) edges.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
I don't think the 7D crowd will be happy with an EF-M mount camera now, they will want the new RF long lenses.
Wouldn't bet on it. We've generally got lots of big expensive "legacy mount" lenses that we want to keep using. My 500mm f/4 Mk II didn't stop working when the RF mount came out...

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Wouldn't bet on it. We've generally got lots of big expensive "legacy mount" lenses that we want to keep using. My 500mm f/4 Mk II didn't stop working when the RF mount came out...

I'm not counting EF lenses because they work on both EF-M and R mounts. But if you had to choose between available lens options for the EF-M mount and the RF mount, the RF mount has the new lightweight long lenses.

Having said that, the EF-M mount has lightweight and high quality primes such as the 22mm, 28mm macro and 35mm along with the super 11-22mm ultrawide, so if Canon were to produce an upmarket EF-M body and perhaps the new 100-400 f/5.5-7.1 as an EF-M lens for those wanting lighter zooms.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Having said that, the EF-M mount has lightweight and high quality primes such as the 22mm, 28mm macro and 35mm along with the super 11-22mm ultrawide, so if Canon were to produce an upmarket EF-M body and perhaps the new 100-400 f/5.5-7.1 as an EF-M lens for those wanting lighter zooms.

Forgot to add that if Canon were to do a 'serious' EF-M mount camera they'd also need a new EF-M->EF adaptor with weather sealing.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
If they are doing this, why not give it the R5 body and weather sealing. Forgive me is I am mistaken, but a high end APS-C body would mostly be for wildlife guys with a 100-500mm lens permanently attached and having a wee wade through a humid environment or even a swamp.

I would be happy taking a 7dII or 1D body into the wild, but one with (in Canon's words suggesting inferior) 6 series weather/environmental sealing.

lmao anything with r5 body and weather sealing would be r5 priced.

• Haha
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
There's no need for a new mount, but an RF to M adapter would be cool.
Is there any reason that a RF lens couldn't work on an M body if there was an appropriate adapter?

A simple adapter without glass is hardly possible. The difference of the flange distances is only 2 mm. I think the bajonette part of the RF lens would conflict with the more narrow opening of the M body.

Upvote 0