There Will Be a New EOS M Camera Coming in 2016 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Lost in the madness that is all the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/confirmation-of-upcoming-product-announcements/">new products over the next couple of weeks</a> is the EOS M. There will not be any EOS M announcements for Photokina, which I think is totally understandable. Nothing in the Canon lineup brings about as much hype as a new EOS 5D body.</p>
<p>The good news is that we will see a new EOS M camera and a lens announced in 2016. I suspect we’ll see it before CES 2017 which starts on January 5, 2017 in Las Vegas.</p>
<p><strong>What we know about the coming EOS M:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>It will be a replacement to the EOS M3, but it won’t be called “M4”. Say hello to the M5.</li>
<li>It will go slightly up market from the EOS M3.</li>
<li>It will be APS-C.</li>
<li>A new lens will be announced alongside it, an EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS is a good bet.</li>
<li>We cannot confirm DPAF or 4K.</li>
</ul>
<p>That’s all for now, but expect to hear some more over the coming weeks.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jul 21, 2010
Re: There Will Be a New EOS M Camera Coming in 2016

No built-in EVF? Not full frame? Stupid Canon... ;)

Seriously, though...makes perfect sense in the context of the market. Hopefully 'slightly upmarket' means a return to the EOS firmware base of the M/M2 vs. the PowerShot firmware base of the M3/M10. Superzoom lens makes sense. Would expect DPAF (without DP RAW), probably not 4K.

People should keep in mind that the target demographic for the M line is mainly Asia, and Canon is now #3 in MILC sales in that market. IIRC, they stated they were aiming for #2 this year, but it seems they'll miss that mark.

Upvote 0

A big range zoom like this will probably be at least 500g. Camera itself is probably about 350-450g. The whole package is about 900-1000g.

80D + 18-135=1200g. Not a huge saving in terms of weight.

Hope they manage to keep it smaller and lighter than I'm imagining. Otherwise, it won't be very attractive.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Canon Rumors said:
Lost in the madness that is all the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/confirmation-of-upcoming-product-announcements/">new products over the next couple of weeks</a> is the EOS M. There will not be any EOS M announcements for Photokina, which I think is totally understandable. Nothing in the Canon lineup brings about as much hype as a new EOS 5D body.</p>

makes total sense.

Canon's competitor's in this market are the lower end M43's .. the X-A3 and the upcoming Sony 5200.

I can see a DiGiC 7 upgrade similar to the G7X.

which could go a long way of fixing some of the outstanding issues. 6-8fps RAW, faster AF,etc. would certainly put it back into the competitive market for a sub 600 body.

a 18-150 would actually be quite nice.

I could see that lens being in the 300-350g range simply because the 55-200mm is around 260g.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com

sunnyVan said:
A big range zoom like this will probably be at least 500g. Camera itself is probably about 350-450g. The whole package is about 900-1000g.

Hope they manage to keep it smaller and lighter than I'm imagining. Otherwise, it won't be very attractive.

The 55-200mm is only 260g, the 18-55mm just 210g, I'd expect similar or a tad more, definitely below 300g, the M3 is only 366g, no real reason to expect anything more than 400g with EVF - so no more than 700g, almost half the weight of the 80D and 18-135 combo - which is actually 1165g

Upvote 0

Tamron has a 18-200mm for the EOS M. It weighs about 460g. This is why I'm expecting more or less the same weight. I don't mind some nice surprises though.

Haydn1971 said:
sunnyVan said:

The 55-200mm is only 260g, the 18-55mm just 210g, I'd expect similar or a tad more, definitely below 300g, the M3 is only 366g, no real reason to expect anything more than 400g with EVF - so no more than 700g, almost half the weight of the 80D and 18-135 combo - which is actually 1165g

Upvote 0

Good.
I'll keep holding on to my EF-M lenses, then, even though I don't have an M body anymore.

Keeping the ergonomics of the M3 is good news, I've always thought it was right in the sweet spot. For me the deal breaker will be DPAF, it's time to bring this to the M lineup.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2013

As much as I love Canon as a 5D2 and 6D owner, I really wonder what is the decision behind not offering a mirrorless stills camera with a FF sensor or at least a APSC enthusiast mirrorless camera with an EVF. IMHO the market is here for such a device and there is a lot of money ready to jump into a Pro or enthusiast Canon mirrorless camera. The 5DIV will be a great refined camera but too big for carrying around all day. The tech for a mirrorless camera is here and hinders me - and certainly other too - to spend another time that much money for a DSLR while mirrorless seem overdue. Do I have to conclude that I need to jump to another brand or will one of the next Canon FF DSLR cameras be that small that the difference to a comparable mirrorless camera shows as irrelevant? It is kind of difficult to understand Canon's strategy. I would like to stay with Canon but I am just not buying Canon as long as I do not see where Canon wants to go.

Upvote 0

NorbR said:
Good.
I'll keep holding on to my EF-M lenses, then, even though I don't have an M body anymore.

Keeping the ergonomics of the M3 is good news, I've always thought it was right in the sweet spot. For me the deal breaker will be DPAF, it's time to bring this to the M lineup.

Lol, it's been time for a while now. I don't get it. They've had this brilliant technology that would have totally KILLED in a mirrorless camera, but for some obscure reason they've kept it back. Why?

Queue the Canon economics experts who can explain why it all made perfect financial sense.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

naylor83 said:
NorbR said:
Good.

Lol, it's been time for a while now. I don't get it. They've had this brilliant technology that would have totally KILLED in a mirrorless camera, but for some obscure reason they've kept it back. Why?

Queue the Canon economics experts who can explain why it all made perfect financial sense.

a) battery life.
b) not sure how well it will work with a short registration distance mirrorless.
c) cost (if you'll note, every camera that has dual pixel is north of 1K for the body at release)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

neuroanatomist said:
No built-in EVF? Not full frame? Stupid Canon... ;)

The detachable EVF is one of the M3's best features. If you buy it all together as a kit then the EVF adds little to the price. I really enjoy being able to look down into the viewfinder, maybe because it reminds me of my Bronica days, but mainly because it's just so damned comfortable. It's also great reviewing the image that way too. (I get the Stupid Canon reference!)

David said:
As much as I love Canon as a 5D2 and 6D owner, I really wonder what is the decision behind not offering a mirrorless stills camera with a FF sensor

I think it's down to size. Mirrorless seems to be best matched with smaller. lighter at present.

rrcphoto said:
b) not sure how well it will work with a short registration distance mirrorless.

You may be on to something there. It seems that the sensor in the M3 is just lifted from the 760D, so it is based on a greater distance, which then creates issues with the M lenses, vignetting being quite strong. This may be why I find I get much better results from the EF lenses ( or any other FF lens mounted via the adapter for that matter.)

So I could see dual pixel that is based upon dslr distances giving light issues.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014

NorbR said:
Good.

I would say the M3 chassis is basically the ideal mirrorless chassis for me. Tried one out at BH Photo, and although I could use a slightly bigger grip, it's extremely comfortable and usable for a camera of that size. I would totally be all-in if they released a full-frame M3 with the Canon DSLR software instead of being like a powershot. I would really love a mirrorless 35mm f/2 or f/1.4 on that. I wouldn't even buy any other lenses for it.

I know someone brought up the price of cameras that use DPAF-- I'm sure this has a lot to do with the development costs of creating DPAF. Perhaps they could put it in cheaper cameras now because so many cameras have it? I'm sure the 1DX Mark II and 5D mark IV will pay off the DPAF development costs in no time and bring it down to even Rebel cameras, nevertheless mirrorless.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

naylor83 said:
NorbR said:
Good.

One doesn't have to be an economics expert to understand that the economics of any camera line and the lines combined have the largest bearing on price, tech, and all other offerings. The goal is profit, and not just profit... maximizing profits and the long term growth of the company and market segment.

Now queue all the economics experts that don't understand the basic principles of business or economics. Queue especially those who would dare to call profit evil or excessive. ::)

"I don't build in order to have clients. I have clients in order to build." -- Ayn Rand

Upvote 0

I´d like to see an semi-pro M too.
Look on the other brands. High quality with an Wow-effect. So why are we Canonians not allowed to say that "WOW" too when we use an M-cam??
Yes, the M-series sales well. It is an well designed cam for the "normal" point and shoot user. But you are limited if you want to do a little bit more. Why does Canon not compeed with Sony? Are they in fear, Sony will lough at their cam (exept ergonomy?

Upvote 0