There will be an EOS M/EF-M announcement this year [CR1]

For me the M6 mark II is the perfect camera body. The size of the body and lenses makes me carry it everywhere (something I did not want do with my 7D). With 22, 32 and 56mm primes the image quality is outstanding. To make things perfect I'd need only these sony mount lenses for the ef-m mount too:

Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD​

Tamron 70-300mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III RXD​

Maybe also a compact ef-m 11-16mm f/3.5 or f/2.8?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I still hope for a bright future of the EF-M mount. I love to carry the M6II with me and I still hope for an M5MkII - with 8stop IBIS - and some more lenses.... especially a 100-400, a 56 f1.4 (But I can live with the Sigma....) as well as a 64nn f2.8 macro with 1:1 magnification amd some light....
I agree, specially with the need for tele zoom. However no need for Canon 56mm as the Sigma prime is perfect, it's my favorite of all the ef-m lenses (I'have the great Canon 22 f/2 and 32 f/1.4 lenses too).

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I agree, specially with the need for tele zoom. However no need for Canon 56mm as the Sigma prime is perfect, it's my favorite of all the ef-m lenses (I'have the great Canon 22 f/2 and 32 f/1.4 lenses too).

Telezoom--at least a native telezoom--cannot happen so long as Canon insists on a 61mm maxium outside diameter.

I did buy the native Tamron 18-200mm, but it's noticeably fatter than 61mm. However, it practically lives on my M6-II. I did swap it for the 32mm prime the other day--for a while.

Upvote 0
Telezoom--at least a native telezoom--cannot happen so long as Canon insists on a 61mm maxium outside diameter.

I did buy the native Tamron 18-200mm, but it's noticeably fatter than 61mm. However, it practically lives on my M6-II. I did swap it for the 32mm prime the other day--for a while.
I did not even know Canon has a design principle of 61mm maximum diameter but it does seem like that looking at the lenses. Sticking to a specific diameter and still making zillions of filter sizes and lens hood sizes does not look so smart to me. I'd appreciate a lot more if the filters and lens hoods were interchangeable like in the Tamron series for the Sony M mount.

I really don't care if it is Sigma or Tamron making the ef-m lenses as long as someone supplies us with good semi-compact lens options at reasonable prices.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I did not even know Canon has a design principle of 61mm maximum diameter but it does seem like that looking at the lenses. Sticking to a specific diameter and still making zillions of filter sizes and lens hood sizes does not look so smart to me. I'd appreciate a lot more if the filters and lens hoods were interchangeable like in the Tamron series for the Sony M mount.

I really don't care if it is Sigma or Tamron making the ef-m lenses as long as someone supplies us with good semi-compact lens options at reasonable prices.
You might want to look at that Tamron then.

As far as the differing filter diameter, the suggestion I got was to use step up rings and leave them permanently attached to the lenses with the smaller filter diameters, so that you can still standardize. That won't help you with hood sizes though.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The year is about to end and still no firm news on the M line! My vote is for keeping the M line!
At this point, any change may not be possible. The M line (specifically the M50) is high volume and given the supply issues, any changes could result in a undeliverable product. Even the relatively low volume R3 is way out there. I am hopeful that no news here is actually good news, but only time will tell.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
At this point, any change may not be possible. The M line (specifically the M50) is high volume and given the supply issues, any changes could result in a undeliverable product. Even the relatively low volume R3 is way out there. I am hopeful that no news here is actually good news, but only time will tell.
I really do hope for an M6-m3 type of offering... they did not even offer a $50 discount on M6-II this year so yes: it's rough times.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
To look at it another way, Canon has raised prices on a lot of items.
At least the price has not gone up.
I really do hope for an M6-m3 type of offering... they did not even offer a $50 discount on M6-II this year so yes: it's rough times.
I would like to see an M5 upgrade with as many of the r5 features as possible in the power envelope and I would be willing to pay handsomely for one. The fact that there were no discounts is good news re the staying power of the M line. The only discounts this year were on the RP and R, both of which are clearly due for replacement (RA is already EOL), so maybe clearing inventory.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0