This is what we know Canon will be announcing for Photokina

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
That Nikon 500mm 5.6 PF looks amazing. The MTF chart is basically perfect and it weights as much as a 70-200 zoom. Plus it's shorter than Canon's pretty small 400mm 5.6. Truly amazing!

The issue is not the size or MTF chart -- we have tiny DO lenses as well.

It's that they are selling a compact 500 prime for $3600. That's no joke.

- A

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
The issue is not the size or MTF chart -- we have tiny DO lenses as well.

It's that they are selling a compact 500 prime for $3600. That's no joke.

- A

Exactly! I think that price is amazing. The Canon 400 DO is a magnificent lens but it weights significantly more and it's double the price of this 500mm.
It's funny how Canon started developing DO lenses and it was the first to launch one many years ago, yet it's Nikon who has more on the market and there is another one coming soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Exactly! I think that price is amazing. The Canon 400 DO is a magnificent lens but it weights significantly more and it's double the price of this 500mm.
It's funny how Canon started developing DO lenses and it was the first to launch one many years ago, yet it's Nikon who has more on the market and there is another one coming soon.

And a 200-500 f/5.6 IS impossibly being offered for $1400.

But I'll defer to the birders and wildlifers on this. It could be the 100-400L II and 400 DO II are simply a higher class of instrument than the Nikon counterparts.

- A

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
And a 200-500 f/5.6 IS impossibly being offered for $1400.

But I'll defer to the birders and wildlifers on this. It could be the 100-400L II and 400 DO II are simply a higher class of instrument than the Nikon counterparts.

- A

The 100-400 II is surely a higher grade lens than the 200-500. Better built, faster AF and amazing macro mode.
The Nikon 500 PF looks like a high end Canon L grade lens tho.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
"We’re told that Canon will not announce another DSLR in 2018. That means no EOS 90D, no EOS 7D Mark III and no replacement for either EOS 5DS series cameras is coming this year."

Dear lord, Canon makes me soooo angry. This damn company takes too damn long to update it's products. The 7d2 is STILL on the market!?!??! Just...abominable. It' was already old news with a crap sensor AT LAUNCH.

I'll have to get a M50, becasue it was already marked for purchase anyways and it's needed. But god help me ill never buy a 5d4. Too old, too old tech. My trusty 5d3 has to keep deleivering (luv it tho :) )

This leaves sony with yet more space for another upgrade/iteration before you even hear of a new canon camera.

I'm in disbelief that this is what canon has turned into.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The 100-400 II is surely a higher grade lens than the 200-500. Better built, faster AF and amazing macro mode.
The Nikon 500 PF looks like a high end Canon L grade lens tho.
The Canon is definitely the better lens, but on the other hand, the Nikon is $500 less, 100mm longer, and with 2.5X zoom is easier to design than the Canon at 4X zoom.... That said, either one is a fine lens and to go longer in the Canon or Nikon ecosystems, you are going to need at least 4X the cash..... They are both as long as you can go without risking divorce :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I can imagine why canon is still not jumping in to mirorless seas. First they already have lens mount with perfect size. As well they have f1.0, f1.2 lenses. Even flange distance is not so bad comparing Dslrs. Maybe the sensor is not the best yet in terms of noise and low light. But yes, time changes so Canon should not silently sleep if they don't want lose their evaluation. Even if Nikon fails with first Z release, their next product can be a lot stronger, and it is danger. Don't forget Sony which leads the train.

Upvote 0

HankMD

SLR newbie since July, 2012
CR Pro
Oct 14, 2013
Taiwan
That Nikon 500mm 5.6 PF looks amazing. The MTF chart is basically perfect and it weights as much as a 70-200 zoom. Plus it's shorter than Canon's pretty small 400mm 5.6. Truly amazing!
I can see lots of birders, especially the more mobile type, going with a lighter, moderately long lens. Performance with extenders remains to be seen, though.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Even if Nikon fails with first Z release, their next product can be a lot stronger, and it is danger. Don't forget Sony which leads the train.
Or the Nikon Z could go the way of the Nikon 1. I doubt it, but time will tell.

Meanwhile, which train is Sony leading? Well, they were leading the APS-C MILC train, but the EOS M line made Sony's engine jump the tracks.

Upvote 0
As always Canon wait to evaluate what competitors are offering. This time Nikon is offering Z6 for just under $2,000. Canon - say What? Again we do not know yet how good is Z6 or Z7....
It will be interesting to see if Canon can compete and OFFER better specs for the same pricing. OR if they still think their sales are untouchable or won't be affected?

Upvote 0
As always Canon wait to evaluate what competitors are offering. This time Nikon is offering Z6 for just under $2,000. Canon - say What? Again we do not know yet how good is Z6 or Z7....
It will be interesting to see if Canon can compete and OFFER better specs for the same pricing. OR if they still think their sales are untouchable or won't be affected?
I'm sure they are evaluating what competitors are offering, but I doubt they'll change course based on it for the next release. I would have to assume that nearly any course correction at this point would mean really pushing back any release date. I would bet their full frame mirrorless is 99% ready to go, and they are letting Nikon have all the hype for now. Why bother competing for the same attention when you can wait for the Z6/7 hype to die down (and let the reviewers take their toll) then make an announcement with everyone paying attention? For all we know, Canon may be waiting until Sony announces the a7Siii and then let the hype die down for that too. After that, it may be a little while before another full frame gets announced from Sony or Nikon (nearly all full frame lines from both companies would have recently been updated) so Canon could end up with the last word for while. Holding all of the attention may be more important to Canon than being first to market.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Holding all of the attention may be more important to Canon than being first to market.
Winning in the market is likely most important to Canon. Remember how many people (well, forum people) complained that Canon was so late to the MILC market, how they would fail and were doomed because they had no MILC offerings? Five years later, they make the globally best-selling line of MILCs.

Upvote 0
Winning in the market is likely most important to Canon. Remember how many people (well, forum people) complained that Canon was so late to the MILC market, how they would fail and were doomed because they had no MILC offerings? Five years later, they make the globally best-selling line of MILCs.
Absolutely winning the market is the priority - what I was trying to say was Canon may believe that they are better positioned to do that by holding all the attention rather than being first to market.

With respect to being the best-selling line of MILCs - I had thought Canon's M50 took top sales position in only Japan - I wasn't aware that it was world wide? Regardless, people criticize Canon like crazy for not being able to innovate, but then Canon CEO Fujio Mitarai says "we're going on the offensive in mirrorless" and Canon takes the crown less than 12 months later. That says quite a lot about Canon's perception of and ability to meet the demands of of the market. Obviously Fujio didn't come to that realization in the meeting where he was quoted - they've been heading toward that end-game for a while now.

Upvote 0
I'm not in the market so it's easy for me to say but I would rather see Canon bring out a no compromise camera later than a place holder now.

Newsflash: there is no such thing as a no-compromise camera. Or a no-compromise anything, actually. EVERY product is the result of numerous compromises.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Newsflash: there is no such thing as a no-compromise camera. Or a no-compromise anything, actually. EVERY product is the result of numerous compromises.
Absolutely agreed. This camera will compromise on plenty of things and there will be people who are very frustrated and others who are very satisfied. I don't think it is possible for Canon to build one camera that this forum would be unanimously in favour of because many of the desires are mutually exclusive or contrary. People are going to freak out no matter what Canon releases.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Absolutely winning the market is the priority - what I was trying to say was Canon may believe that they are better positioned to do that by holding all the attention rather than being first to market.

With respect to being the best-selling line of MILCs - I had thought Canon's M50 took top sales position in only Japan - I wasn't aware that it was world wide? Regardless, people criticize Canon like crazy for not being able to innovate, but then Canon CEO Fujio Mitarai says "we're going on the offensive in mirrorless" and Canon takes the crown less than 12 months later. That says quite a lot about Canon's perception of and ability to meet the demands of of the market. Obviously Fujio didn't come to that realization in the meeting where he was quoted - they've been heading toward that end-game for a while now.
It is a very good bet that Canon has known for quite a while what the competition is coming out with, and an equally good bet that they are at least 4 years into the developement of their mirrorless FF camera. I rather doubt that they are jiggling time lines because of the competition..... if their camera is better, they want it out now to dissuade people from going elsewhere, if it is worse, the want it out now because of the embarrassment of releasing an inferior camera after the competition releases a better one.

Odds are, they are either finalizing the software and getting the last bugs out before the big announcement, at which point production starts, or production has already started and the announcement is imminent

Upvote 0
Oh, agreed. But the point remains – Canon, no new FF, Nikon, one unavailable new FF, Sony 2 new FF. Easy to claim victory when no other teams show up at the match. Educated forum members see that for the hollow (local and likely transient) victory that it is. ;)

Yeah, but educated forum dwellers also know that Canon would not be making any FF MILC moves at all if it weren’t for Sony’s success ;)

Upvote 0