Tilta shows off a cooling module for the Canon EOS R5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably heard about the heat issues with the Canon EOS R5 when recording high-resolution 4K or 8K video.
I haven’t touched the camera, so I’m not jumping in with an opinion. However, what I have noticed on social media is very different results and conclusions about using the EOS R5 as a video camera regarding heat. There have been those that have said it is unusable for videography work, and there are others that have said they haven’t had an issue and have loved shooting with it.
Knowing social media, it’s probably somewhere in the middle.
Now we have the company Tilta that is showing off a fan that quickly mounts to the rear Canon EOS R5 when the screen is flipped out. As you can see by the images below, it’s pretty and may look like it it’ll be an effective solution, but I...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The problem here is the plastic on the outside of the camera. Plastic for the most part is an insulator, so a Peltier cooler is not going to draw heat through the plastic.
There is a great deal of ambiguity here. What type of "plastic", how thick etc. will influence the thermal resistance and we know none of this so it's kind of pointless to speculate.

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Surely they’d have thoroughly tested the overheating aspect while they were developing the camera right? I’m skeptical that it’s as bad as some people are saying. Could be that the preproduction firmware on the review bodies is not as well optimized as the production models. Inefficient software can definitely cause a device to overheat.
A lot of the early reviewers probably want to cash in on the drama and hype. I’ll be waiting for Gordon Laing’s in-depth review. He’s the most fair and drama free camera review channel I’ve seen so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
I wonder if is it possible to cool the body like that, there is no real connection between the heat source and the fan. Other thing is that the size of the fan don't allow the user to look into the OVF. Anw have teh screen open all the time.

The screen is folded out. This cooler goes where the screen was before.

Upvote 0
Agree. Without a direct connection to the processor this will most likely not be very effective. To get the heat to escape fast you need heat sinks or heat pipes (like the 1dx ii) on the processor as well as a fan. Canon should just make a version of the R5 that ditches the weather sealing and has holes or exhaust it in to end this silly debate for hybrid shooters.

I don't think that the heat will transfer fast enough through the body. Plus I'm gonna guess that the R5 is designed to exhaust heat forward (I think the 5d IV did this) instead of backward.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This solution works, if the camera has a good thermal interface to the backside of the camera.

Drilling holes into the camera wouldn´t help much.
Right. A conduction path from the heat generators to the cooler has a chance of helping. However, relying on internal convection will be minimally useful. And as was previously stated, condensation can become an issue if parts are cooled below room temperature. Interesting though that some entrepreneur jumped on this right away. Was there anticipation of an issue? I’m skeptical that many will find this to be a practical answer if they do have overheating problems in their use. A more likely solution would be an external recorder, or a true dedicated video camera IMO.

Upvote 0
My first thought around this was that, maybe Canon has been clever designing the body such as they have prepared for a battery grip with a fan and a termal connection to the interior of the body, accessible through the battey chamber and thus in normal cases weather sealed. The termal connection could be either conduction (Peltier?) or convection based (air channels).

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
There is a great deal of ambiguity here. What type of "plastic", how thick etc. will influence the thermal resistance and we know none of this so it's kind of pointless to speculate.

Jack
This is worth emphasizing. After all, it is very much in Canon's own interest to use materials that help with heat dissipation.

Also, my from my experience, this cooling device is placed perfectly. That is only based on my 600D, which did get very warm in the area behind the screen when being pushed by Magic Lantern.

Also, keep in mind that we aren't dealing with a huge amount of heat here. It is just too much for the camera to dissipate it faster than it builds up. But getting around 20 Minutes of recording and further recordings after a few minutes of passive cooling makes me believe that even a little active heat dissipation will help a lot. It's the same issues flag ship smartphones are having. Asus sells a simple cooling fan attachment for their gaming smartphone and it does actually work. But as noted, not much will come from speculating either way. The cameras aren't even out in the hands of consumers yet.

People have also had success with cooling DSLR in this way for astro in the past:

Upvote 0
The only realistic thing for Canon to do (besides bending their heads down to their knees and apologizing) is to discontinue the model and come out with a quick successor - the R5b , one that will have vents and a fan. The PR damage is already done but if they act fast they may get some to look past the initial blunder.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0