Has anyone tried the IBIS High resolution shot feature in the firmware version 1.8.1 for the R5?

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
So, I downloaded the latest firmware for the R5 and installed it. I took a few test shots for this feature and found that if the subject moves, then it does not work. I was shooting plants in my garden and there was a slight breeze. So, I waited for the breeze to die down and took the shot again. I find some dithering at the edges of the subjects, in my case the edges of leaves when I zoom to 100%. I simply downloaded the jpg and looked. Have not downloaded DPP yet. Any idea how to clean this out? I saw a video on YouTube where a person demonstrated his first shots, and they were dithered too at the edges of objects. He said that he handheld the camera and I had placed it on my windowsill, and it was stable. I set a 2 sec timer too.

The 12% view looks fine. I have attached it below.

The 100% view has dithering at the edges of the leaves. Also attached below.

I guess this is really fine for large posters or billboards and that is probably the target market. However, if anyone knows of how to "un-dither" (for the lack of a better word) such photos, please comment.

All comments are welcome. I shall try more of this in the next few days.

Attachments

• 12 pct view.png
    12 pct view.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 100 pct view.png
    100 pct view.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 16

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
An update:

So, this morning I took the same picture of the plant I shot yesterday, and I got the same results as yesterday. Please see my post above. I noticed that the leaves were shaking slightly. So, I decided to try it out on my grandmother's steel cupboard as it would not move at all. I got satisfactory results. Please see the attached images. So, my learning is that if anything moves in the scene, you will get the dithering pattern at the edges. Please see the 12% and 100% pics attached. And, yes, the cupboard is over one hundred years old! :)

Attachments

• Patent at 12 pct.png
    Patent at 12 pct.png
    955.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Patent at 100 pct.png
    Patent at 100 pct.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Upvote 0