Tilta shows off a cooling module for the Canon EOS R5

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I'm quite sure they already used and infrared thermometer and tested it. It should work if using the proper CFM and dm rating. Yes blowing forced air onto equipment will lower the ambient temperature at which the equipment operates. Many radars and complex equipment systems may continue to operate uponin losing air conditioning in an emergency with the use of fans in close proximity. Many times for days. Remember those huge equipment racks with racks of equipment modules etc. What sits at the very top of them? You guessed it, fans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
More worryingly is the C&T Northrup video where she had the camera overheating taking stills and the battery running out after an hour, plus EVF blackout. A really weird video that totally contradicts the Canon Ambassador reviews who clearly said the VF was almost like using a DSLR View finder on both mechanical 12FPS & Electronic 20FPS. If there is overheating on stills, that is worrying but something doesn't seem right with this?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
What is your source that the camera body is plastic? Canon claims its magnesium alloy shell and it's pretty clearly made from metal in this "Terminator" image. Haha

Magnesium alloy is the 7th most efficient metal with thermal conductivity.

Attachments

• Canon-EOS-R5-Magnesium-Alloy-Frame.jpg
    Canon-EOS-R5-Magnesium-Alloy-Frame.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The only realistic thing for Canon to do (besides bending their heads down to their knees and apologizing) is to discontinue the model and come out with a quick successor - the R5b , one that will have vents and a fan. The PR damage is already done but if they act fast they may get many people to look past the initial blunder.
What PR damage? Sony has been getting away with compromising for years. And now that Canon wants to have a slice of that cake as well (While currently outperforming all competitors in terms of specs, mind you!), it is suddenly doing damage to your PR if you have reasonable trade-offs in your product? Trade-offs concerning video, on a camera that is primarily stills oriented, even.

I mean, it's nice to see the Sony trolls innovating :ROFLMAO: But a moderate perspective on things continues to be advisable in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
The only realistic thing for Canon to do (besides bending their heads down to their knees and apologizing) is to discontinue the model and come out with a quick successor - the R5b , one that will have vents and a fan. The PR damage is already done but if they act fast they may get many people to look past the initial blunder.
:ROFLMAO:Haha haha.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
This is the chassis of the R5 (from https://asia.canon/en/consumer/eos-r5-body/product):
1595794111926.png

One can see the inside of the back. Different from older DSLR, the backside is closed. That is good for the cooling.

There must be some heat management from heat sources to the body.

The best way to transport a lot of heat in a cramped space are heat pipes. I expect to see some of them in the first R5 tear-down video.

Air channels need a lot of volume, for the air, and for chunky heat sinks with fins.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Comedy gold, thanks I needed that!!!!

Upvote 0
Actually forced air has been the most desired ventilation for electronic equipment. Even with AC, equipment room racks most often still have forced air fans at the top to move and dissipate heat.
Desirable, but not very efficient unless there is a lot of air flow directly over the hot components. Take a look at how CPU coolers work. A thermal block is mounted directly on the CPU, the block uses conduction to remove heat from the CPU, and then a fan or liquid cooler removes heat from the block which has large cooling fins built into it.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
More worryingly is the C&T Northrup video where she had the camera overheating taking stills and the battery running out after an hour, plus EVF blackout. a really weird video that totally contradicts the Canon Ambassador reviews who clearly said the VF was almost like using a DSLR View finder. If there is overheating on stills, that is worrying but something doesn't seem right with this?

I don't believe a single thing those people say. Just finished watching their video and it was a joke.

"You can't choose the subject" then doesn't explain (or maybe doesn't know) that you can manually select the object with your eye on the viewfinder two different ways - 1.) With "initial AF selection" using a manually moveable box. 2.) With touch and drag. These guys went out there and just let the camera do everything? How about a deep dive into the AF features and modes I know are there that make the camera work better? Even DPReview knows about this and brings it up.

'*EVF blackout caused me to lose my subject!' No....no it didn't. Absolutely everything I've heard is that the EVF lag is nearly non existent and is absolutely gone in electronic shutter mode. It's also refreshing at 120Hz. I need to come in before my race this weekend so I can actually test it as a professional motorsports photographer and not a YouTuber that doesn't make their living off professional photo assignments. Haha

The battery life has me deeply DEEPLY concerned. From most accounts, the battery has performed poorly. Something to consider is that all of these people online are using an external recorded to record their EVF at the same time which drains battery. Nobody is walking around taking photos with an external recorder. LOL I've also heard that it lasts all day, who knows. If I can get EOS R life, I'll be happy. But, just judging from their track record of questionable information, I'd like to know if she started with a brand new, freshly charged LP-E6NH battery...or if this is another SD card sham like they pulled at the Canon press event in Hawaii.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I don't believe a single thing those people say. Just finished watching their video and it was a joke.

"You can't choose the subject" then doesn't explain (or maybe doesn't know) that you can manually select the object with your eye on the viewfinder two different ways - 1.) With "initial AF selection" using a manually moveable box. 2.) With touch and drag. These guys went out there and just let the camera do everything? How about a deep dive into the AF features and modes I know are there that make the camera work better? Even DPReview knows about this and brings it up.

'*EVF blackout caused me to lose my subject!' No....no it didn't. Absolutely everything I've heard is that the EVF lag is nearly non existent and is absolutely gone in electronic shutter mode. It's also refreshing at 120Hz. I need to come in before my race this weekend so I can actually test it as a professional motorsports photographer and not a YouTuber that doesn't make their living off professional photo assignments. Haha

The battery life has me deeply DEEPLY concerned. From most accounts, the battery has performed poorly. Something to consider is that all of these people online are using an external recorded to record their EVF at the same time which drains battery. Nobody is walking around taking photos with an external recorder. LOL I've also heard that it lasts all day, who knows. If I can get EOS R life, I'll be happy. But, just judging from their track record of questionable information, I'd like to know if she started with a brand new, freshly charged LP-E6NH battery...or if this is another SD card sham like they pulled at the Canon press event in Hawaii.
All great points. I was surprised that Tony was really impressed with the AF. That must have hurt him to say that but it all seemed a little weird and totally contradictory. Probably not ideal that they were using an adapter, 2x converter and a very big EF lens which isn't probably representative of the ultimate AF performance if RF lenses had been used.

Like you, I've seen other interviews that said the battery life was pretty good and no overheating issues.

I'm sure that the camera will have some things that are not perfect but Chelsea painted a very dismal picture that they must realise could be quite damaging, or do they not care and just want views??

Personally I cant wait for it to arrive at the end of the week and I'll make my own mind up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
More worryingly is the C&T Northrup video where she had the camera overheating taking stills and the battery running out after an hour, plus EVF blackout. A really weird video that totally contradicts the Canon Ambassador reviews who clearly said the VF was almost like using a DSLR View finder on both mechanical 12FPS & Electronic 20FPS. If there is overheating on stills, that is worrying but something doesn't seem right with this?

Do we know the ambient they were shooting at? I'm a few hours away from CT and it's been 90+ degrees F out here. Maybe long exposure to a hot ambient disabled the intensive video options (but allows the regular 4k)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
Do we know the ambient they were shooting at? I'm a few hours away from CT and it's been 90+ degrees F out here. Maybe long exposure to a hot ambient disabled the intensive video options (but allows the regular 4k)
Nope, no idea on the temperatures but this was more about getting hot & overheating after taking stills, not video.

Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
I did previously mention that somebody will come out with a Peltier or straight blowing fan for the R5/R6 sooner or later, but I am amazed at how soon both solutions have appeared:

This is a screengrab from the video mentioned in the previous blog post:

R5+blower.jpg

And here is the exact same blower on ebay ($35, 160 Mph blowing speed):

Granted, the Peltier option will allow for longer continuous shooting, while the leaf blower option will only work between takes. Both are valid walkarounds for the overheating problem, while still maintaining the R5/R6's low-cost FF 8K/4K60p edge over other alternatives. Only downside is they don't have the Canon brand stamped on them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
All great points. I was surprised that Tony was really impressed with the AF. That must have hurt him to say that but it all seemed a little weird and totally contradictory. Probably not ideal that they were using an adapter, 2x converter and a very big EF lens which isn't probably representative of the ultimate AF performance if RF lenses had been used.

Like you, I've seen other interviews that said the battery life was pretty good and no overheating issues.

I'm sure that the camera will have some things that are not perfect but Chelsea painted a very dismal picture that they must realise could be quite damaging, or do they not care and just want views??

Personally I cant wait for it to arrive at the end of the week and I'll make my own mind up.
I would like to add to this because they are also great points. Just watching their AF woes when using the worst option for AF made me laugh. The first thing I did when I got my R was turn on "Initial AF Selection" to manually be controlled by ME, the photographer. Anybody out there that's letting a camera make every decision for them is probably an indicator of why they don't do it for a living. LOL JK Nobody knows what you want to focus on better than YOU. At a wedding when there are 15-20 faces in a frame, I can put a box over the bride and not worry at all. This methodology would lead to a lot of frustration and, likely they would blame the gear when it's entirely user error. Testing a lens the way they would normally shoot and pushing on the camera hard to work in a less-than-ideal lens combo is fine, but I think they should also balance those findings out with other lens combinations. This is exactly one lens being used for a determination of AF aquiity, which irresponsible journalism.

While I have a battery grip on order - along with three other batteries - I do not like changing my batteries out often if I don't have to. I rarely am in a shooting scenario where I can't just flip a door and change a battery or cars. As a matter of fact, I will rotate cards and batteries every time I go back into a media center or there is a pause during a day. But as soon as I saw her talk about battery life, I realized it was a horrible explanation. Where did the battery start. Did you ever turn the camera or IS system off? Where you living inside the EVF that entire time? How had the use of an external recorder the entire time influenced battery life? etcetera, etcetera! There are a lot of information that should be considered.

Oh, and they showed animal eye detection taking a shot of a dog's nose? That's not a fair representation of what everyone else has already demonstrated, so it's their job to figure out what they did wrong.

I can't wait to get mine in as well. My plan is to throw it to the wolves shooting this weekend. This will be 200+mph cars on track at a race, multiple magazine shoots, portraits, and event coverage - basically everything I do with my cameras. So if I can push it there and it works for me, I'm happy and couldn't care less about any problems others are having trying to shoot 1TB of 8K RAW footage for the vlog. haha

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
I did previously mention that somebody will come out with a Peltier or straight blowing fan for the R5/R6 sooner or later, but I am amazed at how soon both solutions have appeared:

This is a screengrab from the video mentioned in the previous blog post:

View attachment 191585

And here is the exact same blower on ebay ($35, 160 Mph blowing speed):

Granted, the Peltier option will allow for longer continuous shooting, while the leaf blower option will only work between takes. Both are valid walkarounds for the overheating problem, while still maintaining the R5/R6's low-cost FF 8K/4K60p edge over other alternatives. Only downside is they don't have the Canon brand stamped on them.

The main benefit to the Peltier cooling module is that it works during the process that the camera is creating the heat. This helps to reduce the build-up and extend the time it takes to get hot. Those other solutions appear to have been used AFTER the camera was already hot in an attempt to cool it.

People want to crack on this cooler for it not working. Peltier cooling is insanely capable - although the heatsink on the back of this one doesn't look all that effective, which will diminish the effectiveness of the whole thing.

I personally hope it works as advertised...because it could be a legitimate solution that would be no different than internal cooling...it just comes down to how well it can work on the R5 and/or R6 with their different body materials and how the heat is being distributed within the camera. If the heat is mainly building up on the back panel where this is attached to, then thermal transfer will work back to the source to push back the heat. This is how CPU coolers work.

Upvote 0
Only the simplest CPU coolers rely only on heat conduction. Most of them have heat pipes to move the heat away from the bottleneck. Like this one, where you can easily see the heat pipes that are made from copper.
View attachment 191584
That white block at the bottom of your photo is not the CPU. It is the CONDUCTION BLOCK that is in direct contact (actually a thin layer of thermal grease is inbetween) with a CPU (not in the image). The heat pipes draw heat from this block. All those fins you see are to exchange heat with air that is expelled to the exterior environment. Not much air space inside a camera body, and the air that is there has no place to go.

Upvote 0
The main benefit to the Peltier cooling module is that it works during the process that the camera is creating the heat. This helps to reduce the build-up and extend the time it takes to get hot. Those other solutions appear to have been used AFTER the camera was already hot in an attempt to cool it.

People want to crack on this cooler for it not working. Peltier cooling is insanely capable - although the heatsink on the back of this one doesn't look all that effective, which will diminish the effectiveness of the whole thing.

I personally hope it works as advertised...because it could be a legitimate solution that would be no different than internal cooling...it just comes down to how well it can work on the R5 and/or R6 with their different body materials and how the heat is being distributed within the camera. If the heat is mainly building up on the back panel where this is attached to, then thermal transfer will work back to the source to push back the heat. This is how CPU coolers work.
Peltier coolers are useful if you have plenty of energy available to power them. Either a plug in power supply, or a sizeable battery. Those Astro guys go to extremes to reduce sensor noise. Not unusual to have a car battery to drive equipment in the field (tracking mount, computer, sensor cooling).

Upvote 0