Tips on deterring forcible equipment theft while carrying camera?

dcren123 said:
It is very surprising how much difference there is regarding theft and security between countries.
Reports like this give a clue - https://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/Crime-statistics/International_Statistics_on_Crime_and_Justice.pdf

The robbery rates on page 27 might be of interest.

But the problem with these types of reports is that they rely on reported crimes. And crimes tend to only get reported where you have effective police forces. The stats from developed countries might be more accurate than less developed countries. There are also some crimes in some places that you just don't report (eg where it is illegal to be victims of such crimes.)

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
SteveM said:
I doubt any camouflage would work, a thief will take any bag under the assumption it contains something. Any camera/thing you carry probably has a value which can be sold to support a 'habit.'
I doubt the Police would recommend fighting back (unless your life were in immediate danger), any fight on your part would probably result in your being shot or stabbed. Using a weapon of your own has the possibility of you being charged with murder should the worst case scenario arise....carrying a weapon is premeditation.
I'll reiterate what I said above, stay out of obviously dangerous places and stick with the crowds in a city you don't know very well. I carry a small camera bag (one camera with 24-105 usually) across my chest so it can't be grabbed and run off with. I'd hazard a guess sunrise is much safer than night photography as the s... will probably be asleep.
Yup, I know, I probably watch too much CSI

Carrying a weapon IS NOT premeditation. Doing so is perfectly legal in most every single U.S. state.

While camera equipment can be insured and considered disposable, the mugger may decide the photographer is disposable too.

Yup, if you kill a perp. you will be arrested until things are sorted out, but you will not be dead. handguns are used nearly a million times each year (by civilians) in the United States to thwart attacks and robberies.

FanBoy, his statement about premeditation was ill-informed.

But a "million times"? Where did you come up with that number?

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
You "muricans" and your guns.....

This is an international forum. In civilized countries, you are not allowed to go wandering around pretending that you are Rambo and armed like it is some old clint eastwood movie...

In most US states you have to have a permit if you want to do this. Legally that is. Our uncivilized behaviour is regulated.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Don Haines said:

This is an international forum. In civilized countries, you are not allowed to go wandering around pretending that you are Rambo and armed like it is some old clint eastwood movie...

I don't believe a country that foisted Celine Dion on the world can be considered truly civilized.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
unfocused said:
Don Haines said:

I don't believe a country that foisted Celine Dion on the world can be considered truly civilized.

Don't forget Justin Bieber came from there too.

Upvote 0
This basically reiterates what everyone else said.

- When you have your best gear, keep to places that are safe
- When you're in seedier places, carry more concealable, less expensive gear

When I was in Rio de Janeiro and Salvador de Bahia, I checked with the hotels and only took my DSLR + tripod to places they stated were safe. Otherwise I had my Rx100. I follow the same procedure in most US cities.

A gun really isn't a solution. Besides the legal issues, you're making a huge assumption about your attacker. In Brazil many of the muggers are armed and will kill you for even making eye contact.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
dcren123 said:
It is very surprising how much difference there is regarding theft and security between countries. I was traveling in Hokkaido Japan taking pictures of Cranes last year, and this japanese photographer (maybe two of them) a few feet away from me went to the restroom for like ten minutes leaving two tripods with a Nikon+supertele and Canon+Sigma 150-600 attached with another Canon plus 70-200 2.8 hanging on the tripod out in the field. No one even glanced at those gears.

You do see that "other" camera just a few feet beyond in the bokeh, right? Security cameras do wonders for deterrence.

I do agree with you though that culturally, different parts of the world respect other's and their property in different ways, some good, and some very bad.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
CanonFanBoy said:
SteveM said:
I doubt any camouflage would work, a thief will take any bag under the assumption it contains something. Any camera/thing you carry probably has a value which can be sold to support a 'habit.'
I doubt the Police would recommend fighting back (unless your life were in immediate danger), any fight on your part would probably result in your being shot or stabbed. Using a weapon of your own has the possibility of you being charged with murder should the worst case scenario arise....carrying a weapon is premeditation.
I'll reiterate what I said above, stay out of obviously dangerous places and stick with the crowds in a city you don't know very well. I carry a small camera bag (one camera with 24-105 usually) across my chest so it can't be grabbed and run off with. I'd hazard a guess sunrise is much safer than night photography as the s... will probably be asleep.
Yup, I know, I probably watch too much CSI

Carrying a weapon IS NOT premeditation. Doing so is perfectly legal in most every single U.S. state.

While camera equipment can be insured and considered disposable, the mugger may decide the photographer is disposable too.

Yup, if you kill a perp. you will be arrested until things are sorted out, but you will not be dead. handguns are used nearly a million times each year (by civilians) in the United States to thwart attacks and robberies.

Heh... which news story is likely to be aired?? the one about the robbery that didn't happen because the potential victim had a gun, or the one that did because the actual victim didn't have a gun?

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
mnclayshooter said:
Heh... which news story is likely to be aired?? the one about the robbery that didn't happen because the potential victim had a gun, or the one that did because the actual victim didn't have a gun?

Of course, the issue is how you can prove a robbery that didn't occur, didn't occur because the potential victim had a gun. I believe that most gun owners in US carry a concealed gun, not on open show in the holster.

If you can show me that the mugging rate in US is lower in the US and can correlate this to gun ownership then you may have a case. If the mugging rate in US is higher then who knows...

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:

I've lived in NY my whole life. Lived in various parts of NYC and Brooklyn and have never even see a mugging, act of violence or a gun being used for any reason... My point being, these cases are rare. I know robberies and muggings happen, and it's unfortunate, but it's not the norm. Just use common sense and be aware of your property and surroundings.

Oh, and let's not lump all Americans together. And I for one cringe at the saying "Muricans".

Upvote 0
Personally, I feel the best determent consists of having yourself covered from multiple angles. That means insurance, knowning areas of confrontation/theft and avoiding them, actively being aware of your surroundings, and concealed carrying a firearm.

The best part of concealed carrying is you can still choose whether to use it or surrender your gear. It's situational and judgement can be used depending on the confrontation.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
mnclayshooter said:

Of course, the issue is how you can prove a robbery that didn't occur, didn't occur because the potential victim had a gun. I believe that most gun owners in US carry a concealed gun, not on open show in the holster.

If you can show me that the mugging rate in US is lower in the US and can correlate this to gun ownership then you may have a case. If the mugging rate in US is higher then who knows...

All you need to do is look at places like Texas. They have the largest percentage of gun carriers and the lowest crime rates. Then compare to places like Chicago, etc. with the strictest gun laws hindering law abiding citizens from carrying...

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

pdirestajr said:
Don Haines said:

I've lived in NY my whole life. Lived in various parts of NYC and Brooklyn and have never even see a mugging, act of violence or a gun being used for any reason... My point being, these cases are rare. I know robberies and muggings happen, and it's unfortunate, but it's not the norm. Just use common sense and be aware of your property and surroundings.

Oh, and let's not lump all Americans together. And I for one cringe at the saying "Muricans".

Ahh... don't take it personally when a Gord calls you a "murican", he knows no better... he's just a simple cat loving 51st Stater.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Mikehit said:
CanonFanBoy said:

And from what statistics I have seen, where someone is shot, it is more often that the person being robbed is shot often with their own handgun when the perp takes it off them. But I guess that is a discussion for a different time.

And your stats are sorely mistaken, and intentionally so by groups like guncontrol inc. You list such stories and I can list you many more stories that say the opposite.

Here's a list of covered news stories. Let's see your list of perps. killing gun owners with their own guns. https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx?page=0&state=0&startDate=20170111&endDate=20170118&search=&contentBuckets=#latest-news

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Pookie said:
pdirestajr said:
Don Haines said:

Ahh... don't take it personally when a Gord calls you a "murican", he knows no better... he's just a simple cat loving 51st Stater.

Which civilized country is that Mr. Haines? The one that brought the slave trade to the Americas?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Don Haines said:
pdirestajr said:
Don Haines said:

Most of the people from the US that I have met are fine upstanding people and I proudly call many of them friends.... It's the few that are gun crazy that get me going....

"Gun crazy" Nice. Bigoted much?

I'm for personal choice. If you don't want one, don't get one. However, leave my choice to me. I'll not call you names for your choice. Stop being a cad about the choices of others.

Upvote 0
Fatalv said:
Personally, I feel the best determent consists of having yourself covered from multiple angles. That means insurance, avoiding known areas of confrontation/theft and avoiding them, actively being aware of your surroundings, and concealed carrying a firearm.

The best part of concealed carrying is you can still choose whether to use it or surrender your gear. It's situational and judgement can be used depending on the confrontation.

The firearm is for personal protection and self defense, not to protect your gear.

For instance someone who snatches your camera from your neck and starts running away, in most states you would be charged for murder if you shoot him. He is running away and you are not in danger.

You are allowed to meet force with force. If you are a man and another man your size comes up and says give me your gear or I will punch you. Shooting him would be questionable because you can meet him with the same force he brings. If he has a club it would be considered deadly and you can bring the gun.

You have to be in danger to use the gun. It is best to not even take into consideration the loss of your gear when considering to use deadly force. In the heat of the moment it might bias your actions.

Carrying a firearm is a somber responsibility, knowing that the gun has one function which is to take someone's life. Unlike Mr, Haines Rambo perception of Americans, the majority that have a CC permit take it very seriously.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
Don Haines said:
pdirestajr said:
Don Haines said:

Most of the people from the US that I have met are fine upstanding people and I proudly call many of them friends.... It's the few that are gun crazy that get me going....

"Gun crazy" Nice. Bigoted much?

I'm for personal choice. If you don't want one, don't get one. However, leave my choice to me. I'll not call you names for your choice. Stop being a cad about the choices of others.

Gun Crazy goes back many centuries, it is why some countries still have a Queen and well...we have the Donald.

Upvote 0