To buy M or not to buy M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
elflord said:
Perhaps the only point of the mirrorless from Canon is to keep the party faithful from giving up and buying one of the strong products from other manufacturers.

Or to complete the merger of still photography and video. Granted the current offerings are absolutely pathetic but consider the possibility that the 7D2 (or some "M1" professional model) will be M-mount and capable of taking 24FPS. And, oh yes, that extra pin in the M lensmount is for power zoom and introduced concurrently with the 7D2/M1 are a series of video-centric zoom lenses with that capability.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

And, oh yes, that extra pin in the M lensmount is for power zoom and introduced concurrently with the 7D2/M1 are a series of video-centric zoom lenses with that capability.

Let's hope so, as a servo zoom EF lens would hopefully also work on the c series cameras.

There was the old EF 35-80 PZ (sold with the EOS 700 I think) which used an on lens servo control, this type of the design would enable the any new PZ lenses on existing video capable DSLR's, which is a big market. I'm not sure that any of the EF mount pins had any bearing other than power, which would be going to the lens anyway for aperture and focus.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
pwp said:
I was at CPS the other day and talking about the M. Most pro photographers have bounced off the M for two main reasons. Slow & erratic AF plus the lack of a viewfinder, either EVF or optical. I guess I fit into this category too. Version-2 may be worth the wait. Personally I'd love one if the AF was up to scratch.

-PW

Until the AF is solved the rest is a waste of time. Yes also need a viewfinder.

Upvote 0
I can't tell you what to buy, but I can suggest to write a pros and cons list. I did this and compared it to the other cameras I was considering (X100,Nex,OMD and lumix) and it really showed that the M isn't a too bad of a camera, for its price.
I've just ordered mine and it should arrive in a week. I had to get it parallel imported here in NZ as they only offer 2 kits (single lens and twin lens) and I didn't want the zoom as my 17-40 will be my standard zoom on the M.

I reckon this will make a handy second camera and I think it's pretty cool.

Good luck.
Blair

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
paul13walnut5 said:
However I do use some third party lenses, specifcially concerned about the Tokina 11-16, Sigma 30mm f1.4 and 70mm f2.8. Lensbaby composer too.
Has anybody used any of these lenses via the EF adaptor?
Paul, a colleague of mine (to whom I had sold my Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens in 2010) just today received her brand new EOS-M with 22m, the 18-55 lenses and the EF adapter, so I've asked her to check it with the Tokina 11-16mm and she said it works perfectly ... I've requested her to bring it over one of these days, if I get a hold of it I'll post some pics taken with EOS-M & Tokina 11-16 ... hopefully you will like them as I am not a pro but I do make a few decent pics once in a while. ;D

Upvote 0
CircuitR said:
I can't tell you what to buy, but I can suggest to write a pros and cons list. I did this and compared it to the other cameras I was considering (X100,Nex,OMD and lumix) and it really showed that the M isn't a too bad of a camera, for its price.
I've just ordered mine and it should arrive in a week. I had to get it parallel imported here in NZ as they only offer 2 kits (single lens and twin lens) and I didn't want the zoom as my 17-40 will be my standard zoom on the M.

I reckon this will make a handy second camera and I think it's pretty cool.

Good luck.
Blair

I myself like the idea, and can't wait for a V2 of this camera to get for my girlfriend (aka second body 8))

Upvote 0

Ew

Mar 21, 2012
Just picked up an M w/ 22mm + EF adapter.

I was surpized at how un-inspiring the 22 is. But the EF adapter works great - although there is a little play beyween is and the body. (Tried 3 copes - all same).

Tried the 135/2 and SY8mm before the initial charge died.

I've also forgotten how much noise there is compared to a 5D3. :eek:

While I may completely wrong, I'm looking at this as a manual focus / b-roll body.
I'll see how it goes and will update. Please so far.

Upvote 0
Ew said:
Just picked up an M w/ 22mm + EF adapter.

I was surpized at how un-inspiring the 22 is. But the EF adapter works great - although there is a little play beyween is and the body. (Tried 3 copes - all same).

Tried the 135/2 and SY8mm before the initial charge died.

I've also forgotten how much noise there is compared to a 5D3. :eek:

While I may completely wrong, I'm looking at this as a manual focus / b-roll body.
I'll see how it goes and will update. Please so far.

I haven't had too much time to play with the 22mm in the stores, having a sales rep breathing over me is annoying. I'll find out when my M arrives next week.

I've thought about getting a Samyang/Rokinon 8mm, but I want to buy the 35L next for my 5D2. Maybe some better M mount primes will be released later this year.

Upvote 0
CircuitR said:
scrup said:
For those that have the kit flash. Is it worth getting it?

I see some decent ebay deals from HK with it.

Deciding on just getting 22 + adapter for 710 or 22. 18-55, flash + adapter for around 870.

I'd get the 22mm kit and buy a 270EX, the kit flash seems a bit under powered to me.

the 90ex is worth it if you have another flash and want a commander. that's how I use it anyway.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
pwp said:
I was at CPS the other day and talking about the M. Most pro photographers have bounced off the M for two main reasons. Slow & erratic AF plus the lack of a viewfinder, either EVF or optical. I guess I fit into this category too. Version-2 may be worth the wait. Personally I'd love one if the AF was up to scratch.

-PW

+1000

Upvote 0

Ew

Mar 21, 2012
Slightly annoying is the constant AF - feels as if it is thrashing any lens attached. Need to find out how to turn that off.

Looking forward to running ML for focus peaking.. this would be a great quick MF solution.

Need to do some tests with different SD cards - initial runs only showed a 4 frame burst sequence shooting raw. Jpg keeps going ang going however.

Weekend is planned (after kids are in bed) - MagicLantern and intervelometer workflows.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I have the M and have used it a few times. I have both the 22mm and the 18-55mm lenses. No adapter (tried it and the focus with standard EF lenses was far too slow for my liking)

Unlike many posters here, I didn't buy it so much as a replacement or even complement to my DSLR as I did get it to replace my SD950IS Elph. I bought it as a small everyday camera and use it for the same things I would have used the Elph for (read: places where a DSLR is either inconvenient or not allowed). FOR THAT PURPOSE it excels. The IQ runs circles around the SD950IS and (using the 22mm lens) rivals my old 60D in quality. The two big drawbacks I see are a) lack of built-in flash and b) AF can hunt sometimes. The AF is no worse than the SD950IS in most cases (sometimes it is slower at wide angle, but at telephoto it's significantly faster - the SD950IS would take at least 2-3 seconds to focus zoomed all the way in).

The 22mm lens provides great IQ - comparable to, say a 60D with the 40mm 2.8. OTOH, the 18-55mm I find to be very average, even mediocre in non-ideal lighting situations. Even then it's STILL better than the SD950IS. Disappointingly, though, sometimes there's not much difference (usually shooting ISO 3200 indoors/no flash).

But the biggest upgrade from the Elph for me? The ability to shoot RAW...this keeps my workflow consistent and gives me the same options/flexibility for editing as if I used my 5D.

As a P&S replacement - get it, it won't let you down. As a DSLR replacement - not recommended. As a complement/backup to a DSLR - perhaps I would wait and try out the new Rebel SL1 first.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
paul13walnut5 said:
However I do use some third party lenses, specifcially concerned about the Tokina 11-16, Sigma 30mm f1.4 and 70mm f2.8. Lensbaby composer too.
Has anybody used any of these lenses via the EF adaptor?
Paul, a colleague of mine (to whom I had sold my Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens in 2010) just today received her brand new EOS-M with 22m, the 18-55 lenses and the EF adapter, so I've asked her to check it with the Tokina 11-16mm and she said it works perfectly ... I've requested her to bring it over one of these days, if I get a hold of it I'll post some pics taken with EOS-M & Tokina 11-16 ... hopefully you will like them as I am not a pro but I do make a few decent pics once in a while. ;D

mine works fine with my sigma 35, 50 and 85 also fine with my chipped lens baby and chipped 8mm samyang

Upvote 0
jondave said:
I have one with the 22mm and EF adaptor. I got it so I don't have to lug my 5D3 everywhere.

A lot of people here bash the EOS-M for what it isn't supposed to be. Those opinions are misguided because the EOS-M isn't supposed to be your DSLR substitute. What it is is a compact with impeccable image quality, full manual control, AF points you can virtually focus anywhere in the scene. And to top it off, can use EF/EF-S lenses! The EOS-M is for those wanting to jump in the photography scene but don't want to get a chunky DSLR. Eventually when those people buy EF/EF-S lenses it'll be a much more economical transition to a DSLR.

Sure the AF is slow - what do you expect from a compact??? But take note the AF speed depends on what lens is on it - STM lenses focus fast, while it's painfully slow with my 16-35mm II. EVF? You don't put an EVF on a compact. Me, I compose just fine from the LCD.

Take the EOS-M for what it is. If you want a smaller body that has proper AF speed, get a 1100D/650D. Or a Sony Nex if you have a lot of money to still invest in another system. Otherwise there is no substitute to the DSLR you currently have.

I think you misunderstood people's complain regarding slow AF. What do you mean "what do you expect from a compact"? There are other mirrorless camera that has fast/faster AF. So they are not compact?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.