Tony Northrup invades the Rumorsphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
thetechhimself said:
Side note, he doesn't get that the 5DS/R is it's own niche. And he also hasn't been doing his reading, Canon has already had 2 development announcements for their 120MP DSLR, which will obviously be the 5DS/R II. Duh. Not the 5D4.

Agree. The entire presentation spoke like resolution of the sensor defined each camera's newness/hotness.

A7S III with 28 MP? Why? Is that the FF extrapolation of a cropped 6k video signal?

And he brings up something I have been suggesting -- that Sony gets first rights to market their own sensors before Nikon gets a crack at them. The $64,000 for Nikon is if the D820/D900/Dwhatever will have the A7R II sensor (a year old now!) or if it will wait for the next best sensor Sony rolls out.

An A9 with 20 fps I actually think is plausible, but there would be huge questions about the AF and huger questions about how third party lenses would keep up with that AF.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
ahsanford said:
Tony Northrup makes Canon/Nikon/Sony camera predictions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDvul84wues

Haven't played it all, but He said the 6D2 is coming out before the 5D4, the 7D3 is up for a quicker refresh because of the D500.

- A

Tony Northrup definitely knows what he's talking about.

His reviews of tech and knowledge of the photo industry is first-rate. He probably does have insider knowledge. Who are you to say otherwise?!

Did any of you even bother to watch the Nikon D5, D500, 1DX2, 5DSR review? He clearly shows how the "pro" bodies are lacking nowadays and the only reason wildlife and journalists still carry them is because they're used to carrying around bodies that size from the film days. Tony is definitely right for so many reasons!

Tony rightly points out too that there is something eerily similar between the D5 and 1DX2 in body design. Can these companies not innovate anymore? They just copy off each other. He also raises the issue of the pathetic touch LCDs used on these cameras compared to his Samsung smartphone's -- it's a travesty that on a $6,500 body the screens are so small and don't have the same functionality.

The thing I really like about Northrup is his real world testing of the cameras. It was great to see how well the autofocus on these cameras perform in a real-life situation, like playing kick-ball with his wife and focusing on his daughter's face in low light to emphasize the marvel of 3D tracking. Basically the review shows that unless you need top-of-the-line focusing systems, these 'professional' cameras just don't deliver compared to their much cheaper counter parts -- the 5DSR and D500, which offer either huge megapixels or a crop sensor for extra reach and pixel density. I'll definitely be going huge megapixels next time, as it gives by far the best image quality. If there's too much noise in my shot if I'm in a high iso situation, I'll just reduce the image down to 20MP in post.

Watch the review. Tony probably has the best photography channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT14RrsDW18

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
R1-7D said:
ahsanford said:

Haven't played it all, but He said the 6D2 is coming out before the 5D4, the 7D3 is up for a quicker refresh because of the D500.

- A

His reviews of tech and knowledge of the photo industry is first-rate. He probably does have insider knowledge. Who are you to say otherwise?!...

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, ironic or sincere. Or maybe you are Tony Northrup.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
unfocused said:
R1-7D said:
ahsanford said:

- A

His reviews of tech and knowledge of the photo industry is first-rate. He probably does have insider knowledge. Who are you to say otherwise?!...

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, ironic or sincere. Or maybe you are Tony Northrup.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. - Oscar Wilde

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
unfocused said:
R1-7D said:
ahsanford said:

- A

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, ironic or sincere.

I was thinking sardonic at first, but upon reflection he's probably being sincerely sardonironacastic. :p

Upvote 0
R1-7D said:
See! Just how could a $600 phone screen beat a $6000 camera's screen? Ridiculous. I trust Tony. He tells it like it is. How could Nikon and Canon let this happen?

Tony FTW!

I'm not sure if the S7 has a better screen than the S6, or the 1DXii has a worse screen than the 1DX, but my 1DX screen is much easier to view in direct sunlight than my S6.

huBcba0l.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
I like Tony, but i think he's way off base here:-

I see it this way:-

5D4, 32MP, 6-8FPS(Crop modes), 61pt AF, 4K-25FPS, Tilt Only Touch Screen, GPS, WiFi, RT(Speedlight)
6D2, 24MP, 6FPS, 45pt AF, HD, Fully Articulated Touch Screen, GPS, WiFi
7D3, 24MP, 12FPS, 85pt AF, 4K, Tilt Only Touch Screen, GPS, WiFi
1DXR, 50MP-75MP, 8-12FPS(Crop modes), 4k-120FPS, 1DX body, 2 x CFAST, 4 Digic 7 Processors)

I dont care about Sonys, and I bet this is closer, we'll see

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
By the standards of this group I am a mere novice in predicting what might happen, but I really cannot see a 7Diii coming out before a 5Div. The 7Dii has only been out two minutes (in Canon timescales). And I cannot see the 5Div going to 75mp. Perhaps a new version of the 5DS/R will come out with 75mp, but surely not before the 5Div...

My tuppence...

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
raptor3x said:
R1-7D said:
See! Just how could a $600 phone screen beat a $6000 camera's screen? Ridiculous. I trust Tony. He tells it like it is. How could Nikon and Canon let this happen?

Tony FTW!

I'm not sure if the S7 has a better screen than the S6, or the 1DXii has a worse screen than the 1DX, but my 1DX screen is much easier to view in direct sunlight than my S6.

huBcba0l.jpg

You're wrong. Tony says so. Complete lack of innovation from Canon and Nikon. Why the hell wouldn't they put a 4-5" class screen on a pro body in 2016? They could practically get rid of all the physical buttons then!!

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
R1-7D said:
raptor3x said:
R1-7D said:

Tony FTW!

huBcba0l.jpg

You're wrong. Tony says so. Complete lack of innovation from Canon and Nikon. Why the hell wouldn't they put a 4-5" class screen on a pro body in 2016? They could practically get rid of all the physical buttons then!!
And you can create a noseprint identification system to prevent anyone else from using your camera!

Upvote 0

LoneRider

Profession Geek.
Oct 4, 2011
Great state of Texas
So, it could be, he knows what is to be expected, and is just throwing us of balance, so we will go out an purchase a 5D-iii hahahahaha

If I was the product/program manager at Canon, I would still have the 5D-iv with the ~28MP, DPAF and all the goodies we suspect. Maybe even a hybrid EVF setup?

How cool would that be to see you images in the viewfinder, but when shut off still be able to use the viewfinder as current DLSR. eck, we will see what the new cool feature is.

I still think I can see the 6D-ii slot in at your 36MP range, without DPAF. 4-5 FPS, GPS, WiFi, okay AF, for $2500. With the 5DS-ii going with 60-80MP (again non-DPAF)

The 5D-iv will be the king "jack of all trade, master of weddings" camera. And that is NOT 75MP :D

Upvote 0
R1-7D said:

Hmm, he lost on the very first minute of the video, when he said that the 6DII will be priced at $1500.

This really doesn't make any sense to me.
As I've said in other posts, I strongly feel that the 6DII will be a D750 competitor and will be priced at around $2000.
Hopefully not more - which wouldn't be all that surprising, actually.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.