Two new EOS M cameras rumoured to be coming in 2020 [CR1]

Jan 29, 2011
Contracting market, more models than we need, what could go wrong?
Look at the history of the range of cameras Canon have made available in the lower levels of the EOS system, thy did that because at this level price is the determining factor and even a $50 price change will make a difference to these buyers, I expect Canon, who are extremely good at this kind of marketing, to do a similar thing with the M range if they are expecting the M to eventually replace their cash cow lower level EOS cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I still dont quite understand this thought. The M6 II works perfectly with EF and EF-S with the adapter - the adapter isn't large and you don't have to get the big heavy EF glass...? There's good quality smaller and lighter that is very available. L style quality still gonna be big and heavy no matter the mount size too so... why not just use EF or EF-S?

Also there is simply zero performance minuses with the adapter. Autofocus still fast as native.

It really is a great camera. Just get the adapter and enjoy

(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
Was that a 'The M6ii is replacing the M5 and M6 for now (until we finish developing the M5ii)' or 'We will definitely never develop an M5ii' ? I love my little M5, and would be interested in an M5ii with built in EVF, but don't want the M6ii with accessory EVF.
I agree: the attached EVF is not the best choice... love the M5 over the M6 package... But in total: the M6 is damned good!!!

On the other side.., I made more than 10k images on my M5 - which got replaced by the M6. It is a very handy camera and it delivers excellent images... It is by fare too good as an entry level system.

But I do want to get more good glass. The zooms are ok, but a nice 50 and 85 f1.4 would be just awesome... tiny light and a bit affordable....

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Even though as consumers we would like to continue to have a medium-to-large lineup of camera bodies, in a seriously shrinking market Canon has to decide where to spend a shrinking pool of money to develop and manufacture new bodies. Hence I believe one of the reasons that they decided to try and bridge the gap with the EOS 90D; the gap between their APS-C XXD and XD series.

When a large group of consumers (probably a fair number of Pros, Semi-pros, and serious wildlife 'hobbyists') dearly wanted a 7D Mk III and others were wanting to move up in capabilities from the Rebel line but didn't want to have to replace all their EF-S glass then a replacement for the 80D would be the logical choice.

Canon is in a tough spot (all the camera manufacturers are) in trying to decide what lines will continue and which will go the way of the Dodo bird. I can't see their end game and don't know how much their R&D (for Camera and Lens development) budget has shrunk and will continue to shrink. But it seems to me that they perhaps realized a little late that they needed to get in the FF mirrorless game. And so devoted some hefty resources to that development at the expense of a 7D Mk III. I don't have any way of knowing, but I think within Canon they had to make the hard decision to either move forward with the XXD line or the 7D line. They looked at the sales numbers combined with market research and realized if they could only move forward with one of those models at this time that it should be the 90D. So they upgraded the frame-rate, the autofocusing, and a few other areas - more than they would have than if they were just replacing the 80D/77D.

I am waiting for them to make a quite refined, super-high-frame-rate APS-C mirrorless, with IBIS, a rugged build, and killer tracking focus. And a host of other features that one would expect in a wildlife/sports/action camera. Basically a mirrorless 7D Mk III - an EOS R7? Or 7R? ...? But we'll have to wait as Canon determines the market receptivity to the offerings they are already slated to launch.

Canon Cameras and Lenses are marketing tools in and of themselves to sell other canon products. If you have a canon camera and are happy with the quality and performance then you might have a favorable view of the canon business product line. Or you see all those pros with those big white lenses on the sidelines again you as an executive or commercial purchaser would possibly have a favorable view of reliability of Canon.
The camera products are a way to advertise the brand in a very positive way.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
I thought long and hard about buying and M50. Biggest problem is lack of native lenses. M series is so small that ef/es lenses are too large to use with it by adapter. I purchased a Canon RP full frame. Very happy with its performance and size. My canon prime lenses -50 and 85- work beautifully with adapter and I purchased an inexpensive RF 35 mm 1.8 IS native lens. All the other new RF lenses are heavy and expensive fast primes f 1.2 glass which IMO is gouging the market. Hopefully Canon will eventually produce a series of RF primes with an aperture of 1.8 or 2.
That is an excellent idea purchasing the EOS RP full frame instead of the EOS M series. However, I prefer spacing camera bodies by dimensions and weight as one of my major factors in determining camera systems. That is why I am sticking with the EOS M5 for my lightest weight camera body, the EOS R for medium weight, and the EOS-1D X Mark II for heaviest weight. Depending upon the situation, I can plan in advance what size camera body and lens I will need for the photo shoot.

• Love
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Look at the history of the range of cameras Canon have made available in the lower levels of the EOS system, thy did that because at this level price is the determining factor and even a $50 price change will make a difference to these buyers, I expect Canon, who are extremely good at this kind of marketing, to do a similar thing with the M range if they are expecting the M to eventually replace their cash cow lower level EOS cameras.
This. Plus, we don't know what the incremental costs to Canon are to produce multiple versions of similar bodies. I suspect it's not very much and that Canon has a pretty good idea of both how many they need to sell and what it costs for each additional version and carefully balances the two.

Upvote 0
Weaker camera manufacturers like Olympus or non-core companies like Sony will exit the market and supply will better match demand.

Everyone in the industry but Canon could go under, and I don't think it would be enough to stop what's coming, perhaps delay it a few years.

Upvote 0
So much low end action
I am jealous waiting for the high end mirrorless options. The rf lenses look great but we just need the following popular bodies as an RF

7d mark
5D mark
1D

this is the holy trinity of bodies
The high megapixel RF is not a high volume camera or very important

Particularly the 7D. I skipped the 7D mark II and am looking to replace my well worn 7D with something more modern.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
If Canon isn’t planning on making any M lenses to obtain the best results from the 32 MP sensor in the M series in particular, I don’t understand why they bothered to install it in the M6II.

i am a Canon FF user, but would consider the M6II if they had lenses to get the best results from the 32MP sensor without looking for third party lenses. If they do not care to expand the M series with lenses to go with the higher MP sensor, I guess that its all just marketing.

1. the final 32MP image will still have more detail than a 24MP sensor with the same lens that's a plus
2. some sharp EF and EF-M lenses will be able to resolve 32MP, so another plus over lower resolution sensor
3. works great for marketing, 32 sounds a lot better than 24 for the competition, especially for non-experts

Upvote 0

jtf

Mar 22, 2019
Particularly the 7D. I skipped the 7D mark II and am looking to replace my well worn 7D with something more modern.

I skipped the 7DII as well and still have my 7D that is rarely used these days. I've been using the M5 and R for literally all my shooting but I would love a ML 7D type body. Hard to imagine it coming from the M line, more than likely an R.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I agree: the attached EVF is not the best choice... love the M5 over the M6 package... But in total: the M6 is damned good!!!

On the other side.., I made more than 10k images on my M5 - which got replaced by the M6. It is a very handy camera and it delivers excellent images... It is by fare too good as an entry level system.

But I do want to get more good glass. The zooms are ok, but a nice 50 and 85 f1.4 would be just awesome... tiny light and a bit affordable....

The M6 falls flat on its face if you need an eye level viewfinder and a hot shoe to control external flashes. You can have one or the other, but you can't have both at the same time with the M6.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
So much low end action
I am jealous waiting for the high end mirrorless options. The rf lenses look great but we just need the following popular bodies as an RF

7d mark
5D mark
1D

this is the holy trinity of bodies
The high megapixel RF is not a high volume camera or very important
Well, for some of us who mainly shoot landscapes it is.

In fact, I do not shoot sports or wildlife for a living, so I don't need a 6K 1D body and my 7D body sat in a drawer most of the time. And if you actually shoot the EOS R, you will see it IS functionally a "5D" body, only better. IMHO, all it needs is a little better weather sealing, next get sensor and a few minor ergonomic fixes and we are good to go.

Not sure of sales figures for the 5DSR, but I bet they sold more of those than 1DX II's just given the target market and price. Then again, maybe not...

Upvote 0
I don't even need a viewfinder, 99% of time I don't use use it in landscape photography. Something like M6 but FF would be very nice to have, but Canon doesn't offer anything like that unfortunately. I was seriously thinking about getting an M6 but decided to wait for the promised high res R camera.

Upvote 0
"The EOS M5 isn’t going to get a Mark II version according to Canon "

To be accurate, Canon never stated this - Canon USA (and USA only) stated that the M6 Mark II effectively replaces the M5 and M6.

Too bad. M6 was a non-starter for me. M5 replacement would have opened my wallet. For me, the camera ***must*** have an integrated viewfinder.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Too bad. M6 was a non-starter for me. M5 replacement would have opened my wallet. For me, the camera ***must*** have an integrated viewfinder.

It's not quite a "must" for me, but I definitely understand this. I have a hard time understanding this decision by Canon (unless, it's in the pipeline and we just don't know about it yet).

Another one that makes me scratch my head is why the M50 has the full-blown flippy screen yet the M6II doesn't. (If anything it should be the other way around.) I'd really like that (but it's not an absolute deal breaker) if nothing else so that I can protect the screen.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

As a hapyy M5 Owner I hope that there will be a successor with built in EVF and with an articulating screen some time in the future. I'm not in a hurry at all to update my M5. Sure, the M6II spec sheet is tempting (and i think I could rethink the buitl-in EVF), but I do not need the high frames/s and the improved video specs at all. So I can easily wait another year or even two and see what will come from Canon. Normally I do skip at least one generation because most of the time I can't justify the direct successor for my kind of photography. But the new sensor tech in the M6II could be enough for a justification. If there won't be a M5II within the next one or one and a half years, I can imagine to get a M6II (perhaps a used one).

Frank

Upvote 0
Well, for some of us who mainly shoot landscapes it is.

In fact, I do not shoot sports or wildlife for a living, so I don't need a 6K 1D body and my 7D body sat in a drawer most of the time. And if you actually shoot the EOS R, you will see it IS functionally a "5D" body, only better. IMHO, all it needs is a little better weather sealing, next get sensor and a few minor ergonomic fixes and we are good to go.

Not sure of sales figures for the 5DSR, but I bet they sold more of those than 1DX II's just given the target market and price. Then again, maybe not...

I wish we model specific sales data but the best that’s available is when websites rank the sales of their canon cameras
The 5dsr does not rank well but this could be for several reasons and I admit this proxy is not complete data. Canons cheaper cameras are their sales leaders.

but I do stand bye the holy trinity of professional canon cameras historically being the 1D, 5D Mark, and 7d. The 5dsr has not broken into that trinity. But with RF things will probably change. It’s not clear how the new models will be positioned.

Upvote 0
I would have rather the M6 II have a flippy screen but I'm not really that troubled with what it has.

Built in EVF? I'm not too fussed there, I find the removable advantageous occasionally.

Okay look there is no doubt in my mind the M6 II is actually supposed to be a "Hey this is what's coming" kind of camera to show that yes, Canon is taking mirrorless seriously and to maybe even get sales while we wait for the actual camera we want from Canon. I think the M6 II is simply worth it to learn how mirrorless really works - I'm waiting for real replacement to the 7D II and I suspect it'll be in RF.

And yeah okay it's not the camera I want but..... you know what? It's a bloody good thing.

Proof is pixel peep this link - straight out of the camera, no adjustments, no cropping. 100-400 II / M6 II. Handheld, I was panning fairly quickly.

It's not the perfect shot by any means but look at the detail the sensor can do. Borrow one, try it out. Sure it's prolly for most going to be a stop gap till the R line has more in it but it's worth it and it'll be a great backup.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I agree its an entry level system - a gateway to a future mount for the novices, and to the serious amateur or professional its a smaller kit for leisure time or travel (have it on me all the time camera). In my opinion that is the only logical explanation for why we haven't seen a more broad lens offering than what's already available.

I'm in the market to grab a 2nd hand M50, and must say I'm not really concerned about lens selection. I would only want the 22 f/2, and essentially use it as a compact fixed lens 35mm equivalent camera (albeit with the option to change lenses, should circumstances change - unlike the fuji x100 series etc). That's just me, but I have a feeling Canon is telling a M series owner or prospective owner that if you want more native lens selection then move up to RF.

At the moment it is pretty obvious that Canon is not "serious" about APS-C.
It depends on what you mean by serious. If serious means making their M (for mobile) system into something tor folks who carry around a steamer trunk full of lenses, then I agree. If serious means selling a lot of cameras to folks who want to take a really good camera along that is small enough to carry most anywhere, then, I would say they are quite serious. Most people only carry one lens when traveling and at the most two (a zoom and something fast). For me, that would be the 18-150 and either the 22 or 32. I might well eschew the prime (or take the tiny 22)and take the 11-22 instead because it is such a great lens and so often useful. BTW, I have almost all the M lenses and do use them when nearby. Also have the Viltrox speed booster and note that it works quite well with both the nifty 50 and the 40mm pancake and those are both very portable combinations.

Upvote 0