Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
The question for 1DX3 users is: are RF superwhites a must for leaving 1DX-land?

I'm no pro, but I would assume that when Canon is ready to introduce a 1-level RF they will have had their engineering intern draw up the lengthened rear housing that is all the 400 IS III needs to be produced as a dedicated RF. (They'll also sell me the conversion service). One mechanical metal part with the exact same design except for an inch stretch in one section, plus maybe an inch longer flex circuits to reach the mount.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I don’t understand what you’re getting at.

The 1DX3’s performance in live view looks awesome. A mirrorless camera is pretty similar to a DSLR in live view mode.

An EOS R camera with the same specs as the 1DX3 in live view mode would be really good.
Maybe, but who will buy it if it comes with the 1DX3 price and a mediocre EVF?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Growing up in the Los Angeles Metroplex I can roundly say that Compton, Hawaiian Gardens, Skid Row, East LA et all, (which I frequented often), and west 7th street in San Bernardino were not safe to hang around at all with anything of value on display. Hard to run away and conceal with a tripod in hand. Las Vegas isn't much better.

That said, Detroit is a whole other world and I have visited there too.
Try going to an early-bird in Miami Beach. You'll need your tripod just to keep your place in line...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
OK, that's a big surprise. What did you get instead because we all know you don't like the EVF's ?:)

I sold my 5DIII and got an R. I liked it so much that when the holiday discounts had it below $1500 USD, I bought another, and now the 5DIV is gone too.

There are things about this EVF I don't like, but I get better results for portraits than I did with any other camera. I do still have an 80D, and I've kept a few EF lenses that balance and perform well on the R.

This is a leap for me. But I have to look at what is producing the best results, and which lenses I rarely use. (In my case, the wonderful 100-400mm II has also been sold.) And I also am considering what will happen to the total value of the gear I have now. It won't go up, and any repairs that come up will further diminish their resale value. We seem to be at an inflection point with Canon gear. Lenses are not investments, but one can reduce the cost of ownership by selling before they depreciate too far. Even more so for bodies, which can quickly dwindle to failing junk bond status!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I sold my 5DIII and got an R. I liked it so much that when the holiday discounts had it below $1500 USD, I bought another, and now the 5DIV is gone too.

There are things about this EVF I don't like, but I get better results for portraits than I did with any other camera. I do still have an 80D, and I've kept a few EF lenses that balance and perform well on the R.

This is a leap for me. But I have to look at what is producing the best results, and which lenses I rarely use. (In my case, the wonderful 100-400mm II has also been sold.) And I also am considering what will happen to the total value of the gear I have now. It won't go up, and any repairs that come up will further diminish their resale value. We seem to be at an inflection point with Canon gear. Lenses are not investments, but one can reduce the cost of ownership by selling before they depreciate too far. Even more so for bodies, which can quickly dwindle to failing junk bond status!
It has been fun watching your evolution. ;) To me, the R is a real bargain of a camera; especially now. I also came from a 5D III and have not regretted the switch at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Try going to an early-bird in Miami Beach. You'll need your tripod just to keep your place in line...

When was the last time you've been to Miami Beach? Any retirees that still live there have chefs working for them, and housekeepers driven by chauffeurs to gourmet grocery stores. The early-bird special is extinct on the Beach.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
When was the last time you've been to Miami Beach? Any retiree's that still live there have chef's working for them, and housekeepers driven by chauffeurs to gourmet grocery stores. The early-bird special is extinct on the Beach.
They've all moved to The Villages and "early bird" has a whole new meaning. ;) Shwing!

Seriously though, I would dearly love to move back to Ocala.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
When was the last time you've been to Miami Beach? Any retirees that still live there have chefs working for them, and housekeepers driven by chauffeurs to gourmet grocery stores. The early-bird special is extinct on the Beach.
Miami Beach and South Beach are not the same...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Using the EVF for a long period of time will strain your eyes, unlike the OVF.
I'd like to see a real study on this rather than assumptions. I honestly cannot tell the difference myself. At least not with the R as compared to the 5D III I used to have. It would seem that staring through any viewfinder for extended periods might strain the eyes. Now, the EVF on my Olympus sucks.

Upvote 0
he said HIS lenses have IS and HE is using a tripod - so IBIS is not so important for HIM. Depending on your photography subjects it's important to some and not important to others. Pleae stop with this nonsense of saying IBIS is a requirement. It's helpful for some and not required for others.
All of my lenses have 4-5 stops of stabilization built in so having IBS is not a huge deal breaker for me. I don't shoot much video, most of my work is photos although I am starting to do some video with macro.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'd like to see a real study on this rather than assumptions. I honestly cannot tell the difference myself. At least not with the R as compared to the 5D III I used to have. It would seem that staring through any viewfinder for extended periods might strain the eyes. Now, the EVF on my Olympus sucks.
The EVF on your OLY has always sucked

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Miami Beach and South Beach are not the same...
North Beach/North Shore? Normandy Isle? Could be a few hanging on for dear life, homesteaded in for over 30 years...Further North? Surfside? Sunny Isles?

Are there still some early-bird specials up there? Hard to believe, but if you are enjoying them, it must be so!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It has been fun watching your evolution. ;) To me, the R is a real bargain of a camera; especially now. I also came from a 5D III and have not regretted the switch at all.
I wanted to feel this way, especially after my good friend CFB went the same route. However my experience was different and I didn't drop the coin. (All physical/hardware/ergonomic based- but that is how I roll) I read all the time of 5D4 shooters on the fence, so I understand the 5D3 move, it's a leap, if it fits.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Using the EVF for a long period of time will strain your eyes, unlike the OVF.
Personally, when shooting any kind of camera, I don't live with my to the viewfinder. Coincidentally, I don't have the patience to wait for birds to do something, so I've never been a wildlife photographer.

As for eye-strain from too much screen time, I'd bet that you'd have a very hard time convincing CR hardcore regulars of that, seeing as we seem to be looking at some kind of screen all day long. Including the one you are reading right now!

• Haha
Upvote 0