Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<em><strong>UPDATE</strong></em></p>
<p>The Speedlite 600EX II-RT will get the following new accessories as well.</p>
<ul>
<li>Color filter(s)</li>
<li>Bounce adaptor</li>
<li>Compact battery pack</li>
</ul>
<p>We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-speedlite-600ex-rt-ii-coming-soon-cr2/">reported a few days ago</a> that Canon was going to announce a follow-up to the Speedlite 600 EX-RT, and the specifications have now leaked out ahead of the imminent announcement.</p>
<p><strong>Speedlite 600EX II-RT </strong>(Google translated)</p>
<ul>
<li>Covers the angle of view of 20mm-200mm</li>
<li>Coverage of 197ft / 60M (ISO100)</li>
<li>Continuous firing is 1.5 times faster from 1.1 (CP-E4N 2 times faster at the time of use)</li>
<li>Up to 5 can control the flash of the group</li>
<li>Dust and water resistent</li>
<li>The new design of the accessories group</li>
<li>Dot matrix type liquid crystal panel</li>
<li>15 types of custom functions</li>
<li>Six types of personal function</li>
<li>Can be rotated 180 degrees in either direction</li>
</ul>
<p>Along with a new flash, we get the first macro lens for the EOS M system.</p>
<p><strong>EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM </strong>(Google translated)</p>
<ul>
<li>The world’s lightest macro lens</li>
<li>Hybrid IS</li>
<li>Image stabilization</li>
<li>45mm when converted to APS-C</li>
<li>A built-in macro light. It can automatically illuminate when needed</li>
<li>Maximum magnification is 1:2 times</li>
<li>Autofocus is done with stepping motors</li>
<li>One UD lens and two aspherical lens</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Re: Canon Speedlite 600 EX II-RT & EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS STM Specifications

Interesting innovations.

Honestly I still don't get it to 100% why the 600EX needed a replacement so soon.

rs said:
Built in macro light? ... Hopefully ... there will be two lights, one either side of the center line of the lens.
Yeah. quite interesting feature. I wonder how this will look like.

Woody said:
Sony E-mount 30 mm f/3.5 macro (1:1) lens weighs a mere 138 g.

Can Canon's offering beat that with its in-built macro lights?
Good question. Personally I'd prefer a little bit more weight, if it makes the built quality better.
But if they can do it with that weight... why not.

Upvote 0

Dalantech said:
Would be even more impressed with an refresh of the MT-24EX. It's long overdue for an overhaul.

This is the only flash refresh I'm interested in.

Being the resident macro fundi, what changes would you like to see happen in a MT-24EX mark ii Dalantech?

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Gatekeeper to the Small World
Feb 12, 2015

Sabaki said:
Dalantech said:
Would be even more impressed with an refresh of the MT-24EX. It's long overdue for an overhaul.

Being the resident macro fundi, what changes would you like to see happen in a MT-24EX mark ii Dalantech?

All of the MR-14EX II changes (smaller controller, better controls, quick locking mechanism, better battery compartment door, etc.) plus some changes specific to the MT-24EX:

LED focusing lamps built in to the flash heads, on either side of the flash tubes. Currently diffuser design for the MT-24EX is a PITA due to the modeling lamp being at the top of the heads, above the flash tubes. If there were LEDs on either side of the tubes then they would illuminate the entire diffuser, and diffuser design would be a lot easier.

Deeper notches on the sides of the flash heads to connect a diffuser to. Currently the notches on the MT-24EX are too small and shallow to support any real weight. So maybe better support for third party diffusers (as a way to summarize that one).

A higher guide number, so the flash would have more "stopping power". Flash based macro is just another form of flash based stop motion photography. Not as obvious as stopping a balloon in mid pop, or a bullet as it passes through an apple, but none the less we're all still using the flash to freeze motion. Plus a lot of the macro community these days is shooting hand held. Kinda tough to get images like this one with the camera on a tripod:

Finger Fed Bumblebee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Critter was licking the sugar syrup off of my finger like a kitten drinking milk, so lots of motion in that one.

I know that some peeps will disagree with this last one, but I really want to keep the cords between the controller and the flash heads. Lots of Nikon users out there complaining about the cycle time of the R1C1 wireless macro twin flash, and how it seems to eat batteries.

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015

Flash refresh seems like a bit of a non-event, but thanks to the comments about this rumour in the previous thread, I've "discovered" the Godox range of flashes and accessories, and will be adding some of these to my kit instead of any further 600EX-RTs or refreshed version.

OTOH, this little macro lens could interest me. I recently picked up the M3 S/H for a bargain price, and am keen to grab a native lens or two to use on it.

John, that's a great image!

Cheers,
d.

Upvote 0

So there also seems to be a CP-E4N battery pack coming.
I recently tried two different CP-E4 (one new, one used) and both produced a beep pitching upwards while recharging and then every 15-20s for a short time, while producing some lower buzzing the rest of the time. I hope they fix that for the CP-E4N, together with even faster recharge times.

Upvote 0

Dalantech said:
Sabaki said:
Dalantech said:

All of the MR-14EX II changes (smaller controller, better controls, quick locking mechanism, better battery compartment door, etc.) plus some changes specific to the MT-24EX:

LED focusing lamps built in to the flash heads, on either side of the flash tubes. Currently diffuser design for the MT-24EX is a PITA due to the modeling lamp being at the top of the heads, above the flash tubes. If there were LEDs on either side of the tubes then they would illuminate the entire diffuser, and diffuser design would be a lot easier.

Deeper notches on the sides of the flash heads to connect a diffuser to. Currently the notches on the MT-24EX are too small and shallow to support any real weight. So maybe better support for third party diffusers (as a way to summarize that one).

A higher guide number, so the flash would have more "stopping power". Flash based macro is just another form of flash based stop motion photography. Not as obvious as stopping a balloon in mid pop, or a bullet as it passes through an apple, but none the less we're all still using the flash to freeze motion. Plus a lot of the macro community these days is shooting hand held. Kinda tough to get images like this one with the camera on a tripod:

Finger Fed Bumblebee by John Kimbler, on Flickr

Critter was licking the sugar syrup off of my finger like a kitten drinking milk, so lots of motion in that one.

I know that some peeps will disagree with this last one, but I really want to keep the cords between the controller and the flash heads. Lots of Nikon users out there complaining about the cycle time of the R1C1 wireless macro twin flash, and how it seems to eat batteries.

Interesting read. If the MT-24EXii comes, I'll be replacing my MR-14EX.

I handhold all my bug photos and consider a flash critical to taking these images successfully. Easily the biggest challenge / frustration is diffusion. It is so, so very tough to get it right with the MR-14EX, as the light is direct. I use a polarizing filter which helps to a certain extent but any critter with a reflective surface (ladybugs / beetles / etc) is near impossible to take cleanly.

If Canon manages to make the MT-24EX to your specs, I'd buy one without hesitation.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

Sabaki said:
Dalantech said:
Sabaki said:
Dalantech said:
[snip]
[snip]
If Canon manages to make the MT-24EX to your specs, I'd buy one without hesitation.

Hi guys!
I can understand your passion for macro flashes but maybe after just about 10 posts it's a little bit too early to hijack this thread, isn't it? ;)

Upvote 0

Maximilian said:
Sabaki said:
Dalantech said:
Sabaki said:
Dalantech said:
[snip]
[snip]

Hi guys!
I can understand your passion for macro flashes but maybe after just about 10 posts it's a little bit too early to hijack this thread, isn't it? ;)

My apologies sir :)

I forget my place here

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Feb 12, 2015

d said:
...OTOH, this little macro lens could interest me. I recently picked up the M3 S/H for a bargain price, and am keen to grab a native lens or two to use on it.

John, that's a great image!

Cheers,
d.

Thanks!

At first I thought that the lens was a disappointment due to the 1:2 magnification, but at that focal length shooting half life size might be tough -me thinks that the working distance is gonna be short.

Upvote 0

Dalantech

Feb 12, 2015

Sabaki said:
...I handhold all my bug photos and consider a flash critical to taking these images successfully. Easily the biggest challenge / frustration is diffusion. It is so, so very tough to get it right with the MR-14EX, as the light is direct. I use a polarizing filter which helps to a certain extent but any critter with a reflective surface (ladybugs / beetles / etc) is near impossible to take cleanly.

I ran into the same issues when I shot with the MR-14EX.

Upvote 0

Huh. Intriguing.

I wasn't super excited by this EF-M lens at first, macro is not very high on my priorities ... but now my interest is piqued. Hybrid IS, built-in light, and a super light lens ... the 1:2 max magnification is a touch underwhelming, but otherwise, could be a really fun lens to take along on a hike. Let's see the price, now.

In any case, always happy to see more EF-M lenses. Bring 'em on, Canon !

Upvote 0

From a focal length/angle of view perspective, this really isn't too different than the Sony APSC mirrorless macro lens, except that lens goes 1:1. Obviously having built-in light could be hugely advantageous but given the light weight of the lens, I wouldn't expect miracles.

Also, for those calling for changes to this lens already which would effect the weight, keep in mind Canon's intentions for the M series thus far - LIGHT WEIGHT. That's the name of the game for them, at least when it comes to lenses. They're using larger apertures and shorter focal ranges (on the zooms) to minimize the weight of the glass in several cases. f/6.3 on the long end and 15-45 instead of 15-85, for instance.

Here's a review of the Sony macro lens for their mirrorless system.

http://sonyalphalab.com/product-review/sony-e-mount-30mm-f3-5-macro-lens-sel30m35-hands-on-review/

Of note to me, the images of their eyes at macro distance included the lens resting on their nose and almost touching their eyes. That's how close you'd have to be for 1:1. 1:2, I suspect, won't be too far off from that.

Upvote 0