Update: Canon Speedlite 600 EX II-RT & EF-M 28mm f/3.5 IS STM Specifications

d

Mar 8, 2015
kphoto99 said:
d said:
caMARYnon said:
another plus for mark II: made in china instead of japan.

Less earthquakes there, perhaps?

Some brilliant people here on CR have stated that they would never buy any China made stuff for their Canon camera.
What will they do now :eek:

There will be a run on the final stock the 600EX-RT Mk 1's, as the Chinaphobes stock up...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
d said:
kphoto99 said:
d said:
caMARYnon said:
another plus for mark II: made in china instead of japan.

Less earthquakes there, perhaps?

Some brilliant people here on CR have stated that they would never buy any China made stuff for their Canon camera.
What will they do now :eek:

There will be a run on the final stock the 600EX-RT Mk 1's, as the Chinaphobes stock up...

Sinophobia aside, if the launch of the MkII results in a price drop on the original, I'll likely pick up a few more.

Upvote 0
In terms of the macro focal length I think you need to consider potential use. Its not going to be great for insects of course but then again you could argue to do that well you need to be ALOT longer than 28mm on ASPC, probably more like 100mm.

I'v got an old GXR with the 33mm macro unit and that actually works very well on casual flower/fungi, hand holding a small body means getting in close isn't such an issue(not having to worry about tripod position) and has the advantage its less likely other vegetation will get in your way. Granted the Ricoh is only a 1:2 macro not 1.2:1 as the Canon is but with the ring light and IS I think shading and having to stop down a bit further would be less of an issue.

Generally I think the M system whilst not massive is moving in the kind of direction mirrroless should if its going to take up the mass market, Its less about creating "objects of desire" for gearheads and more about creating well performing lenses that people actually need for decent prices.

Upvote 0

dufflover

OH YEAH!
Nov 10, 2013
Australia
I haven't touched my old Tamron 90mm macro in ages, but the IS and built-in light make this pretty tempting to get just for the heck of it! (if AU price is good)

Common sense is I shouldn't though; I impulse bought the 50mm STM for similar reasons (cheap decent replacement) but in the end, never really used the 50mm/1.8, haven't used the STM one at all since getting it and testing it either!
#firstworldproblems

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
dufflover said:
I haven't touched my old Tamron 90mm macro in ages, but the IS and built-in light make this pretty tempting to get just for the heck of it! (if AU price is good)

I'd be surprised to get much change from AUD $500 given the state of the currency at the moment. Does't seem quite as much of a bargain around that figure (but better than the UK!)

d.

Upvote 0