Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

DJPatte

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jul 10, 2020
Sweden
Can anyone explain the difference between “internal RAW video” and “RAW internal movie recording” stated in the post..? It’s just a typo right..?

Cyborx

EOS 90D
Feb 3, 2019
Fingers crossed for a reasonable selling price. After forking out for the 1dx mkiii last year the chances of persuading the boss that this is a must have could be difficult especially if its over £5k.
Forget it bro! It will be 5999 euro’s. R1 will be 10k euro’s. Canon will always shock you with +20% on top of what is reasonable, when it comes to pricing.

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
My dream APS-C camera would probably cost close to the R5 as it would have high megapixels on a BSI stacked sensor with quad pixel AF, deep learning, etc in a rugged body like the R3. So yeah, sub $4k by maybe not sub $3k. Obviously I would prefer for the cost to be lower, but this dream camera would have all the highest specs so it would have a high cost (again, a camera I am making up, not something I expect to see anytime soon.)
Me too , and it would sell pretty well as it would be better than any other camera for wildlife especially birds so even if it's really expensive it would be worth the money to me at least (although my wife would say no way , what's wrong with the camera you've got ?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Make this one affordable Canon!!!!
Don't hold your breath , Canon and all the other camera companies have to make the most margin they can on all these amazing cameras which cost a fortune to develop and sell in pretty small numbers

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Very high resolution only slows down the performance in every part of the work flow which is what the professionals definitely don't want , they want faster work flow to beat their competition
There's technical workarounds. An 80MP camera could easily have a down-sample setting that outputs only 20MP raw for people who want that. Or forget the DNG and just use a JPG file if you're so much more about file size/speed than IQ.

Proscribo

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2015
Well we have no idea how fast it's scan speed is, the A1 is 1/240, the A9 1/160. The R3 will be a first gen stacked sensor, itmay have much lower DR than the A1, more like the A9. The faster clocked ADC's caused more read noise in the A9 which is why it's DR was only on par with the 5DIV. The A1 is more like 14.5EV. I'll be happy with anyhting over 13.5EV DR from the R3 and 1/150scan speed, but hopefully they can do 1/200 or faster.
Uhh we can't really know which "gen" of stacked sensor it is unless Canon tells us. Yeah it's a Canon first, but if it is similar to the latest large Sony stacked sensors calling it "1st gen" is kinda misleading. If I had to guess then I'd say it's probably slower to read than a1 but since it has less pixels full scan time would be similar (I feel being able to match mechanical shutter is kinda important).

Reactions: 1 user

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
It is also clear you may not understand market segmentation
or gosh, maybe it's YOU who do not understand market segmentation?

If Canon is releasing two cameras, they can target each at a specific segment, as in EOS-1D and EOS-1Dx: one for the fast/lower-IQ crowd and one for the slow/higher-IQ crowd.

But if there's only one camera, then segmenting narrowly leaves a segment unserved.

The proposal is that it'd make sense to have a sock with some elastic in it, that's one-size-fits-all. You're arguing we should instead have socks that only fit one specific foot size, and gosh, it just happens to be YOUR FOOT that you propose as the size it should fit.

Canon obviously wouldn't purposefully leave half the high-end shooters unserved were it avoidable, and limiting a body's appeal via a "market segmentation" strategy would be doing so purposefully if you couldn't afford to cater to all segments. Clearly they'd offer a slow/higher-IQ model if they could afford two models at once, and thus serve both high-end market segments. Failing that, they'd offer a single body useable by both market segments if they could engineer it to be affordable. (EG, an 80MP camera that could produce 20MP raw files if you wanted, thus giving low-IQ shooters a fast workflow while giving high-IQ shooters their MP.) Since they're not doing that, we have to conclude it'd cost too much. Which leaves Canon ignoring half the high-end shooters, but due to technical limitations, not due to some marketing strategy.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Technology has improved but physics hasn't : smaller files can be processed faster than larger files .
Technology, AND physics (!!, where do you get this shit) would trivially allow a high MP camera to produce a low MP file. For instance cutting height and width by half doesn't even require multiplies or divides, just addition and a bit shift. What law of physics would that break, exactly?

The reason not to do it isn't that technology or physics prevents Canon from doing so, but for business/economics/manufacturing reasons. (EG, since Canon is just starting to make backside sensors they're starting with 30MP not 120MP as a learning curve. Or they could do 120MP but it would be too expensive for the fast/low-IQ shooters. Or would take too long time to market.)

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
They want to protect the 1Dx3's market value by calling it the flagship, but how can a camera with an obsolete mount be considered a flagship? The R3 will beat the 1Dx3 in almost every way, so it will be the flagship until the R1 arrives.
Yeah, I had to block some morons here who claim that the EF-mount bodies and lenses are still for sale therefore they're not obsolete. Since when has a viable camera line not had a single new product for three years straight, while another camera line by the same manufacturer has had five bodies and a dozen lenses?

In many ways even the R beat the 1Dx3, even. Much less the R3.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Two things I am missing in this spec, GPS and ISO range.
The ISO range is kind of tricky, since any digital camera could have ISO settings of the millions or billions and produce SOME kind of image, even if noisy one-bit DR. What I'd really like is a graph of the dynamic range per ISO.

Reactions: 2 users

Cyborx

EOS 90D
Feb 3, 2019
Don't hold your breath , Canon and all the other camera companies have to make the most margin they can on all these amazing cameras which cost a fortune to develop and sell in pretty small numbers
Do you know why they sell in small numbers? Because Sony has made a mirrorless 50mp camera years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

EOS 4 Life

EOS R
Sep 20, 2020
This camera is currently in tester's hands...how do I know? Well, Vanessa Joy broke embargo on her Instagram a few days ago and has since deleted the post. But it was her dancing with the R3 to the song "Can't Touch This" and would show the camera logo everytime the beat would stop. Funny, annoying, but also great to see because I QUICKLY made the financial moves I needed to make in order to purchase the camera and lens.
It makes me think that development was underway before the Nikon Z9 announcement so 8K may have never been considered.
If R5c is under development then it makes sense to not consider 8K for the R3 at all.
I have no doubt that the R1 is under development but products in early testing usually have code names.
People who were testing the R3 could have thought they were testing the R1 and some of the rumors may have gotten crossed.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah, I had to block some morons here who claim that the EF-mount bodies and lenses are still for sale therefore they're not obsolete. Since when has a viable camera line not had a single new product for three years straight, while another camera line by the same manufacturer has had five bodies and a dozen lenses?
The best-selling ILC in Japan last month (and the month before) was the EOS 250D / SL3, a DSLR that launched 2 years ago. Is everyone buying all those obsolete cameras a moron? Of course not. But then, who is? Yeah.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users