Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

Fingers crossed for a reasonable selling price. After forking out for the 1dx mkiii last year the chances of persuading the boss that this is a must have could be difficult especially if its over £5k.
Forget it bro! It will be 5999 euro’s. R1 will be 10k euro’s. Canon will always shock you with +20% on top of what is reasonable, when it comes to pricing.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
My dream APS-C camera would probably cost close to the R5 as it would have high megapixels on a BSI stacked sensor with quad pixel AF, deep learning, etc in a rugged body like the R3. So yeah, sub $4k by maybe not sub $3k. Obviously I would prefer for the cost to be lower, but this dream camera would have all the highest specs so it would have a high cost (again, a camera I am making up, not something I expect to see anytime soon.)
Me too , and it would sell pretty well as it would be better than any other camera for wildlife especially birds so even if it's really expensive it would be worth the money to me at least (although my wife would say no way , what's wrong with the camera you've got ?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Oh, this cripple hammer nonsense. Half of the people want double CF express and half want CF + SD. How do you please both? Nikon had the best solution, offer 2 versions of the camera with different card configurations.
Best is to have both card types for each slots! Like in the Sony A1! This is the best!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Well we have no idea how fast it's scan speed is, the A1 is 1/240, the A9 1/160. The R3 will be a first gen stacked sensor, itmay have much lower DR than the A1, more like the A9. The faster clocked ADC's caused more read noise in the A9 which is why it's DR was only on par with the 5DIV. The A1 is more like 14.5EV. I'll be happy with anyhting over 13.5EV DR from the R3 and 1/150scan speed, but hopefully they can do 1/200 or faster.
Uhh we can't really know which "gen" of stacked sensor it is unless Canon tells us. Yeah it's a Canon first, but if it is similar to the latest large Sony stacked sensors calling it "1st gen" is kinda misleading. If I had to guess then I'd say it's probably slower to read than a1 but since it has less pixels full scan time would be similar (I feel being able to match mechanical shutter is kinda important).

Upvote 0
Don't hold your breath , Canon and all the other camera companies have to make the most margin they can on all these amazing cameras which cost a fortune to develop and sell in pretty small numbers
Do you know why they sell in small numbers? Because Sony has made a mirrorless 50mp camera years ago.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
This camera is currently in tester's hands...how do I know? Well, Vanessa Joy broke embargo on her Instagram a few days ago and has since deleted the post. But it was her dancing with the R3 to the song "Can't Touch This" and would show the camera logo everytime the beat would stop. Funny, annoying, but also great to see because I QUICKLY made the financial moves I needed to make in order to purchase the camera and lens.
It makes me think that development was underway before the Nikon Z9 announcement so 8K may have never been considered.
If R5c is under development then it makes sense to not consider 8K for the R3 at all.
I have no doubt that the R1 is under development but products in early testing usually have code names.
People who were testing the R3 could have thought they were testing the R1 and some of the rumors may have gotten crossed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah, I had to block some morons here who claim that the EF-mount bodies and lenses are still for sale therefore they're not obsolete. Since when has a viable camera line not had a single new product for three years straight, while another camera line by the same manufacturer has had five bodies and a dozen lenses?
The best-selling ILC in Japan last month (and the month before) was the EOS 250D / SL3, a DSLR that launched 2 years ago. Is everyone buying all those obsolete cameras a moron? Of course not. But then, who is? Yeah.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
In theory better iso performance and so increased DR. In reality the benefits of BSI are much bigger the smaller the sensor so the improvements in ISO performance and DR will be incremental not revolutionary.
BSI is a fancy way of saying that most of the electronics are on the side that does not get exposed to light.
It is counterintuitive to me because I think of the side that captures light as the front side.
With the electronics out of the way, there is less interference to the photosites which actually capture the image.
A stacked sensor has to be BSI.
Having extra layers blocking the photosites who not really be feasible.

The best-selling ILC in Japan last month was the EOS 250D / SL3, which launched 2 years ago. Is everyone buying all those obsolete cameras a moron? If not, who is? Yeah.
Rebel T7 was the best-selling in the USA the last time that I checked.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I think Canon will consider the R1 to be their Flagship professional sports camera as they've already stated that the R3 is not their flagship model and is not a replacement for the 1DXiii .
Canon will make a high resolution model based on the R5 but they won't call it R1 : perhaps R5S or R5SR and it may have 80-90mp.

I predict the R1 will have :
24mp stacked BSI sensor
40fps
dual Digic X processors
dual CF Express card slots
I think the R1 will be around 50mp given the Sony a1 and Nikon Z9 are/will be in that range. The R1 will have to directly compete with the a1 and Z9. However, I also think the R1 will have a variable resolution option, so you can shoot in lower res if that is what you want/need. With dual processors and a stacked BSI sensor a 50mp R1 will be able to do everything a 20mp 1DxIII can do and more and give the photographer more options in doing it. Just my opinion. We will see in a couple of years.

Upvote 0
Liking these specs. Seems to fit my needs, most of them, in a main camera, like a glove. For anyone complaining about the resolution; do you remember when Nikon released the D700? At a time when FF went to 20+ MP they went back to 12MP and everyone loved it.

Thinking this also serves to test the waters with things like eye-controlled AF for the R1. Which will likely blow the competition away.

Too bad serious photography magazines died in favour of click-focused, mostly brand-biased, crap online but I'm still looking forward to reading the reviews.

• Haha
Upvote 0