Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Glad to hear it is being announced at the end of June. A bit sooner than I anticipated. Hopefully, this means that it will ship in late August / early September at the latest. Would be thrilled to see it released in early August.

Whenever it happens to ship, sadly, I wouldn't put odds on regular people being able to buy one until 2022.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
who needs to run 120fps 4k that long? What are you filming full sports in 120?
Many people. Just because you don't see the need doesn't mean it isn't useful. Canon decided it was a good feature to put on the R5, C70, and C300mk3. You realize there are cameras that do 240fps, 1000fps and more.....

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Whenever it happens to ship, sadly, I wouldn't put odds on regular people being able to buy one until 2022.
A manager at a store local to me said he was expecting an announcement in August with availability by October. Obviously the announcement guess was off by at least 5 weeks, but in a good way. Hoping these start getting to people in September-October.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
who needs to run 120fps 4k that long? What are you filming full sports in 120?
It is not that I need 120 FPS for long but I need it when I need it.
Before they added 1080 120p I was not sure that super slow motion would be available.
I am a hybrid shooter and can't always turn my camera off between takes.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I just kept thinking "please let it be more than 30MP". Now, here we are at 30.1.

But even if it is "just" 30MP, I am sure it will be fabulous. Just not quite as exciting for getting close to birds, but hopefully even better AF and image quality to make up for it.
I know no one camera can be ‘the one’ for everybody, but if the R3 is close to 30mp it hits the sweetest spot for me personaly.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
This camera is currently in tester's hands...how do I know? Well, Vanessa Joy broke embargo on her Instagram a few days ago and has since deleted the post. But it was her dancing with the R3 to the song "Can't Touch This" and would show the camera logo everytime the beat would stop. Funny, annoying, but also great to see because I QUICKLY made the financial moves I needed to make in order to purchase the camera and lens.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Can anyone remind me of the advantages of "30.1mp backside illuminated image sensor (A Canon first)"?
In theory better iso performance and so increased DR. In reality the benefits of BSI are much bigger the smaller the sensor so the improvements in ISO performance and DR will be incremental not revolutionary.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This camera is currently in tester's hands...how do I know? Well, Vanessa Joy broke embargo on her Instagram a few days ago and has since deleted the post. But it was her dancing with the R3 to the song "Can't Touch This" and would show the camera logo everytime the beat would stop. Funny, annoying, but also great to see because I QUICKLY made the financial moves I needed to make in order to purchase the camera and lens.
Sure hope those TS lenses with AF debut

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

I don't think showing the camera is breaking the embargo tho. She did not switch it on or share any specs.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Can anyone remind me of the advantages of "30.1mp backside illuminated image sensor (A Canon first)"?
This is a backside illuminated but, more importantly, it's a stacked sensor. This should result in performance on par with the Sony A1. I am hopeful we see it perform even better than the A1 - especially in low light. The main benefits to this stacked sensor design is extremely fast readout speeds - think minimal visual distortion with electronic shutter - and, on paper, backside illumination should reduce image noise. I stress "on paper" because that has been the idea from Sony for its sensors using this design, but it hasn't really demonstrated a monumental leap in the real world. I would argue that the stacked sensor readout speed is the most important aspect of all of this.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
In theory better iso performance and so increased DR. In reality the benefits of BSI are much bigger the smaller the sensor so the improvements in ISO performance and DR will be incremental not revolutionary.
True. The BSI also allows for stacked processing circuitry immediately behind the sensor since it would no longer block the sensor (as in the old FSI design), which allows for faster performance. In the future, it should also make it easier to manufacture higher MP sensors as well as QP sensors. Woo-hoo - Canon finally joined the BSI express world!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
This is a backside illuminated but, more importantly, it's a stacked sensor. This should result in performance on par with the Sony A1. I am hopeful we see it perform even better than the A1 - especially in low light. The main benefits to this stacked sensor design is extremely fast readout speeds - think minimal visual distortion with electronic shutter - and, on paper, backside illumination should reduce image noise. I stress "on paper" because that has been the idea from Sony for its sensors using this design, but it hasn't really demonstrated a monumental leap in the real world. I would argue that the stacked sensor readout speed is the most important aspect of all of this.
The R5 is already better than the A1. https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS R5,Sony ILCE-1

1624659944927.png

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0