*UPDATED* Big Megapixel Camera Next Week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dgsphto

KrisU said:
With four card slots they could implement RAID 5. ;D

I know you are joking about the raid, but it could really be an option too (that would be customizable by the users).

At the moment, it seems separate file writes though....for ex. Buffer has 30 images in the queue to be written to the cards, it starts writing alternate ones to both the cards parallely. Thus a file resides entirely on one card but the collection of images is split between the multiple cards.

Upvote 0
K

KrisU

dgsphto said:
KrisU said:

I know you are joking about the raid, but it could really be an option too (that would be customizable by the users).

At the moment, it seems separate file writes though....for ex. Buffer has 30 images in the queue to be written to the cards, it starts writing alternate ones to both the cards parallely. Thus a file resides entirely on one card but the collection of images is split between the multiple cards.

I am only partially joking about RAID. It certainly solves the data integrity problem (i.e. one card fails, but no images are lost), and it could help alleviate some of the throughput problems (I'm not sure exactly where the bottleneck is, though).

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

Re: Big Megapixel Camera Next Week.

c-law said:
If you release the 1D first all the pros buy it as it is the best most modern camera available to them. Then when the 5D is released, the people who were always too poor to buy the 1Ds will buy that and the people who could afford both will buy it too.

Consider an alternative line of thinking. Canon has already established the precedent that there would be a 5D3 which has the same resolution as a 1Ds4. The professionals' current cameras are presumably still taking pictures so, unless they are losing business because their clients demand the latest and greatest, they don't actually have to buy anything. They can just wait a year for the 5D3 and save themselves some money.

Even if Canon announced that there will be no 5D3, they wouldn't be believed. (Nikonians are still waiting for the D700x and D700s.) Introducing the 5D3 first or simultaneously makes a very public statement about what it is.

Upvote 0
D

dgsphto

KrisU said:
dgsphto said:
KrisU said:

I am only partially joking about RAID. It certainly solves the data integrity problem (i.e. one card fails, but no images are lost), and it could help alleviate some of the throughput problems (I'm not sure exactly where the bottleneck is, though).

In that case you will have to use the camera as a reader. As you already know, Striped cards will not be read individually. Users will have to chose between speed (buffer writes alternate files to separate cards parallely) or security (same file is written to both the cards).

I think the current more common scheme is Jpeg on 1 and Raw on the other.

Upvote 0
J

JasonM

dgsphto said:
rocketdesigner said:
It makes absolute perfect sense to announce the Pro body first...to get it into the hands of the Pro photographers who will be walking advertisements for Canon at next year's Olympics.

Oh, they will probably have both the bodies available by then allright! It's just the launch and initial avaiability could be staggered by a few months.

5D3 (single DIGIC5, 5 fps) and a new FF 1D5 (dual DIGIC5, 9 fps) which will be the single 1D series will be announced together. 7D2 will follow next summer. All will have lower noise and improved DR. All will have improved video to satisfy those that want it but still photo features will never be compromised in favor of video in any Canon DSLR. I have no idea, just throwing it out there.

Upvote 0
J

JasonM

KrisU said:

Minimum for RAID5 is only 3 drives but RAID5 schemes have much slower write speeds than single drives. Also, to take the cards out and read them by a computer you'd also have to have a 3 (or 4) card reader and the order would be important.

Upvote 0
U

ursinus71

@fyngyrz - Not looking for megapixels -- 21 is already too many for FF. Huge files, slow transfers, slow processing.

You just need a faster computer. 21mp is quite zippy on a fast machine. A fast i7, 16gb ram, fast HDD makes all the difference in the world.

@fyngyrz - You know... things that will actually improve the images and the regimes, and the shooting experience, as opposed to giving us, yet again, an even more detailed view of the flaws in the lenses.

Sorry, but this is quite ill-informed. A camera like the 5d2 matched up with even a cheap high quality lens like the 85mm f/1.8 yields absolutely stunning image quality. I think your view is based on rhetoric and stereotypes. Go to DXO labs and look at real data, or look at 100% images from large sensor, large mp cameras, shot with good lenses. You're way off base.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland said:
c-law said:
If you release the 1D first all the pros buy it as it is the best most modern camera available to them. Then when the 5D is released, the people who were always too poor to buy the 1Ds will buy that and the people who could afford both will buy it too.

Consider an alternative line of thinking. Canon has already established the precedent that there would be a 5D3 which has the same resolution as a 1Ds4. The professionals' current cameras are presumably still taking pictures so, unless they are losing business because their clients demand the latest and greatest, they don't actually have to buy anything. They can just wait a year for the 5D3 and save themselves some money.

Even if Canon announced that there will be no 5D3, they wouldn't be believed. (Nikonians are still waiting for the D700x and D700s.) Introducing the 5D3 first or simultaneously makes a very public statement about what it is.
A good take on the issue. I just hear a lot of complaining that the 1Ds is so old and the 5D is so old that I assume there are people out there with money literally burning a hole in their pockets for new tech right now.

If you're willing to wait and you're in it purely for the MP gain then the 1Ds might not tempt you.

Chris

Upvote 0
K

KrisU

JasonM said:
KrisU said:

Minimum for RAID5 is only 3 drives but RAID5 schemes have much slower write speeds than single drives. Also, to take the cards out and read them by a computer you'd also have to have a 3 (or 4) card reader and the order would be important.

RAID 5 performs a (N-1)x the speed of a single drive, for both read and write. IOW, with 4 cards, the performance would be 3x that of a single card. Performance only suffers in the case of a failed card, but that seems like a reasonable tradeoff to me. (Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID)

As was already pointed out, the best option for getting the images off is via a cable from the camera to the computer, which does have some disadvantages.

Upvote 0
G

gene_can_sing

dgsphto said:
Picsfor said:
"since we got the 5D2 - 3 years ago, we haven't sold a single 1DsIII.

The 5Dmk2 was probably closer to the 1Dsmk3 for many people than it was different. That’s why I said that as long as they have enough differentiators, they have the potential for double dip with launching the 5Dmk3 first and then the 1Dsmk4.

I think Canon has learnt their lesson with the 5Dmk2 eating into the 1Dsmk3 sales which is why there was probably a lot of talk about Canon reorganizing the prosumer and pro lines.

Picsfor said:
All i say is - it had better have a dual memory card slot and better focusing, or the D800 is me!

Amen!

I highly doubt they will put Dual Memory slots on the 5D3. That's a feature that will be for the 1D. If they started doing stuff like that, people would have no reason to buy a 1D at all.

I'm still hoping for 2 different 5Ds, 1 for stills and 1 geared more towards video.

Upvote 0
J

JasonM

KrisU said:
JasonM said:
KrisU said:

RAID 5 performs a (N-1)x the speed of a single drive, for both read and write. IOW, with 4 cards, the performance would be 3x that of a single card. Performance only suffers in the case of a failed card, but that seems like a reasonable tradeoff to me. (Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID)

As was already pointed out, the best option for getting the images off is via a cable from the camera to the computer, which does have some disadvantages.

I don't think so... even with the use of dedicated, caching controllers RAID0 doesn't quite get Nx performance increases and without a dedicated hardware RAID controller the "write penalty" of computing and writing the parity bit is large in a RAID5 array. However, I can agree that the write penalty won't be as big writing large image files sequentially so perhaps I overstated by underlining the word "much". But anyway, this issue has been debated ad nauseum by DBAs for a decade and there is no way Canon is going to put 3 card slots on any camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Bob Howland said:
Consider an alternative line of thinking. Canon has already established the precedent that there would be a 5D3 which has the same resolution as a 1Ds4.

Please explain how they established that precedent. The original 5D had lower resolution than the then-current 1Ds model. The 5D Mark II has the same resolution as the current 1Ds model. So, if I flip a coin and it's heads, and the next time it's tails, tails is the precedent, and the third flip will surely be tails? Woah baby, Vegas here I come! The only 'precedent' I see is that the 5DIII will NOT have *more* resolution than the 1DsIV, and even then, n=2 makes for a pretty flimsy precedent.

Upvote 0
K

KrisU

JasonM said:
KrisU said:
JasonM said:
KrisU said:

I don't think so... even with the use of dedicated, caching controllers RAID0 doesn't quite get Nx performance increases and without a dedicated hardware RAID controller the "write penalty" of computing and writing the parity bit is large in a RAID5 array. However, I can agree that the write penalty won't be as big writing large image files sequentially so perhaps I overstated by underlining the word "much". But anyway, this issue has been debated ad nauseum by DBAs for a decade and there is no way Canon is going to put 3 card slots on any camera.

I agree that DBAs despise RAID5, and I also agree that we won't being seeing any flavor of RAID in any camera body anytime soon. :)

Upvote 0
B

Bokehmon

JasonM said:
Canihaspicture said:
Totally agree on the SSD idea... SSDs have faster read/write times than CF.

Only because they use a SATA interface and I believe that is what CFAST uses... ie. a CF card using a SATA interface. Could it be, the next cameras from Canon, Nikon will be using next gen memory cards?

Is there even a point? The 100mb/s on the high end sandisks hardly provide any additional performance. The only thing i can think of that would utilize 100mb/s + would be 4K video ::)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.