Using 1DX in very low temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan708

Less bickering, more shooting
Mar 1, 2012
New Hampshire
I had my Rebel T1i with me for a 2 hour walk in the woods in 15-20 degree(f) and ther LCD got slow and dark, but never stopped working. I also was running a kit 18-55 IS lens and 55-250IS. switched between them a few times, kept the lens not in use in a baggie (to keep pocket lint out) in my outside coat pocket, so the lens would stay cold and dry and not fog. I have also shot multiple long exposures in a row in near zero(f) temps on a tripod with no probs

Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
Last winter I did a little test and kept my 7D outdoors for over two weeks when temperature stayed below -20°C, most of the time closer to or below -30°C, taking pictures with remote control (using WFT-E5) every now and then, and it just kept working. It was hooked to AC power though, batteries would obviously have died in that time. I'm quite sure the 1DX is at least as tough.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2012
Haven't shot with my 6D in that cold yet, but I know that my 7D could take it. I don't think we've seen warmer than -10C in the last 2 weeks here!

I used the 7D more than a few times at -35C/-30f last year. I just left it in my camera bag when I came inside to slow down the warming process, which was probably more than I needed to do.

Here in Canada, we know that our fingers take cold less easily than our gear!

Upvote 0

K3nt

"No good photo goes unnoticed!"
Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
7D+winter = no problem. Last weekend I was out shooting some dog practise in deep snow and I fell over and completely buried my 7D in snow. Wiped it off and continued shooting.
The LCD "froze" after two hours but that didn't hamper shooting at all. Once it warmed up all was well.
I did let the camera dry out a little longer than normal after that snow immersion, but as it was very cold out and my gear was cold too nothing really stuck to the camera. Had the camera and lenses been warm I might have had an issue. It was about -17 degrees celsius at the time.

Upvote 0
I've used my 450D with kit lens at -20 ish, with kit lens, for hours, going in and out of shops/coffee houses in Montreal... it is still working 2 years later... It will be fine! :D

There was an issue now i think about it... at the end of the day 9after walking around all day) the wheel stopped working... but it was fine again the next day... :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.