Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

Spot metering tied to focus point would be a godsend for shooting a subject in front of a bright background with flash. Think of a portrait at sunset. All you see currently through the EVF is a silhouette because the auto-exposed preview when using flash just balances for the overall scene. Impossible to see your subject’s expression. It’s even more annoying in a candid situation where you need to time your shots like reception toasts in front of a bright window. You can use spot metering but it only helps if you compose with the subject dead center of the frame.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
also i do not see a fix for a but that when (at least) EF 70-200 L 2.8 IS II is attached to the camera, and when downloading images to PC via cable, then the IS in ON all the time and makes krrrrr noise, unless I slide the slider on the lens to OFF. During file transfer those things should go OFF automatically, or not even turn on when the cable or PC is detected.
Aren't you still able to shoot pictures despite the download process?

At least when it comes to remote shooting via CCAPI, you can live-view and shoot new pictures and download older pictures in parallel.

Upvote 0
I think it's kind of odd that Canon didn't/ doesn't release any firmware updates for the R/ RP. Yes, I know, being released in Oct. 2018 and spring 2019 means they're basically outdated. But since there have been no successors to both models yet and Canon has released several affordable consumers lenses and probably is going to add the RF 24mm and maybe the RF 18-45mm soon, it would make great sense to show both cameras some love and give them a slight upgrade. Especially the R has a great value with current pricing, with a small firmware update Canon would surely boost its sales.

There's not much that needs to be done there:
- 8 FPS with full auto-focus maybe
- improved eye-AF
- 4k 60 FPS

One of these three suggestions would make for a great firmware update. (and the other ones for update No. 2 & 3 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Add to that better/more options for button customisation.

That big depth of filed preview button that I've never used is crying out to be used as a REC button in video mode.
I just saw a YouTube video a couple days ago from Roberto Valenzuela and he mapped the depth of field preview to do exactly that. He said when he’s shooting (most likely a wedding) and he anticipates action about to happen that he wants to be sure not to miss, he sets the DOF preview to shoot 8K when pressed do he can grab highest quality stills later. So you must be missing something. This was on the R5 maybe your on a different camera.

Upvote 0
Can’t you custom set that now?
Can’t you custom set that now?
yes.
Loved to be told different or better told how but I’ve not found a setting for REC.
It can I saw it in a YouTube video just the other day. Roberto Valenzuela. I think it was in a series of videos he made for custom setting all the menu items. He definitely mapped the DOF preview button to instantly start shooting 8K for frame grabs later when he didn’t want to miss sudden fast action.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The frequently mentioned updates they need (but didn't do here) is to offer different FPS for (continuous shooting) electronic shutter, and remove the 30min record limit.

But I would still like to see an "aperture bracketing" feature offered. You can bracket a lot of things, and I really want to bracket apertures when taking some of my photos!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
With my R5, for BIF shots against a blue sky, I find that partial (manual) metering from the sky, and about plus half a stop of compensation usually does the trick.

Using any kind of automatic metering (P, Av, Tv) is unreliable, as the exposure will then be affected as the background changes (to clouds, clear sky, or forest) while panning.
I agree 100%. The only sure way to get the correct exposure on a BIF is to set the exposure for the bird using M exposure. That way no matter if the background luminosity changes as the bird flies against blue sky then mid-tonal trees and then dark water all within a few seconds of flight time, the exposure on the bird will be correct. Well, as long as you did a good job on setting the exposure. But at least you can't blame your equipment for the bad exposure.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But I would still like to see an "aperture bracketing" feature offered. You can bracket a lot of things, and I really want to bracket apertures when taking some of my photos!
If you’re in Fv mode, have ISO and shuttter speed set to fixed values and aperture set to Auto, then use exposure bracketing, wouldn’t that give you aperture bracketing?

I haven’t tried it, but in Fv with fixed ISO and shutter, applying EC changes the aperture so AEB should do that as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hobby

M50ii 6D RP
Jul 23, 2017
Belgium
I think it's kind of odd that Canon didn't/ doesn't release any firmware updates for the R/ RP. Yes, I know, being released in Oct. 2018 and spring 2019 means they're basically outdated. But since there have been no successors to both models yet and Canon has released several affordable consumers lenses and probably is going to add the RF 24mm and maybe the RF 18-45mm soon, it would make great sense to show both cameras some love and give them a slight upgrade. Especially the R has a great value with current pricing, with a small firmware update Canon would surely boost its sales.

- improved eye-AF
- 4k 60 FPS

One of these three suggestions would make for a great firmware update. (and the other ones for update No. 2 & 3 :)
Exactly. Just a little polish, and we would be so happy.
But you could say the same for the M6 ii. And it won't happen!

Upvote 0
But you could say the same for the M6 ii. And it won't happen!
Sadly, that's true (so far)! But I firmly believe that Canon has to step its game with the M-line and affordable RF mount lenses/ cameras because Nikon has a pretty good selling Z50 now and Sony has an entire line-up. So a little product care here and there would be helpful.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
They further enhanced face and eye AF?! I already thought it was nothing short of amazing.
Eye-AF already works great for humans, and is pretty reliable for cats and dogs.
Most of the time it works on birds too.
But it’s completely useless for hippos and warthogs.
And zebras. Those stripes fool the eye-AF.
I want warthog eye-AF and I want it now.
No excuses.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Hobby

M50ii 6D RP
Jul 23, 2017
Belgium
Sadly, that's true (so far)! But I firmly believe that Canon has to step its game with the M-line and affordable RF mount lenses/ cameras because Nikon has a pretty good selling Z50 now and Sony has an entire line-up. So a little product care here and there would be helpful.
Completely agree. Recently I was considering a Sony a7 iv to have access to all those nice Tamron lenses... :eek: But than I took my Canon-medicine, and now it's over. Probably an R6. Looks amazing!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GMAX

moments that matters
Jan 26, 2021

- improved eye-AF
- 4k 60 FPS

…and the R would definitely deserve a focusstacking update!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0