Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

Sep 11, 2012
I think you can do exactly that. In addition to AE Lock, the R5 and many older dSLR's offer "AE Lock with Hold." You don't have to keep mashing AE Lock while composing. VERY handy when using Av.

You can access the option under the camera's button customization menu. The symbol is *H. It is mentioned VERY briefly in the EOS R5 AUG on page 826. Details are offered by Canon at this link:

Personally, I've transitioned to Manual mode for shooting situations where I need to hold Exposure (say when background light changes, but subject's lighting changes very little), but I still like Av for situations where my lighting on the subject changes rapidly. I mostly use Spot Metering, but the apparent exposure in the EVF plus the Histogram in the EVF have removed all the guess work that sometimes failed me on the 5DIV.
I wasn't talking about actual exposure lock, but about locking the brightness of the EVF when in exposure simulation off mode..By the way, I use *H too. It's a pity it doesn't work in conjunction with AE lock with the shutterbutton though.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I wasn't talking about actual exposure lock, but about locking the brightness of the EVF when in exposure simulation off mode..By the way, I use *H too. It's a pity it doesn't work in conjunction with AE lock with the shutterbutton though.
Sorry, paul, but I don't understand what you mean. If Exposure Simulation is OFF, it's just allowing us to see what we are shooting, not know anything about our exposure settings...You can turn down the brightness to an extent, but when Exp Sim is OFF, the EVF is just there to let you see. And the Histogram goes away too. You have to determine proper exposure through some other means, such as the meter gauge on the bottom of the EVF, or with a light meter.

However, Evaluative Metering seems to maintain a steady EVF brightness when Exp Sim is OFF. Other metering modes, such as Spot, result in significant changes in the brightness of the EVF display.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2012
Sorry, paul, but I don't understand what you mean. If Exposure Simulation is OFF, it's just allowing us to see what we are shooting, not know anything about our exposure settings...You can turn down the brightness to an extent, but when Exp Sim is OFF, the EVF is just there to let you see. And the Histogram goes away too. You have to determine proper exposure through some other means, such as the meter gauge on the bottom of the EVF, or with a light meter.

However, Evaluative Metering seems to maintain a steady EVF brightness when Exp Sim is OFF. Other metering modes, such as Spot, result in significant changes in the brightness of the EVF display.
Well, imagine you're in a room with dark walls, and a big window with a beautiful view. Outside the sun is shining. You wan't to take a portrait with an off cameraflash of a person in front of the window, with the view in the background, and expose for the sunny daylight outside.Let's say 250, f8, 100 iso. You won't see the face in the EVF, just a silhouet. That is the problem...:) There really is no way around it at this moment. I've worked with Sony A9 (and II) for 3 years and used spot metering for this situation. But with Canon you can't move the spot metering, so you're model is stuck in the middle of the frame( if you wan't to see something).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
still no focus point based spot exposure measuring for R5 :(
Yeah, Nikon offers focus based spot metering also in prosumer level cameras, not only in the flagship D(X) (X = 4, 5, 6...) sort of cameras. This is one of the few things that really annoy me about Canon's policy since many years.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Sorry, paul, but I don't understand what you mean. If Exposure Simulation is OFF, it's just allowing us to see what we are shooting, not know anything about our exposure settings...
The problem is that in manual mode with exposure simulation off, the camera's viewfinder just ignores the *H command, so you cannot freeze the EVF gain level and recompose.

Probably a bug.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The problem is that in manual mode with exposure simulation off, the camera's viewfinder just ignores the *H command, so you cannot freeze the EVF gain level and recompose.

Probably a bug.
I believe *H is for Av mode.

Are we just talking about the brightness of the EVF? In that case, mine works fine in Evaluative, but in the other exposure modes, it is not pleasant because it gets brighter and dimmer. Very distracting.

Upvote 0
I think you can do exactly that. In addition to AE Lock, the R5 and many older dSLR's offer "AE Lock with Hold." You don't have to keep mashing AE Lock while composing. VERY handy when using Av.

You can access the option under the camera's button customization menu. The symbol is *H. It is mentioned VERY briefly in the EOS R5 AUG on page 826. Details are offered by Canon at this link:

Personally, I've transitioned to Manual mode for shooting situations where I need to hold Exposure (say when background light changes, but subject's lighting changes very little), but I still like Av for situations where my lighting on the subject changes rapidly. I mostly use Spot Metering, but the apparent exposure in the EVF plus the Histogram in the EVF have removed all the guess work that sometimes failed me on the 5DIV.
What a gem of a tip. I often use AE Lock in Av mode but it's frustration when I accidentally enable it and struggle to turn it off or have to re engage it for multiple shots. "AE Lock with Hold" is exactly what I wanted but never know it was there.

Thank you YuengLinger

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Well, imagine you're in a room with dark walls, and a big window with a beautiful view. Outside the sun is shining. You wan't to take a portrait with an off cameraflash of a person in front of the window, with the view in the background, and expose for the sunny daylight outside.Let's say 250, f8, 100 iso. You won't see the face in the EVF, just a silhouet. That is the problem...:) There really is no way around it at this moment. I've worked with Sony A9 (and II) for 3 years and used spot metering for this situation. But with Canon you can't move the spot metering, so you're model is stuck in the middle of the frame( if you wan't to see something).

I think I get what you are saying. You want to be able to use Exposure Simulation with flash.

If this is the case, I stumbled on a fairly simple way to do it--sort of.

If you have a Speedlite on-camera and you are in a dimly lit room, have Exp Sim enabled.

Then press the Multi-function button.

Now press the Set button, regardless of which option is selected after pressing Multi-function button.

Voila, you have Exposure Simulation; however, as soon as I half press the shutter button, I lose that simulation.

So maybe this is a bug?

I remember another thread here about this, which involved using the DoF button after it had been assigned as something else. And then I had to double-press the DoF button. Plus DoF is more awkward for me than the SET button. It also does not maintain the Simulation when the shutter button is pressed.

Here's that thread: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...avior-with-and-without-hotshoe-trigger.39232/

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
OK, I've reread your reply. I'm sorry I was slow on the uptake. You want to be able to BRIGHTEN the EVF as needed when using OFF camera strobe so you can compose with strong backlight--but NOT affect the exposure settings.

Now I get it. (Right?) So then how can this be done? When I use my strobes I'm in a more or less uniformly lit studio space.

When I do use flash with a bright background, for fill, I've been doing it the old fashioned way of turning off the darn Speedlite or Commander to get the proper background exposure.

Yes, it would be nice to have a better way! Anybody?

(Btw, the above reply does work in a dimly lit room to show how underexposed I am for the background with ON camera flash. Oy.)

Edit: I'm going out tomorrow with my Buff Einsteins and Cyber Commander with strong backlight. Thanks for the prod!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I just blame crappy distortion on the brick maker and brick layer.

On the subject of specialized AF, I'd imagine that purchasers of the new VR lens will have the option of "unlocking" some taboo modes.
Yes, I can imagine the new Canon VR lens will be an absolute hit in the p*rn industry!
Did he need to put in a smiley to show he was making a joke?
Hi Alan, to answer your question, yes, sometimes I feel I do need to state the obvious and put the smiley there . You'd be surprised how people can take the most tongue-in-cheek comment seriously, or take a harmless comment as a personal insult on forums! I figure if people don't mistakenly react with big long comments to dispute what I said in jest, or to defend themselves against an accusation that was never made, then it saves people time!

Curious to ask why you're asking? You can make this thread about me, but I don't think a meta-analysis of my comments would really be of interest to anyone! :)

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I just blame crappy distortion on the brick maker and brick layer.

On the subject of specialized AF, I'd imagine that purchasers of the new VR lens will have the option of "unlocking" some taboo modes.
Yes, I can imagine the new Canon VR lens will be an absolute hit in the p*rn industry!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Alan, to answer your question, yes, sometimes I feel I do need to state the obvious and put the smiley there . You'd be surprised how people can take the most tongue-in-cheek comment seriously, or take a harmless comment as a personal insult on forums! I figure if people don't mistakenly react with big long comments to dispute what I said in jest, or to defend themselves against an accusation that was never made, then it saves people time!

Curious to ask why you're asking? You can make this thread about me, but I don't think a meta-analysis of my comments would really be of interest to anyone! :)
It was a rhetorical question. You mistakenly corrected someone’s English because you misunderstood he was making a joke, and then made in a reply to me, when I explained it to you, that a joke was not amusing if it had to be explained. Don’t think it was a meta-analysis, it was a response to your comment to me.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ok! Using an Einstein 640 outside with the Cyber Commander, very strong afternoon sun, and I was underexposing the background about two stops. I could still see my wife's face as I was composing. Exposure Simulation was enabled. Very easy.

But you must have a bigger contrast to deal with, the dark room and the bright daylight outside?

I don't see much trouble with just getting the correct exposure on the face with a meter, then going down two or so stops to avoid blowing out the background. Once you have Exposure Simulation disabled, you should be able to see your subject's face just fine.

Or am I still not getting the issue?

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2012
Ok! Using an Einstein 640 outside with the Cyber Commander, very strong afternoon sun, and I was underexposing the background about two stops. I could still see my wife's face as I was composing. Exposure Simulation was enabled. Very easy.

But you must have a bigger contrast to deal with, the dark room and the bright daylight outside?

I don't see much trouble with just getting the correct exposure on the face with a meter, then going down two or so stops to avoid blowing out the background. Once you have Exposure Simulation disabled, you should be able to see your subject's face just fine.

Or am I still not getting the issue?
Not completely. The problem is with Exposure Simulation Disabled there is no real way to influence the image in your EVF. If it's too dark ( because of strong back light) you just have to live with that. (or use spotmetering and keep your model exactly in the middle of the frame..:-( )

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Not completely. The problem is with Exposure Simulation Disabled there is no real way to influence the image in your EVF. If it's too dark ( because of strong back light) you just have to live with that. (or use spotmetering and keep your model exactly in the middle of the frame..:-( )
I wouldn't mind dispensing completely with flash-meters, but for now they work.

So, you just want to be able to further brighten the EVF when Expo Sim is disabled? Have the background completely blown out so that you can see expressions on the subject?

Maybe HDR? Seriously, have you tried changing the EVF by using Canon's Picture Style Editor? I did some pretty extreme styles that really look like HDR when I'm looking through the EVF. Maybe a custom Picture Style in your EVF will give you a workaround.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
It was a rhetorical question. You mistakenly corrected someone’s English because you misunderstood he was making a joke, and then made in a reply to me, when I explained it to you, that a joke was not amusing if it had to be explained. Don’t think it was a meta-analysis, it was a response to your comment to me.
Thanks for explanation, no problem. Yeah, I misunderstood the joke and was just stating the obvious, nothing more implied. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind dispensing completely with flash-meters, but for now they work.

So, you just want to be able to further brighten the EVF when Expo Sim is disabled? Have the background completely blown out so that you can see expressions on the subject?

Maybe HDR? Seriously, have you tried changing the EVF by using Canon's Picture Style Editor? I did some pretty extreme styles that really look like HDR when I'm looking through the EVF. Maybe a custom Picture Style in your EVF will give you a workaround.
I made some custom picture styles as a workaround... first I tried in-camera but it didn't make much difference... then I used the picture style editor to create some low contrast styles with shadows pushed to the extreme. They actually worked to show the subject's expression in the viewfinder... but the resulting image looked truly awful. Sure, the RAW file is fine but it was making it hard to actually judge the flash exposure, light ratio, etc while shooting. And I would never want to show my client one of those photos on the back of the camera, which is something I often like to do in these sorts of situations (dramatic sunset shots). So in the end I gave up on the idea.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2020
I think I get what you are saying. You want to be able to use Exposure Simulation with flash.

If this is the case, I stumbled on a fairly simple way to do it--sort of.

If you have a Speedlite on-camera and you are in a dimly lit room, have Exp Sim enabled.

Then press the Multi-function button.

Now press the Set button, regardless of which option is selected after pressing Multi-function button.

Voila, you have Exposure Simulation; however, as soon as I half press the shutter button, I lose that simulation.

So maybe this is a bug?

I remember another thread here about this, which involved using the DoF button after it had been assigned as something else. And then I had to double-press the DoF button. Plus DoF is more awkward for me than the SET button. It also does not maintain the Simulation when the shutter button is pressed.

Here's that thread: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...avior-with-and-without-hotshoe-trigger.39232/
I put a piece of tape over the 4 small hotshoe contacts and leave the large main firing contact exposed. Now whether I have a flash or a transmitter on the hotshoe, I have full exposure simulation with full flash control.

• Love
Upvote 0