Wait for 5D4 or go for 5D3/6D right now ?

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I'd forget about cameras that don't exist. The 6 D sounds perfect but I don't know what lenses you have or what else you enjoy photographing. If your really only buying for one trip then rent. A 70D may be fine enough or if you also do action the 7D2 would be obvious and last probably as long as your 400D

What ever you do good luck with your choice!

Upvote 0
Considering the interview and the translation, as well as the information provided on this site, clearly demonstrates that the 5D Mark IV will NOT be the high MP camera, I'd wager it's irrelevant. You can also use common sense and understand that a camera's logical upgrade wouldn't be from a 22 MP sensor with the 1Dx's AF system (mostly) to a 53 MP sensor camera.

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
Considering the interview and the translation, as well as the information provided on this site, clearly demonstrates that the 5D Mark IV will NOT be the high MP camera, I'd wager it's irrelevant. You can also use common sense and understand that a camera's logical upgrade wouldn't be from a 22 MP sensor with the 1Dx's AF system (mostly) to a 53 MP sensor camera.

Very bizar comment. Careful with glue... Its not very healthy you know.

The original poster will - as I wrote - be better informed to make his choice later this Spring when Canon launches its new high pixel camera. In ample time before his trip to Europe in June.

Its totally irrelevant what's its going to be called or be like or cost. He will still be in a better position to make his decision at that time. So I suggest he waits. End of story.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
bdunbar79 said:

Very bizar comment. Careful with glue... Its not very healthy you know.

The original poster will - as I wrote - be better informed to make his choice later this Spring when Canon launches its new high pixel camera. In ample time before his trip to Europe in June.

Its totally irrelevant what's its going to be called or be like or cost. He will still be in a better position to make his decision at that time. So I suggest he waits. End of story.

What does the high MP release have to do with the 5D4? I don't doubt he might be better off waiting to make a decision, but the high MP body release has nothing at all to do with the 5D4 and for some odd reason you keep linking the two.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Almost identical problem what I'm thinking at the other thread.

I haven't found answer to my question yet.

Possible alternative options for you:

Buy used 7D (especially if you have plenty -S lenses) and sell it when 5D4 comes out. You'll "lose" <$200, and meantime you'll get plenty more camera than 400D for your trip.

Buy used 5D3, and sell it when 5D4 comes out. You'll lose maybe ~$500, give or take.

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
Almost identical problem what I'm thinking at the other thread.

I haven't found answer to my question yet.

Possible alternative options for you:

Buy used 7D (especially if you have plenty -S lenses) and sell it when 5D4 comes out. You'll "lose" <$200, and meantime you'll get plenty more camera than 400D for your trip.

Buy used 5D3, and sell it when 5D4 comes out. You'll lose maybe ~$500, give or take.

Buying a 5D3 is the most logical. Just get the 5D3 now and be done with it.

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
Unless you are going to rent for your trip, and risk fumbling around with a body you have never used before, I would suggest you buy something at least two months before your trip. You have no EF-S lenses, and you made no mention of shooting high speed action events, so your obvious choice is something full frame. You can take really nice pictures with a 5D classic, let alone newer models in the 5D line. It would seem prudent to consider a 6D, which is available today at bargain prices compared to its introductory price. I have taken excellent picture of raptors in flight with my 6D and a 400mm f/5.6 lens. I know I have no need for a 50 megapixel body now or in the future for what I shoot. Don't be obsessed with the latest and greatest body, as if it will magically improve you output. You seem really focused on fast lenses, yet you have nothing over 135mm. Depending on what you may find you want to shoot in the future, after a FF something purchase, consider a longer zoom that will work with a Teleconverter 1.4X version III. That could be either of the 70-200mm IS lenses. I have both the f/4 and f/2.8 II. Both work extremely well with the TC III. Then take both bodies with you on your trip, and however many lenses make since to you from a bulk and weight stand point. I recently returned from South America where I took a 6D and a 60D, plus a 24-105mm f/4 and a 70-200mm f/4. That covered all my needs, shot 85% with the 6D and 24-105mm, and had two bodies and two lenses incase something broke. (Nothing broke). It was also convenient that both bodies used the same memory cards and batteries. That was a major issue in keeping the quantity of equipment under control. Unless this is a paid gig, you want to enjoy your trip and not be a slave to your hoard of equipment. Enjoy your adventure.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
alextang0112 said:
Thanks for all your replies. :)

The lens I have are:
35mm F1.4L
50mm F1.4
135mm F2L
16-35mm F2.8L

And the photos I usually took are landscape and people, so I think the features of 6D can meet my requirement.

I don't think I'll buy 5D3 because it's quite old. :-\
Go for the 6D that now can be found for around $1,200 on eBay, you won't regret your decision. I went to the 5D for the only reason of shooting fast action on the budget.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hjalmarg1 said:
Sabaki said:
How does Canon's full frame lineup currently compare to Nikon's?

We go: 6D --> 5D3 --- 1DX

Nikon?
Nikon: D610---> D810---> D4s

Nikon: D610---> D750---> D810---> D4s---> Even Nikon aren't sure DF---> D3X

Yes Nikon currently sell 6 different FF bodies.

To be fair, the D610 is closest to the Canon 6D, the new D750 is closest to the 5D MkIII but lower/differently spec'ed, the D810 is the high MP landscapers 5D MkIII but differently spec'ed, the D4s is almost identical to the 1DX, the DF is a crazy funky hipsters dream, and the D3X is long overdue a refresh, it is the equivalent of the Canon 1DS MkIII and is supposed to be getting the 50+MP Sony sensor and becoming the D4X quite soon.

Upvote 0
With the insane prices on the Canon 6D I'd probably grab one now and take very good care of it so you can sell it off when you want to upgrade.

I'd expect to wait at least 6-9 months for a new 5D and at least 1 to 1.5 years for a new 6D.

For $1200-1300, a 6D is one hell of a deal. And if you can sell it off for a very modest estimate of $700 you're essentially renting it for like $50 a month.

Upvote 0
alextang0112 said:
Thanks for all your replies. :)

The lens I have are:
35mm F1.4L
50mm F1.4
135mm F2L
16-35mm F2.8L

And the photos I usually took are landscape and people, so I think the features of 6D can meet my requirement.

I don't think I'll buy 5D3 because it's quite old. :-\

Not to overlook the obvious...

Your lenses will have a much different "look" on the 6D (full frame) compared to the view through an APS-C camera.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
You should rent for a 2 week trip and see if you even think FF is worth the monies. Which ever body you rent, rent the one you can afford to buy after the trip. If nothing eventful is on the way to june, save the cash and if a new 5D is released, great.

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
You will not get a bad buy if you buy now. As and when new models arrive, they will be back up to launch price, far higher than the street price now. When I bought my 6D, I could have had a 5D2 discounted to the same price.

If you do wait, you may we'll find that the 6D2 is priced level with the 5D3 for similar spec, and the 5D4 is yet another step up the ladder. Buy now and enjoy!

Upvote 0