Wait for 5D4 or go for 5D3/6D right now ?

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
zim said:
alextang0112 said:
Thanks for all your replies. :)

The lens I have are:
35mm F1.4L
50mm F1.4
135mm F2L
16-35mm F2.8L

And the photos I usually took are landscape and people, so I think the features of 6D can meet my requirement.

I don't think I'll buy 5D3 because it's quite old. :-\

6D

Rent, Rent Rent.

The Af- you will either think its fine or you will hate it. It is literally the only reason ill be offloading mine. It worked well enough for 6000 frames throughout japan (not super accurate, but enough that i got my pictures), but oddly enough its been extremely hit or miss when using locally with models standing still. Focus/recompose is useless for my shooting style, but for landscapes, no big deal.

Best thing about the 6d is extremely well handled iso noise. I mean, its freaking incredible. Of those 6k frame, i have used noise reduction on almost no images- shot day and a lot of night.

Im hoping to offload it in the next few weeks and pick up a 5d3 before my next japan trip involving lot of moving people and landscapes alike.I know the iso noise isnt as good but its all about the AF.

Good luck with your camera purchase.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
alextang0112 said:
Thanks for all your replies. :)

The lens I have are:
35mm F1.4L
50mm F1.4
135mm F2L
16-35mm F2.8L

And the photos I usually took are landscape and people, so I think the features of 6D can meet my requirement.

I don't think I'll buy 5D3 because it's quite old. :-\
If the 6D meets your needs great. But, the don't reject the 5D3 on it's perceived age. You will be missing a great body.

The 5D3 is still the body of choice for event, portrait, and wedding photographers. It's eclipsed only by the 1Dx for those with more demanding action needs -- both were released into the wild in March of 2012. Both are still at the top of their game.

I don't follow Nikon and don't know their release cycles. Perhaps Nikon is in the habit of releasing new pro bodies every year or two. Canon's will do this with the Rebel line. I always suspected it was a marketing ploy to benefit from slapping "new" in their ads to sway the amateur market. But, the life-cycle of Canon's pro line is much longer.

My advice remains, get the body that best fits your current needs. If there is a feature missing in Canon's current lineup, then wait. What, specifically, is missing from the 5D3 that you hope will be in the 5D4?

I'd like to see another stop improvement in high ISO noise, a bump in FPS, and maybe a bump in buffer performance. But, I just described the 1Dx. So, maybe I just want a 1Dx with a 5D3 price tag.

Upvote 0
alextang0112 said:
Hey guys,

My old DSLR body is canon 400D....it's very very out of fashion.

I'm going to take a 2-week trip to Germany in June and I should bring a good and reliable camera with me at then.

Should I wait for 5D4 ?

Any idea ?

Thank you.

Why not get a Canon 70D ??? It's a BIG step-up from your 400D (XTi in the USA). Or you could wait for the 5D5 ???

Upvote 0
ScottyP said:
If you don't spend the extra portion of your budget on the 5d3 you can put it to good use on lenses. Better lenses will make a bigger improvement in your photography than will better bodies.

I don't agree with this common theory. It might have been true in the film days, but not with digital cameras. There are plenty of situations where better bodies will provide bigger improvements than lenses. Bodies can improve autofocus, low light and dynamic range. They can also improve resolution, depth of field control and flash capabilities. I think you would see a huge difference going from an XTi to a 5D3.
Of course lenses are important too, but bodies can also make a huge difference in some cases.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kmccarthy.
I don't read Scotty's post quite the way you did, he wasn't saying to stick with the 400D, but to consider the savings by going to a 6D instead of a 5DIII if the OP didn't need the complex AF. The 6D does the things you list as well or slightly better than the 5DIII from what I have read, that is not to say that it is not the lesser camera, it is horses for courses!

Cheers, Graham.

Kmccarthy said:
ScottyP said:
If you don't spend the extra portion of your budget on the 5d3 you can put it to good use on lenses. Better lenses will make a bigger improvement in your photography than will better bodies.

I don't agree with this common theory. It might have been true in the film days, but not with digital cameras. There are plenty of situations where better bodies will provide bigger improvements than lenses. Bodies can improve autofocus, low light and dynamic range. They can also improve resolution, depth of field control and flash capabilities. I think you would see a huge difference going from an XTi to a 5D3.
Of course lenses are important too, but bodies can also make a huge difference in some cases.

Upvote 0
Kmccarthy said:
I don't agree with this common theory. It might have been true in the film days, but not with digital cameras. There are plenty of situations where better bodies will provide bigger improvements than lenses.

You are taking the advice out of its normal context which is upgrading to the next camera model. Not going from an entry level to a high level enthusiast camera.

I could show you a huge stack of normal exposure raw shots from the 5DII and 5DIII and you would not have any chance what so ever to visually tell the difference between them.

On the other hand if shooting a 5DIII with the kit lens and shooting the 5DII with the 85L anyone would immidiately be able see a visually significant difference in the output if the 85L was shot wide open or nearly wide open. It would not be an incremental difference (as in a slightly better qualitative output) but a transformative difference (as in a visually different kind of output alltogether).

That's why its excellent advice for most people to add fast primes or top line zooms to their kits before going for the next camera body. Getting the plastic fantastic 50mm f/1.8 for $100, a $200 macro lens and a 135L (or a 15mm lens) has a vastly larger impact on your shooting options than forking $2.000+ over the counter just to roll over your kit lens while upgrading from a 5DII to a 5DIII.

Just like I shunned the 5DIII for its lackluster improvements over the 5DII others here have already rulled out getting the 5DIV because they are happy with what the 5DIII can do for them. Both options make perfect sense. Buying every generation of a camera body seldom does if money is important to you unless you are buying into a very specific need that the new body fullfills.

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
If you ask this question you should never buy. There will be a knew camera always.

My question would be: which glass you have: EF-S or EF Lenses?

If your lens collection is mainly EF-S: go for the 7D2
If your lens collection is mainly EF: I would prefer the 5D3 due to the better autofocus.

And both are still in the middle of the product life cycle....

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
kaffikopp said:
Berty Rampkin said:
6D as long as you are not going to shoot video, and if Moire isnt too much of a concern. 6D might be a bit disappointing if your planning on capturing images of buildings and what not

I didn't think the 6D had issues with moire with stills, only video?
Just video, still images are top-notch quality, some even say a wee bit better than 5D III :)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Khalai said:
kaffikopp said:
Berty Rampkin said:
6D as long as you are not going to shoot video, and if Moire isnt too much of a concern. 6D might be a bit disappointing if your planning on capturing images of buildings and what not

I didn't think the 6D had issues with moire with stills, only video?
Just video, still images are top-notch quality, some even say a wee bit better than 5D III :)

I think that 'wee better' part all depends on the user. Just like how a great photographer can produce better images with a T2i than someone without the skill set using a 1Dx.

Upvote 0
Khalai said:

Yep that's what I figured, just recently got a 6D myself, was strongly considering the 5D3 but figured it was a bit expensive for me considering I don't really have any use for such a sophisticated AF-system for the types of photography I do. Haven't gotten a chance to use the 6D much yet but from what I've seen so far I'm very impressed. Certainly feels like a worthy upgrade from my trusty 5D2 :)

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2014
I agree with Maiaibing & JoFT that since I have two EF-S lenses & still use them, my best camera for me to buy was the 7D ii compared to my old 50D. I am now quite happy with the 7Dii and will probably never upgrade again, also can’t afford the 5Dii full frame, I’m going on 64 years of age and am finding that the learning curve for new cameras is getting a lot harder. I don’t think I can do it again. If I was to upgrade again I think I would buy a new 500 Do as my last purchase whenever that comes out.
Going from the 400D to the 7Dii would have you on a very steep learning curve. As others have said you would have to list you lenses to get a better idea of what your needs are.

Upvote 0

Tabor Warren Photography

I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
Feb 2, 2012
Tulsa, OK
www.photosbytabor.com
If you want an amazing camera for your trip, I don't think you could go wrong with the 6D.

If you have the budget then ABSOLUTELY the 5DIII.

If you have the patience, 5DIV all the way, it's hard to go wrong with Canon's latest and greatest.

I hope this helps!
-Tabor

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
privatebydesign said:
(...lots of blah...) you don't know if the OP is best advised getting a high MP camera if that is the 5D MkIII replacement, yet you are confident enough to tell them "it will be on the shelf at that time for sure"

You must have a lot of time on your hands... I stand by my wager - any takes?

Too bad you didn't out your money where your mouth was. Could have helped me finance my next camera.

Happy shooting!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Maiaibing said:
Maiaibing said:
privatebydesign said:
(...lots of blah...) you don't know if the OP is best advised getting a high MP camera if that is the 5D MkIII replacement, yet you are confident enough to tell them "it will be on the shelf at that time for sure"

You must have a lot of time on your hands... I stand by my wager - any takes?

Too bad you didn't out your money where your mouth was. Could have helped me finance my next camera.

Happy shooting!

If you believe the rumoured 50MP 5DS is a more appropriate camera for the OP than the also rumoured 5D MkIV late this year, then you are more of an idiot than I thought.

Why do you believe somebody moving up from a 400D and wants a general holiday camera would be best served by, by all rumours, a 50MP studio and landscape orientated camera that tops out at 6,400iso?

It sounds like he will get buyers remorse getting a 5D MkIII, but the actual replacement of that, the 5D MkIV, which will be a high end general purpose camera much more suited to the OP's desires, isn't even rumoured to be announced until late this year, well past his June trip and nowhere near "it will be on the shelf at that time for sure"

So, apart from the facts that you still don't know if the OP is best advised getting a high MP camera, or one that tops out at 6,400iso, you also don't know that the rumoured 5DS is the 5D MkIII replacement (indeed it seems it is not) and the fact that the actual 5D MkIV will not be announced in time for his trip let alone "on the shelf".

Now tell me again, where exactly is my comment incorrect?

Happy shooting!

Upvote 0