Wait for 5D4 or go for 5D3/6D right now ?

Hey guys,

My old DSLR body is canon 400D....it's very very out of fashion.

I'm going to take a 2-week trip to Germany in June and I should bring a good and reliable camera with me at then.

Should I wait for 5D4 ?

Actually no one can promise me the release date of 5D4.

So maybe 5D4 would come later than June.

Or just buy 5D3 or 6D right now ?

What really makes me hesitate is the fact that both of 5D3/6D are not new...

Any idea ?

Thank you.

alextang0112 said:
Hey guys,

I'm going to take a 2-week trip to Germany in June and I should bring a good and reliable camera with me at then.

Should I wait for 5D4 ?

Any idea ?

Thank you.

I have the 6D and it's a great all around body and nice and light for travel. They can be had for under $1300 refurbished at Canon.

You might be waiting a while for products that are no more than "vaporware" right now. If it were me, I'd want the camera well before my travel to become acquainted.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Any of those fine cameras will suit you well into the future. You cannot shoot with bodies that don't exist. I find the 5D3 offers more camera than 99% of the photographers I meet actually need. Is it GAS that drives the latest greatest for you or does your particular shooting style require a feature set the 5D3/6D does not offer? Plus, if there is a release after you make a purchase, Canon has incredible resale value. It's all good.

Upvote 0

Patak

Take that shot for god sake !
Nov 17, 2014
Canada
5D Mk III is an overall excellent camera body. the price came down significantly. the next version will likely have more megapixels and probably better dynamic range. 5D III will still be excellent for portraits, sport, low light, video etc.
the new version will likely be at least the same price or more as when Mk III was released and will have huge files if you shoot in RAW and this will require faster and more powerful post processing equipment.

Upvote 0
You don't say what you shoot and you don't say what your 400d/Xti lacks.

If you are getting by with the Xti you probably don't need the 5d3. It offers a complex autofocus for motion/sports while the 6d's is more basic (though not as basic as the 400d). The 6d, though, is actually better with it's center point at focusing in dim light.

If you don't spend the extra portion of your budget on the 5d3 you can put it to good use on lenses. Better lenses will make a bigger improvement in your photography than will better bodies.

What lenses do you have now? The biggest expense in going from crop to full frame may be getting new lenses. The FF won't use EF-s crop frame lenses at all, and if you have not yet spent some money on good quality lenses you would do well to go cheaper with the body so you can buy some good lenses that won't hold back the performance of a new body. Mediocre lenses won't give great IQ even on an expensive body.

Upvote 0
If it was me, based on trip days will see how much it costs to rent. If sports photography will consider 5d else 6D is sufficient. If the rental cost is less than 10%, will rent and experience the camera. Else will buy used and sell it off when new model is released and price reaches my effort ability. I was using xti before I moved to 6D and I am very happy with 6D

Upvote 0
The best gear is the gear you have at the moment - you can't shoot with unexisting camera, whether it's good or bad.

If you consider upgrade to be necessary - do it, but remember about lenses for FF.

What lenses do you have, and what do you shoot?
Crop has its own pros and contras - for example, if you prefer large DOF, maybe, you don't even need FF, and 7d2 is what you really need.

Upvote 0
alextang0112 said:
Hey guys,

Should I wait for 5D4 ?

If we are talking June and you are considering a 5DIV wait - it will be on the shelf at that time for sure. Already in SEP 2014 Canon said a high megapix body was on the way because Canon customers wanted it and needed it. This was reiterated in DEC. Its coming now.

On a more general note I would forego 5DIII altogether unless possibly the price plummets when the 5DIV is launched (may very well happen). Canon continued to sell the 5DII for quite a while along side with the 5DIII - and it became a super value offer at the time.

6D is by all accounts what you should be looking at if you need a camera upgrade today. Its dirt cheap, is widely said to take better pictures than the 5DIII and you can always sell it for a minor loss if you want to go for the 5DIV.

Then there of course is the Nikon D750. You do not write about your existing lens selection. But if you were starting from scratch or need new lenses anyway that is the body I would strongly recommend you give a solid look. The highest DPReview score for a DSLR yet - faster, better iso, better DR, better AF and much cheaper than the 5DIII.

Personally, I'd however certainly wait a few weeks more until you know more about the 5DIV and can make a better informed decission at that time.

Good luck with your choice!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Maiaibing said:
alextang0112 said:
Hey guys,

Should I wait for 5D4 ?

If we are talking June and you are considering a 5DIV wait - it will be on the shelf at that time for sure. Already in SEP 2014 Canon said a high megapix body was on the way because Canon customers wanted it and needed it. This was reiterated in DEC. Its coming now.

And you know that because you have inside knowledge on Canon's release dates and supply schedules, or because it is what you, personally, hope for?

Further, who said the 5D MkIV will be high MP and why do you think the OP might need that?

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Maiaibing said:
alextang0112 said:
Hey guys,

Should I wait for 5D4 ?

And you know that because you have inside knowledge on Canon's release dates and supply schedules, or because it is what you, personally, hope for?

Further, who said the 5D MkIV will be high MP and why do you think the OP might need that?

Read my post and you will see I build on the info Canon has shared so far.

I have no idea if there will be a 5DIV ever or what it will look like if there is. But I'd be very happy to take a substantial bet on Canon launching a high megapix camera before June. Will it be called 5DIV? This was how the question was put to the forum - and why I used that in my answer. I am sure the original poster understands.

Upvote 0
alextang0112 said:
Hey guys,

Should I wait for 5D4 ?

Any idea ?

Thank you.

Do you own any lenses that will work on the 5DIII or 6D? Lenses that are not EF-S?

If you own regular EF lenses, the 6D will exceed what you have been using by a wide margin. Even a 5DII will be an improvement, much less a 5DIII.

If you do not own any EF lenses, then sticking with an APS-C body and going to a 70D would be a big upgrade... unless you want to buy lenses too :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Maiaibing said:
privatebydesign said:
Maiaibing said:
alextang0112 said:
Hey guys,

Should I wait for 5D4 ?

I have no idea if there will be a 5DIV ever or what it will look like if there is. But I'd be very happy to take a substantial bet on Canon launching a high megapix camera before June. Will it be called 5DIV? This was how the question was put to the forum - and why I used that in my answer. I am sure the original poster understands.

I did, that is why I felt compelled to question it.

You haven't 'built' on the information Canon have released, you have made huge leaps of faith and conflated your suppositions with it.

First, the thread is about a 5D MkIV (the 5D MkIII replacement), no mention of high MP's so that wasn't how the question was put to the forum. Second, why conflate the 5D MkIII replacement with the rumoured high MP camera? Third, there is a massive difference between you taking a massive bet on your hunch/wish/hope, where you stand to lose, and telling somebody else that "it will be on the shelf at that time for sure" .

So, you don't know what will be released, you don't know when a 5D MkIV will be released, you don't know when a high MP camera will be released, you don't know if those two cameras will be the same, you don't know if the OP is best advised getting a high MP camera if that is the 5D MkIII replacement, yet you are confident enough to tell them "it will be on the shelf at that time for sure" when they are planning a big expense for a major travel.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
The 5D3 is no senior citizen. It's more of a sophomore with a strong future (even though it's almost three years old).

Based on latest speculation, a high megapixel 5Ds will likely be the next FF body. Perhaps a 6D2 will follow shortly after. But, the 5D4 would be the true successor to the 5D3. As long as sales are strong with the 5D3, I wouldn't expect the 5D4 this year. Regardless, put your need ahead of the speculation.

A big benefit of the 5D3's age is numerous price drops. Take advantage of them.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Maiaibing said:
privatebydesign said:
Maiaibing said:
alextang0112 said:
Hey guys,

Should I wait for 5D4 ?

I did, that is why I felt compelled to question it.

You haven't 'built' on the information Canon have released, you have made huge leaps of faith and conflated your suppositions with it.

First, the thread is about a 5D MkIV (the 5D MkIII replacement), no mention of high MP's so that wasn't how the question was put to the forum. Second, why conflate the 5D MkIII replacement with the rumoured high MP camera? Third, there is a massive difference between you taking a massive bet on your hunch/wish/hope, where you stand to lose, and telling somebody else that "it will be on the shelf at that time for sure" .

So, you don't know what will be released, you don't know when a 5D MkIV will be released, you don't know when a high MP camera will be released, you don't know if those two cameras will be the same, you don't know if the OP is best advised getting a high MP camera if that is the 5D MkIII replacement, yet you are confident enough to tell them "it will be on the shelf at that time for sure" when they are planning a big expense for a major travel.

You must have a lot of time on your hands... I stand by my wager - any takes?

Upvote 0